ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Branding of super-unleadeds and outputs

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, do people shop around with what brand of superunleadeds we use?

The point is, unless by some fluke, I seem to find I get alot more miles on Sainsburys premium high octane stuff vs Shell V-Power?

I found this as I have always used V-Power in the 172 and 182 but got caught short a few weeks ago so gave Sainsburys a go and found I got significantly greater mileages for like for like journies.

Has anyone else found this? Or any other differences? Performance etc? I didn't notice any difference there though.

(I did search and couldn't find what I was looking for although sure it did exist a LONG time ago)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I found BP ultimate returned more miles per tank, compared to other super unleaded fuels. Tesco 99 returning the least about of miles per tank.

I now mostly run my 172 on Asda ghetto fuel, or shell 95 as i don't think super makes any difference to my 172 :cool:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've never been in a position to do regular enough driving to work out mpg's etc.

Clio 172
I find that whenever i run mine on v power i get better mpg than on any other. I usually use either tesco 99 or esso super which both seem ok.

Nissan 350z
Ive found i get more miles per tank out of Total Excellium than i do their normal stuff. But i havent compared this with other brands as the Total garage is so damn close id be stupid to travel else where for the sake of a tank of fuel.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
all i can add is that tesco's 99 ron is just normal 95 ron with octane boosters chucked in, shells optimax is made from scratch upto its octane so its a better blend... apparantly anyway

Astra Twintop
I dont "MPG Watch" (I've got a induction kit, and a stainless exhaust) or care where i fill it up.

If the needle is near the bottom, i swing into the nearest petrol station.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The cold weather makes more of a difference than the fuel used. I stick with vpower/bp super as the cleaning additives have been shown to work.

Clio 182 arctic
bp ultimate i find is the best, it maybe al in my head but it gets my vote. tend to put v-power in as its a wee bit cheaper

Hmmm strange, I think I get better MPG out of Tesco super than with V-Power. V-Power does stink a lot more than Tesco stuff with a decat I've noticed aswell.

320d
I dont "MPG Watch" (I've got a induction kit, and a stainless exhaust) or care where i fill it up.

If the needle is near the bottom, i swing into the nearest petrol station.

Same here. When i've been on the red light for about 3 days I think hmm best chuck some in now.

There is know proper petrol stations near my house. All supermarkets.

Polo + Micra
i only buy shell v-power as my car has been mapped for super unleaded and it the nearest petrol station

and i do collect the points too

Dodgy one
Hmmm strange, I think I get better MPG out of Tesco super than with V-Power. V-Power does stink a lot more than Tesco stuff with a decat I've noticed aswell.

If thats so that'l explain my scent as of recently lol, I've noticed i actually got less mpg on V-power compared to normal ghetto fuel too :eek:

Clio 182, CBR600RR
v power gets my vote all the way! Returns the best mpg i regulaly get 40mpg per tank, just goin 2 work about 14miles each way down the lanes

Clio 1970000000
Have been putting the normal stuff in from Shell or Esso. Do they have the same cleaning agents as Vpower or BP Ultimate?

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Shell V power averages 27.4 in my vee
99 Tesco averages 24

although not technically controlled. it is on the same roads with the same driving style

so bah

DMS

A thirsty 172
My car's been mapped to run on super (97 or above).
Without a doubt it feels much quicker when it's got V-power in it, but then it was mapped on that.
I get better miles and nearly the same performance with BP Ultimate as well, and because there's a BP carage at the top of the road the car usually gets that.
It seems to run OK on Tesco 99 but doesn't feel quite as quick. I'm just running on that at the moment 'cos I had one of those 5p off every litre things for shopping at Tesco. So far a tank has lasted me 3 days and I've got a quarter tank left.
Haven't tried it on Sainsburys or Total fuel yet though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Think Ali said the Sainsbury Super is from the same place as Ultimate?............

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Shell V power averages 27.4 in my vee
99 Tesco averages 24

although not technically controlled. it is on the same roads with the same driving style

so bah

:eek: how!? mines gets 14 :dapprove:

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
yep! filled her up yesturday £63, if it gets me over 180 miles i'll be impressed to be honest

Octavia VRS
I find that i have a noticable difference in torque when using tesco 98 or 99 compared to 95. havnt had the chance to see if i can go further on a tank of super though...

a thirsty one
i use both vpower and tesco 99 ron and sometimes sainsburys super, atm sainsburys is about 5p cheaper per litre and i get about the same mpg.

but at a rr last week i ran vpower in the am and in the pm used tesco 99 and i know there will have been humidity and maybe slight temp diff but i was about 3 bhp down in the afternoon. although please note this was not the point of my rr day i just noticed it later but other factors maybe to play.

Octavia VRS
i get 99.9 mpg no mater what fuel i use happy

anyone comparing fuel is purely anal tbh

:eek:

I remember a certain article relating to the different fuels used and their characteristics/qualities and it proved a quite popular and interesting read!

Unless you do a test under laboratory conditions with controls the data is anacdotal and pretty worthless. Might as well ask the guy down the pub what he likes to use, which is pretty much what you have done by asking people on a forum.

There are so many confounding variables that you may well think yuo have better miles per gallon with one brand over another, but in reality, you will never know.

Personally i think people decide what fuel they like, then invent reasons to justify their choice.

Thats Brad's third law by the way.