ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[Brakes] How hard a job?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Basically, not really clued up in any of this at-all (but you don't learn unless you try), how hard a job is it to change discs/pads/rear hub nuts all round on a Clio 197?

What tools will be needed?

Cheers

BMW M4; S1000 RR
On pretty much any car it's just a few sockets and a screwdriver. My disclaimer would be if you have no idea, best to do it with someone who does for the first couple of times.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
It's only hard if bolts round off. Yours is probably too young to have that problem unless you've taken it to some air gun nutter. As above its just a case of bolt off, bolt on.

Wheel off, turn hub, unbolt caliper and hang up on the springs, unbolt carrier, unbolt disc. Grease everthing! Bolts, back of the discs, back of the pads, slider pins. Reverse with new disc and pass.

If you've got time look into refurbing/replacing slider covers and bleed nipples and generally cleaning up the caliper and carrier.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Cheers guys. Appreciated.

Struggling to get the locking nuts off at the moment. Lost the key. Using a snap-on impact gun and the reverse thread halfords sockets. I know these have a collar on so what's the best method to get the collars off/locking nuts off?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
If it's a spinning collar or meant to be a spinning collar, then you're better off welding another bolt onto the centre of the locking nut. That'll allow you to remove the bolt as if normal. Most garages will do this for £10 cash

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
If it's a spinning collar or meant to be a spinning collar, then you're better off welding another bolt onto the centre of the locking nut. That'll allow you to remove the bolt as if normal. Most garages will do this for £10 cash
Ah, that is an option I suppose! I think I'm going to try with a hammer and punch first to break the collar off and then do as normal. Been so busy this weekend I still haven't had a chance to do it :(

BG182
I tried punching off the collars but foook that it what a blag, I took mine to my local tyre shop and they whipped em off in 5 mins for free

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Once you get the locking wheel nuts off, you are more than welcome to bring it to mine, and we can do the brakes one afternoon. Won't take more than an hour or so, and you can do it whilst I 'instruct' if you want. Means you'll learn how to do it, without fearing you are goofing it up bud. :smile:

Although the rear hub nuts may be problematic....as I don't have a socket large enough for the hub nuts...

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Once you get the locking wheel nuts off, you are more than welcome to bring it to mine, and we can do the brakes one afternoon. Won't take more than an hour or so, and you can do it whilst I 'instruct' if you want. Means you'll learn how to do it, without fearing you are goofing it up bud. :smile:

Although the rear hub nuts may be problematic....as I don't have a socket large enough for the hub nuts...
Really appreciate that mate! Will of course supply you with some beers! I should be able to get a socket big enough! Proper nice of you! Where abouts are you located?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'm in Caversham bud. How soon do you need them doing, as i'm chaotically busy this week. Next sunday looks promising though...

If you have all the tools, I am happy to head to yours if it makes it easier....but if we get halfway through the job and you don't have all the tools....that's on you 😂

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Grease yes, but around the brakes, use ONLY brake grease; every other fastener, copper grease.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I'm in Caversham bud. How soon do you need them doing, as i'm chaotically busy this week. Next sunday looks promising though...

If you have all the tools, I am happy to head to yours if it makes it easier....but if we get halfway through the job and you don't have all the tools....that's on you 😂
Tbh, I'm not sure on tools needed. I can get sockets to fit all bolts etc, have a torque wrench.

My brakes are in dire need, I'm getting the dreaded grind now 😧

May have to take it somewhere if you aren't available for two weeks but I really do appreciate the offer and there is still a beer or five on me at CSS ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tbh, I'm not sure on tools needed. I can get sockets to fit all bolts etc, have a torque wrench.

My brakes are in dire need, I'm getting the dreaded grind now 😧

May have to take it somewhere if you aren't available for two weeks but I really do appreciate the offer and there is still a beer or five on me at CSS :wink:

Rear hub nut is just the biggest socket in the halfords set from memory? And if it's not, halfords sell individual large sockets cheap enough.

I'd throw any tools you have in the boot and head over to the bear's place.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Rear hub nut is just the biggest socket in the halfords set from memory? And if it's not, halfords sell individual large sockets cheap enough.

I'd throw any tools you have in the boot and head over to the bear's place.

Will bear that in mind mate, I've got more sockets than I know what to do with but will definitely make sure I've got the right size.

@Typhoon I can do it on Friday afternoon (27th) or sunday 29th mate.

I have pretty much everything we'll need here, but as Rob said, bring your tools anyway.
Cheers mate, whatever day you prefer out of the two. Both are perfect for me. I finish work at 4PM on Friday but can of course leave whenever I want unless you want to do it on the Sunday instead? Don't want to get in the way of your church attendance though! ;)