ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brakes stuck on

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
right, so as the title really... Sort of.
2 days ago I pulled off the drive as I normally do, drove down the road a bit and felt the car slowing down a lot faster than normal so I thought I hadn't released the handbrake fully, I had. I could smell the burning from the brakes so I turned to go back home but on the way it seemed to release and was ok again.
got it back on the drive and the NS brake was steaming hot so I left it for the night.
I had no choice but to drive it the next morning to get to work but it felt fine.
now though, it still seems to be sticking a bit, I'm having to give it more revs to get it going off a standstill. Its like the handbrake is slightly on.

now...
I have recently fitted stub axle spacers (5mm) on the rear so obviously the discs+calipers had to come off but I am certain they went back on properly.

its going into a garage tomorrow to check to see if the brakes are being obstructed because it might just be me thinking they are but it definatly feels like something is going on.

any ideas or a quick check I can do on the driveway with all wheels on the deck? (I'm waiting for my £8 trolley jack :))

cheers.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is it just the rears that are stuck? Is it just that one? Will the wheel rotate backwards?

Mick

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I had this with my BM, it's covered a considerable amount of miles and I replaced all discs and pads. Fronts ended up occasionally binding. Turned out that the pistons were corroded and after I'd pushed them back in to fit the new pads the corroded piston was sticking on the caliper. My mechanic took them out cleaned them up and all is good.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
just took it out for a spin. As good as new now. Handbrake is a bit stiff but felt proper loose before so its probably normal.
nice to be able to pull away smoothly now lol.