ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Squeak/Squeel

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi all,

Since the weathers got warmer, my brakes seem to have taken a liking to squeaking every time I brake. This happened last year when the weather was warm and tried a couple of things but never got to the bottom of it.

I've copper greased every part of the pad the comes into contact with the calliper with no luck, the sliders are all working smoothly, I've taken the shims out which seemed to help but then I got the noise of the pads rattling about when going forward and backwards as they move up and down.

What else can I do?

For reference they are Brembo OEM pads and Brembo HC discs

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get new pads and see if that works. Had this before in work. End up replacing the above and it works most the tine

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine do the same mate, think it's down to the pads too. Maybe try cycling them and bedding them in again?
I'm just living with it for now.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Get new pads and see if that works. Had this before in work. End up replacing the above and it works most the tine

Mine do the same mate, think it's down to the pads too. Maybe try cycling them and bedding them in again?
I'm just living with it for now.

Be a shame to get new pads as they've stuff got a lot of life left in them. May just try some Pagid ones from ECP as they've got 30% off at the min so at least I can rule out whether it's the pads of not, I assume it is though.

I lived with the noise all last summer but it's proper bugging me now.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Be a shame to get new pads as they've stuff got a lot of life left in them. May just try some Pagid ones from ECP as they've got 30% off at the min so at least I can rule out whether it's the pads of not, I assume it is though.

I lived with the noise all last summer but it's proper bugging me now.
You need a louder exhaust x

It could also be a big build up of brake dust as well though. I'm yet to clean and repaint my front calipers properly but copper greasing the pads and shims didn't do anything even with fresh sliders.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You need a louder exhaust x

It could also be a big build up of brake dust as well though. I'm yet to clean and repaint my front calipers properly but copper greasing the pads and shims didn't do anything even with fresh sliders.

I've painted the back but not done the fronts, that's a job for the weekend. Last year I cleaned them all out and got all the muck out from under the shims and made sure everything was moving freely but it didn't help things.

I've got a decat to go on, just awaiting Dan's next trip to back to Leeds to fit as I could do with the extra hands so I can get it all lined up properly.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Sweet, that seems like the way to go then and they're only just over £20 off CP4L.

Have you guys copper greased the backs and ends or just banged them in?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've painted the back but not done the fronts, that's a job for the weekend. Last year I cleaned them all out and got all the muck out from under the shims and made sure everything was moving freely but it didn't help things.

I've got a decat to go on, just awaiting Dan's next trip to back to Leeds to fit as I could do with the extra hands so I can get it all lined up properly.
It's easy to do a decat yourself mate, much lighter than messing around with a cat.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
It's easy to do a decat yourself mate, much lighter than messing around with a cat.

Well my exhaust is drooping in the middle so I just wanted an extra set of hands to hold it all up when tightening it together to take the droop out.

When we arrange to do it, I'll let you know if you want and you can pop round if you're free for a chin wag and what not.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well my exhaust is drooping in the middle so I just wanted an extra set of hands to hold it all up when tightening it together to take the droop out.

When we arrange to do it, I'll let you know if you want and you can pop round if you're free for a chin wag and what not.
Sounds a plan mate.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
@JamesBryan Do you know why mine doesn't sit properly? Running a decat unless it's too long! It's still got the original olive joint though.
34031495721_65628fdbe9_c.jpg

Sorry to thread hijack! Completely OT too... haha

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
@JamesBryan Do you know why mine doesn't sit properly? Running a decat unless it's too long! It's still got the original olive joint though.
34031495721_65628fdbe9_c.jpg

Sorry to thread hijack! Completely OT too... haha

You mean how the rubber is being pushed over?

Looks like the bit that goes in to the mount has a stop/washer type thing which is pushing the rubber over. Mine is just the bar without any stop on it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You mean how the rubber is being pushed over?

Looks like the bit that goes in to the mount has a stop/washer type thing which is pushing the rubber over. Mine is just the bar without any stop on it.
Ahh, i thought that washer was normal! Will grind that off then... Toyosports quality.

Listerine & Poledo
a couple of 60-0 emergency stops might clear the brake squeal.....

private roads only