ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake upgrade help please..

Clio 182
So, the standard brakes on the 182, as I'm sure you're all aware, are basically pony.

I'm considering an upgrade to the pads and discs, but I was wondering what order other people have upgraded their brakes in and what has given the best improvement to that sponge-pudding brake feel.

I've got a set of pads that are brand new (er, 'heat-cycled' this weekend and killed them a bit I think, but they're OEM ones) and the discs will need doing when they're kaput.

What about brake lines? Expensive?

Don't think I can really afford a whole new 'system' so suggestions for more 'cost effective' modifications would be most welcome.

Ta muchly chaps.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The standard brakes are actually very good.
But as upgrades go, Number 1 is pads. Ferrodo ds2500's are the most popular.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Standard Brakes are not 'Pony' by any means.

However to improve them the fairly standard approach is:

Pads: DS2500's
Discs: Brembo HC
Lines: Braded
Fluid: A Decent DOT 4

This should see you with a decent fast road / Track set up with less Fade and a better pedal feel (From the braded lines)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I agree with you buddy.
I changed the pads/fluid/lines etc etc and still didn't have any great confidence within the standard brakes on track, so I binned it all off within days of the cars first track day.
All replaced with 4 pots etc.

However to improve them the fairly standard approach is:

Pads: DS2500's
Discs: Brembo HC
Lines: Braded
Fluid: A Decent DOT 4

I've just upgraded to exactly this. Completely standard before and they were by no means "pony". But the above upgrade is awesome. If you have a spongy pedal bleeding the brakes will help.

Focus Tit Est & R26
have you tried bleeding them to get rid of the spongey feel before you go spending loads of cash on a new set up :)

Clio 182
Face, meet palm. Can't believe I didn't think of bleeding the sodding things!

Makes complete sense as they seem to get a lot worse when they're hot than you would expect in terms of a spongy pedal feel and pedal feel didn't really inprove with the new pads in terms of being able to push the pedal to the stop. D'oh!

Thanks for the upgrade suggestions though, I'll get some of those Ferodos for it.

The basic problem I've been having is that they seem to get A LOT of heat into them very quickly and start to fade, then the pads catch fire.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
You're doing it wrong.

Or Driving Like a Boss....

500x_porscherotors.jpg

;)

Clio 182
I'm not one to blame my equipment when talent and skill is the thing that's letting me down - despite being fairly handy, I'm under no illusion that I'm a driving god - if it was me I wouldn't have come on here to ask for help.

Ollie, you've successfully made no worthwhile contribution to this thread, so why no save us all a bit of scrolling effort and jog on. There's a good chap.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'm not one to blame my equipment when talent and skill is the thing that's letting me down - despite being fairly handy, I'm under no illusion that I'm a driving god - if it was me I wouldn't have come on here to ask for help.

Ollie, you've successfully made no worthwhile contribution to this thread, so why no save us all a bit of scrolling effort and jog on. There's a good chap.

TBH Mate you will always get a few 'Non constructive' replys on here, you just have to roll with the Banter ;)

Although he did give me reason to post the rather cool photo above :)

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

Hardly, the others in this thread have agreed with me that the stock brakes are fine. If you're struggling get Brembo HC disc and DS2500 pads, it is an extremely well known combination.