ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Braking Problem

Skoda Fabia vRS

right, this problem has been there for a bit now

at any speed after approx 50mph my car will pull to the right when i brake, it gets worse with speed

it happened when i had my 1.4 brakes, it happened after the system was bled and new brake hoses, its still happenin with new calipers discs an pads (16v setup)

my tyre pressures are exactly equal an i check em every week so its definitely not that, and im almost certain there balanced correctly as it aint long since that i had em done

any ideas ?

one of your wheels may be buckled BRUN, tracking, camber there are loads of things it could be. worse case scenario(seeing as you say it has always done it) is that it was in a crash before you had it?

Skoda Fabia vRS

dont think its the wheels as ive swapped em around and the problem hasnt moved

had the car HPI checked an no accidents came up, and everythin looks in order

yea im usin wider than normal wheels but it never really depends on the road, its always to the right

im pretty sure its somethin brake related as i was on this steep hill the other day at some lights, put the handbrake on, and i noticed that the dash went unlevel, like one side was brakin an one side wasnt, the left side didnt really do anythin, but the right did what you would expect when u put the handbrake on, on a steep hill

other than that could it possible be steering related ?......like the rack ?

Clio 1.6 16V

How about a fault in the brake master cylinder / servo since thats the device that applies pressure and distributes the fluid through the system. Could be a scored barrel or faulty seals? I presume you are not loosing any brake fluid?

Your last post makes me think it is rear brake related where the drivers side rear is working the best, slewing the car to the right at higher speeds?

Other possibility could be rear brake limiter/compensator?

You say you have a 16v setup. Is this with discs all round? If you have converted to discs all round you must use the correct master cylinder as a larger fluid displacement is required?

Neil

Skoda Fabia vRS

cheers Neil, no ive only got 16v brakes up front, the back is standard 1.4 drums

hmmmm

Clio 1.6 16V

OK, probably the first thing to check (if you havent already) is the rear brake cylinders and drum/shoe adjustment on the rear. Perhaps the passenger rear is part or completely seized? Also check the handbrake cable and mechanism is free and working as this is integrated in the mechanics of the rear brakes also.

Neil

Could it be something as simple as weight distrabution?

ie is there more wieght on the drivers side (odviosly, but apart from the driver have you got anything else heavy on that side)?

Paul

Strange, no idea then. My car seemed to be pulling to the left while braking a while back. Quite dramatically as well. But it only did it towards the end of the braking, ie within the last few feet. I found out what it was though. My new wheels, they were just following the road down towards the kerb. Serves me right for having so much grip and wider wheels. Got used to it now, actually helps me round corners sometimes.

Paul

If it pulls to one side under braking it is 100% a problem with your brakes... most likely the front ones as they do most of the work.

I had the same thing with my old car.. the rubber seal around the piston on the brake caliper was knackered so over time water got into the piston and it started to stick with all the crap that had gotten in.

This meant that the piston wasnt travelling smoothly and hey presto poor braking effciency leading to it pulling to one side under braking.

You say it pulls to the right when braking therefore you left brake has the problem... the right hand one is working much better so that is why it pulls you towards the right as this wheel is slowing down a lot quicker than the knackered left one.

Take you wheel off and have a look at the caliper on the front left hand side.. any sign of a shagged seal and you have found your culprit.

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive just put 16v calipers on mate and it does the same as it did with my 1.4 calipers...

sounds like its the rears that your having problems with, as you have changed the fronts.

Go to a local garage and ask the to do a brake test, this should highlight any problems with the brakes

Clio 1.6 16V

Clutching at straws now ..... if its not brakes it can only be related to suspension, ie. different springs either side on front, worn bushes or problems with torsion bars at the rear? But surely if it was this the car would handle like a dog in heat!

Neil

Skoda Fabia vRS

the suspension is not even 1 year old an is Bilstein......fitted by Nick at Hill Power.....who also adjusted my torsion bar

i would like to be able to get a free proper brake check at a garage but i just know there gonna try an get me to get new rears without even checkin the car properly......just to make some money

hmmmm what to do....

do you think it would be the best idea to get the trackin/geometry all sorted first......just to make sure its spot on

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Checked mine today BRUN, and there fine on a flat road. Just heads to the side of the slope of the road, usually the left as we drive on that side on the roads curve down to the pavement.

But you say urs pulls to right? Hummm!