ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brakes binding on 182

182/ 172 Cup
Wondered if anyone can help, my brakes on my 182 are sticking on abit sometimes worse than others. i can feel it in traffic etc its really annoying plus cant be very good for the mpg!! any ideas what would cause it? iv taking calipers apart and cleaned them still the same. thankyou

Mondeo TDCI 130
There not tight in the carrier pal? Pretty common! Want a good strip and clean i would say, file them up etc!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I remember mine were shocking in the 182 when i first got it! The kev sorted the job ;)

think he's referring to (filing) the pad backing plates - where they're an interference fit into the caliper

i've read that it's a common problem with some aftermarket performance pads, but didn't realise it affected OE pads as well (what have you got fitted?)

did you notice that they were particularly difficult to get back into the carrier when you took them out last?

basically, if they're getting trapped in the carrier, they'll not be moving back as they should when you come off the pedal.

you don't want to remove too much of the backing pads though, otherwise they'll be clattering about in the caliper
check the pistons and the caliper sliders are free as well

182/ 172 Cup
not sure what pads they are now? they went back in easy, il have to get it back in the air and have a check and clean! Cars a pain in the arse! thankyou for your help.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They just seize (sp) in. They need a good strip down, clean of the caliper, and refit. Sure someone off here would help!

182/ 172 Cup
They just seize (sp) in. They need a good strip down, clean of the caliper, and refit. Sure someone off here would help!

Just went for a lil spin to give my brakes abit of hard use as they dont get much stick, i broke hard at 80 and the hole car went sideways, was scary! Somethings really wrong somewhere. I think maybe one of the calipers arnt even braking and thats what makes it really unstable under harder braking? iv been told by my mate whos a macanic to remove pads winde the pistons in then replace pads then pump the brakes this should even the brakes out? obviously clean them all first etc. sound right? I think it is the back brakes with the problems. any help appreciated

kris