ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Branding of super-unleadeds and outputs

Black 172 PH2
I use V-power.
I get better MPG and (un-related to the video) i felt the car pulled better lower down the revs, not talking massive amounts but noticable.
I find a tank of Tesco99 doesn't last very long.

You need to fill up with the same higher octane fuel a few times to feel the benefits i think.

a thirsty one
noticed the prices really creeping up, was 111.9 yesterday and now 112.9 for tesco 99 ron.

seems evry time i fill up this last few months its gone up a few pence.

GW 200
I always run mine on standard dinosaur juice. But i'm considering upgrading to bp ultimate as there's one reasonably close to me. Although it's only small so runs out of the ultimate-dinosaur juice quite quickly, forcing me to use standard again :(

Plus the 10-15p extra per litre puts me off a lot. Is the minute gain in mpg, performance and cleanliness of the fuel really worth it??

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I hopefully can add something useful here.

It depends entirely on your car lol. 172/182 it made no difference whatsoever running on normal vs super. However, in the golf, I've done 2k miles in 10 days on motorways with cruise at 75mph.

Normal - 28mpg
Tesco 99 - 33mpg.

All other variables exactly the same, performs far better on super as well :D

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I hopefully can add something useful here.

It depends entirely on your car lol. 172/182 it made no difference whatsoever running on normal vs super. However, in the golf, I've done 2k miles in 10 days on motorways with cruise at 75mph.

Normal - 28mpg
Tesco 99 - 33mpg.

All other variables exactly the same, performs far better on super as well :D

+1 on my GTI, it love BP and shell petrol, any supermarket pisch and it is very rough!! Thats not even Super Petrol etc

DMS

A thirsty 172
I nearly ran out of fuel the other day and no garage nearby had Super Unleaded at the time. Had to put a tenner's worth of poverty spec fuel in and it felt like it was running on weasel wazz. Can definitely tell the car's not mapped to run on it.
I had to drive really slowly too :(

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I nearly ran out of fuel the other day and no garage nearby had Super Unleaded at the time. Had to put a tenner's worth of poverty spec fuel in and it felt like it was running on weasel wazz. Can definitely tell the car's not mapped to run on it.
I had to drive really slowly too :(

What map is your car running then Darren?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Can't really answer that question. The car's not N/A anymore so it's a pointless comparison lol.

EDIT: But one thing I will mention is that it definitely idles better now than it ever did before.

Ollie's Silver Cup
I like to use BP Ultimate as much as possible. Having said that, I find the local garage to be hugely overpriced; having filled up with ultimate at other BP garages around the midlands and found prices to be quite a bit cheaper!

Filled up with v-power today, following the praise it seems to have received :approve: At 111.9 a litre, I think I could be sticking with it tbh! :D

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
tesco's 99 i believe has 5% ethanol/bio ethanol in it, i maybe wrong

It does indeed, hence a slightly lower calorific value than other 100% petrol fuels- thus needing more of it for the same power output (less MPG).

Shell used to be the only ones who would gaurantee (and provide a test certificate) that their fuel was 99ron at the pump- although if you get and old batch, chances are it's lower.

I always use V-Power or Tesco 99, generally see 32mpg with V-Power, and a few mpg less with Tesco.

I'm not very clued up on the Ronald management, but I'd have thought it should have knock r****d, so you will loose power with a lower RON fuel (all be it very little).

Nothing at the mo :(
I like to use BP Ultimate as much as possible. Having said that, I find the local garage to be hugely overpriced; having filled up with ultimate at other BP garages around the midlands and found prices to be quite a bit cheaper!

Filled up with v-power today, following the praise it seems to have received :approve: At 111.9 a litre, I think I could be sticking with it tbh! :D

hmmmm i never understood ultimate... its more expensive then Vpower, and only 97Octane :S

Lionel Richie
just to add to this, when i work for drivers dream days (in my spare time) we run all the cars on normal bog standard petrol, only the high speed cars (scooby STI's and Evo's) get super dooper fuel

so thats

Astons - AMV8's + DB9's - normal
Ferraris - 355's, 360's and 430's - normal
Lambos - gallardos, murcielagos - normal
Porkers - lots - normal, even the turbos
TVR's - normal (when not broken)
Bentleys - normal

you get the idea, but then we do do a few thousand litres in a weekend!

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Fred- The Bentley motors deffinately don't like normal fuel- V-power all the way, knock control is quite heavy on them.

Formally Clio 182
i run mine on normall unleaded, never really noticed much difference in super

Yeah same here.

Used to run the 182 on Vpower all the time when the fuel prices for super unleaded were in the 95p region but because I found milage/perfromance noticeable and the prices are now a bit too steep for my small pockets I've decided to put in normal unleaded.

Lionel Richie
supercars don't need it, we've never lost an engine due to fuel

we've done 15 sti engines in just over 12months (not just fuel related) they get the superdooper because they are flat out all day

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
i dont think unless your car is turbo its worth the money

this country is f**king us over enough with petrol prices