ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brands Hatch (RenaultSport) - The Mk1s Do Battle

Had a really good few days down at Brands Hatch earlier this week for the RenaultSport trackday that was taking place there. Quite a few members off here, and other forums were in attendance....met some new faces, and caught up with old ones too...

Had some epic battles out on track with Jay S, whiteley, midge, wobba, summeh and a few other Mk1 owners. Had some really good outings behind and infront of various Mk2s also....very enjoyable day.

Just finished rendering a few of the videos taken from Whiteleys car, and one from my bullet camera before the recorder wanted to work no more. But first...some pictures:

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

Footage from my bullet camera, excuse the pauses as the recorder was dying, and the lack of sound, but oh well :cool:

[youtube]QcBU-OEaXD0[/youtube]

Racing Blue 197 @ 2min 19secs
Blue 172 @ 3min 18secs
Blue 172 (With massive CS Sticker) @ 4min12sec

182 Trophy @ 6min 14sec

Who is who on here? :)

Rest of the videos were from Whiteleys car, click the HQ button for better quality on any of them...

Firstly the Mk1 Battle between Me, Jay S, Whiteley and Midge...best of the day!

[youtube]sFnCdH3RsF8[/youtube]

[youtube]Q17rPd00b7g[/youtube]

Then Whiteley vs some various 1*2's, maybe members on here?

[youtube]7vLOvAT6Ph8[/youtube]

Few more to come later once YouTube gets a move on...:cool:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Looks like you had a fun day out mate. Nice pictures, nice cars. Greasy conditions made it more interesting i bet ;)

I think the Trophy in the 1st Video was a guy of the Trophy forum, he was there with a mate in a white megane r26, his user name is Delongi, not sure if he uses this forum though.

The other Trophy that was there (other than mine) was driven by father and son, it was there 1st ever outing in the car and i think it showed, they were usually the one's with 10 cars trailing them, still as long as they enjoyed the day that's all that matters.

Just need to watch the others now

Chris

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Good vids. Pretty sure that was my stint in the Alien 200 in the third vid.

Great to see it out on the track where it belongs dude! :approve:

Can't wait till i'm out there with you, will try my best to keep up ;)

Audi TT 225 Quattro
:evil: was an epic battle between us mk1's, highlight of the day for me:cool: well impressed with your car foxy, its bloody fast lol;) whiteley you also did wicked mate as i could'nt exactly pull much on you when in front lol, sorry for nearly running you of track aswell:eek: will hopefully be seeing you boys at oulton park but will hopefully have some nice upgrades done by then.....:D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mk1s have me consistantly around Druids, I just can't get the nose in like they can, then I spend the rest of the lap trying to get back what I've lost.

Haven't chased any for ages though, great vids.

BMW M5 & E36
Info copied from youtube for those watching embedded Mk1 Battle videos:

Footage filmed from Whiteleys car at the RenaultSport Brands Hatch Day on the 27th May 2009. This is the Mk1 Battle between Whiteley (449 Blue Mk1, F7P 1.8 16v), f0xy (Grey Mk1, F4R 2.0 16v), jay s (449 Blue Mk1, F7R 2.0 16v) and midge (White Mk1, F7P 1.8 16v). Everyone was two up apart from midge who was on his own.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
I think the Trophy in the 1st Video was a guy of the Trophy forum, he was there with a mate in a white megane r26, his user name is Delongi, not sure if he uses this forum though.

The other Trophy that was there (other than mine) was driven by father and son, it was there 1st ever outing in the car and i think it showed, they were usually the one's with 10 cars trailing them, still as long as they enjoyed the day that's all that matters.

Just need to watch the others now

Chris

were you the one in the stripped out trophy? if so rapid car you have there mate, fastest mk2 ive come across:cool:

were you the one in the stripped out trophy? if so rapid car you have there mate, fastest mk2 ive come across:cool:

Yep that was me, had a good day even if i did spend the morning waiting for the AA man to arrive :(
I can't beleive out of the 3 sessions i did, i've next to no footage of the Mk1's on full chat, if there's any on the video it seems there on a cool down lap, as the video's above show the Mk1's wern't hanging around.

I could have got some video of the Mk1's in the 1st session i was out, but due to the traffic i was having a few slow laps to get some clear track, almost stopping on entry into druids was not my idea of a trackday (10 car chains etc) I must have done 20+ laps through the day at around 1:20-1:30 just too get some clear track, Ironically though on one of the video's i slowed and did a lap at 1:18 (according to the video) and i still caught the pack :rolleyes:

Better laps were around 1:01, still sure i could have broken a minute though ;)

Chris

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Yep that was me, had a good day even if i did spend the morning waiting for the AA man to arrive :(
I can't beleive out of the 3 sessions i did, i've next to no footage of the Mk1's on full chat, if there's any on the video it seems there on a cool down lap, as the video's above show the Mk1's wern't hanging around.

I could have got some video of the Mk1's in the 1st session i was out, but due to the traffic i was having a few slow laps to get some clear track, almost stopping on entry into druids was not my idea of a trackday (10 car chains etc) I must have done 20+ laps through the day at around 1:20-1:30 just too get some clear track, Ironically though on one of the video's i slowed and did a lap at 1:18 (according to the video) and i still caught the pack :rolleyes:

Better laps were around 1:01, still sure i could have broken a minute though ;)

Chris

That was my aim, to break the minute barrier. Fastest lap was a 1:00.03. Ironically that was very early on in the day, and try as I might, I couldn't better it. Shows how over-driving makes you slower! I should have some videos up later today.

Bumder With A Buffer
Bit of a brown pants moment at about 3.40 on whiteleys first video f0xy?! When all 3 Mk1's are together. Going into paddock a bit fast ;)

Tangoed Works
awesome love the vid footage. just came back from brands now as its 20 mins from me. awesome mg and porsche racing.

think ive got the bug now!

how were you guys timing the laps? my girlfriend done some timing on her phone, not really going to be accurate though isit! she said i was doing 1.01/1.02's.

Timings done on the video, I just watch the video's back on some editing software. It allows me to play the video frame by frame, so all i need to do is pick up the start finish white line (the same one as there is 2) Then the software allows you too split the video, so each time you pass the white line you cut the video, that way you have lap timing.

It's not wise to lap time at the circuit, and it's not safe either, it generally results in people pushing too hard to beat an unofficial time and running out of talent. Taking your times from the video when you get home doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't affect the trackday organisers insurance.

To get it right though you do need to split the video, just watching the video and and looking at the clock as it plays doesn't give you a true picture.

What kind of weight do those Mk1's come in at, Clio's aren't really my thing, it's only since i picked this trophy up in January that i've had anything to do with them, still trying to improve the car trackwise but weight wise i think there's not much further for me to go.

Chris

Last edited:
Gotta say i didnt ask her to time, she was just bored and was timing everything!

Mk1 wieghs in at 1000kg as standard, i believe all the ones there that day will be around 850kg, its possible to get very low 800's with fibreglass bonnet/boot/no dash e.t.c.

I believe the lightest mk1 is 796kg and is fully caged, but use's fibreglass boot/bonnet/doors/carbon roof/ every metal bracket inside drilled/grinded off if it wasnt needed e.t.c e.t.c

will see what mine weighs tommorow hopefully

polycarb windows all around, boot skin removed, all inner bonnet skins removed, no dash etc....still got inner door skins and sunroof to loose!

Gotta say i didnt ask her to time, she was just bored and was timing everything!

Mk1 wieghs in at 1000kg as standard, i believe all the ones there that day will be around 850kg, its possible to get very low 800's with fibreglass bonnet/boot/no dash e.t.c.

I believe the lightest mk1 is 796kg and is fully caged, but use's fibreglass boot/bonnet/doors/carbon roof/ every metal bracket inside drilled/grinded off if it wasnt needed e.t.c e.t.c

Good results too be had then from tracking a Mk1, i could do with loosing a few more kg's out of mine, It's currently 970kg's without fuel, but short of changing the glass for poly and getting jiggy with the grinder, there's not much left too unbolt :(

Are these Mk1's likely to be at anymore trackdays this year?

Chris

me and whiteley are at the other renaultsport days, cadwell + oulton

im trying to squeeze another couple in if any come up at a decent price too!

Audi TT 225 Quattro
mine weighs 900kg, thats because ive kept most of the creature comforts in place and got rid of most of the rear crap. i'll hopefully be at oulton if i can get the week off work.... should hopefully have my headwork and new cams fitted by then:evil:

me and whiteley are at the other renaultsport days, cadwell + oulton

im trying to squeeze another couple in if any come up at a decent price too!

Great i'll try and get some tracktime with you at those then, i also booked all 3 days :D

Got a few more inbetween now and then though, so hopefully i'll have car going a bit better by then, although without chucking some money at it, i think i'm out of options.
No interest in doing anything to the engine at the minute, until i've got everything out of the chassis and brakes.

see you at Cadwell then
Chris

Hi all,

Nah the first Trophy in the vid (6:14) wasn't me, it was going far too slow ;). Dave (Meg R26) and I (Simon aka Delongi, standard Trophy) had a great day. Good to meet Chris in the lean 'n' mean Trophy and the Dan's in the 172 Cups, amongst several others.

Hat's off to the Clio I boys. Quick vehicles and well driven.

Hope to see some of you again at Oulton Park?

Cheers
Simon

Was a cracking day, Foxy hope you don't mind If I add some pics to this thread instead of starting a new one, there are a few mk1s getting overtaken if it helps :rasp:

BrandsTrackDay.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_3.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_4.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_5.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_6.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_8.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_9.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_13.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_15.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_20.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_25.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_38.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_39.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_44.jpg

BrandsTrackDay_39.jpg

That's me on the 2nd of 3 sessions, that time on the Pe2's (just after lunch when the track was at it's wettest)

That's the 1st Picture i've seen of my car in action at Brands Hatch :D

Chris