ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake pad question

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all

I fitted some mintex 1144 pads not long ago on the clio, however after fitting they were squeeling a lot so my friend removed the anti squeel shims, then noticed I hadn't taken enough off the edges and put them in slightly wonky and some more copper slip on it which seemed to solve it for a while however it soon came back, I then broke them in after some advice from our resident brake guru (many thanks George) recently however it has come back much worse, and it is very loud!

Anyway this evening I popped my standard ones back on and when I removed them I noticed this:

14356545831_3937db7bf7_z.jpg
Untitled by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

14358989004_7bbd79842f_z.jpg
Untitled by theycallmepaul, on Flickr

Now I am assuming after I got a friend to check them for me he may have put them in the other way to what I had previously done (still wonky though) which would explain both ends being slanted.

Could this have caused the horrendous squeeling? and is there anything I can do to level them out or are they now useless? obviously I would loose a far bit of the surface but I don't mind if it stops them being useless.

Thanks for the help as usual

Paul

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The ends are chamfered. It's supposed to help stop squealing as far as I knew!? My mum's standard mintex pads in her focus were the same and don't squeal. Even when I enjoy the car. I don't think that's the issue.

Where they put onto old discs? they probably will squeal a bit even when bedded in, if its unbearable might just be worth sticking to OEM.

I've just put brembo pads on old discs (not advised in some cases I know) and they are squealing like a b**ch and even sparking at first where there was a slight lip.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Where they put onto old discs? they probably will squeal a bit even when bedded in, if its unbearable might just be worth sticking to OEM.

I've just put brembo pads on old discs (not advised in some cases I know) and they are squealing like a b**ch and even sparking at first where there was a slight lip.

They were put onto new brembo HC disks at the same time, i'm sure they aren't meant to be as loud as they are, it's embarrasing! the amount of people that turn around when I'm coming to a stop from 15-20 miles an hour was pretty funny (I wish I had done a video now).

I have put the oem ones back in for now on the brembo discs and while they aren't as good they are silent which is quite nice!

It's probably just the compound on the pads then if that's the right word. I suppose they might quieten down over time maybe once that chamfer has worn in. Or possibly not if it's a aggressive pad.

Worth doing a search to see if anyone else's 1144's squeal as much if you haven't.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I had Mintex 1144's in my 182 . The squealing never went away . They were a good pad though , they just got annoying after a while .

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I had Mintex 1144's in my 182 . The squealing never went away . They were a good pad though , they just got annoying after a while .

Thanks, I'll probably just leave them out for now then and swap them if needed.

Do you still run them now or are you running something else?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks, I'll probably just leave them out for now then and swap them if needed.

Do you still run them now or are you running something else?

I did intend to buy some more when i needed them , but I had a problem with a slightly seized caliper and one them wore down prematurely so i had to go to the local motor factors for some " emergency " brake pads as i needed them asap . They gave me some Lucas brake pads , cost me £22 and to be honest with you , they're just as good as the Mintex but about 60 odd quid less so i just left them in . The Lucas ones don't fade or squeal so I'm happy with them .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Im Running 1155s in My Cup and Squeal quite a bit when they are cold

The 1144's seem to squeal most when you're in slow moving traffic and you just touch the brakes , braking from higher speeds they didn't seem to squeal that much . @Paul.M Pulling up to traffic lights , junctions etc .... i felt like the whole world was looking they squealed that loudly lol .

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
The 1144's seem to squeal most when you're in slow moving traffic and you just touch the brakes , braking from higher speeds they didn't seem to squeal that much . @Paul.M Pulling up to traffic lights , junctions etc .... i felt like the whole world was looking they squealed that loudly lol .

Thanks for the replies, and yes I agree about the feeling like everyone was looking!

the standard ones are doing okay for now I've been out in the car today and tested them so I'll plod along for now.

I feel your pain, I've got standard discs with yellow stuff pads and just like you, in slow moving traffic they'd squeal so Loud worse than a lorry would. It's so embarrassing, I removed the shims either side too but nothing has cured mine.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
They might be getting glazed on the braking surface of the pad and that could be the cause of the noise? Are they still noisy if the car is driven hard and the brakes get hot? When I fitted DS2500 pads on mine the anti squeal shims had to be removed in order for the pads to fit as they are slightly bigger than OE ones. The DS2500 pads never squeal.

They might be getting glazed on the braking surface of the pad and that could be the cause of the noise? Are they still noisy if the car is driven hard and the brakes get hot? When I fitted DS2500 pads on mine the anti squeal shims had to be removed in order for the pads to fit as they are slightly bigger than OE ones. The DS2500 pads never squeal.

Don't squeal at all when braking hard, the more I gently brake the worse it gets.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Don't squeal at all when braking hard, the more I gently brake the worse it gets.[/QUOTE

Alot of after market , uprated brake pads squeal . It's obviously something to do with the friction material they use . Removing the shims does bugger all in my opinion . I prefer to leave them in place as it's a smoother surface for the pads to slide on rather than on the carriers , even if you do apply a bit of copper slip . Every pad I've fitted to my old 172 or 182 always needed a bit filing off the end to make them fit better .