ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake In-Balance of 50% !!!!

Blk/Gold 182 FF
Failed MOT - because of this! im having my mate look at it on friday before I take it back for the re-test - the guy in the garage said it could be a new caliper jobby :( My mate hopes its just a sticky Piston / slider as i do loads of M4 driving. to be honest that is a huge percentage but i dont feel any shudder, or pulling...... i would thought it would be horrific to break with that much difference???

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Left to right or front to back ?

If one side was 50% less than the other, it would be pulling you sideways every time you pressed the middle pedal, I'd assume..!?

Blk/Gold 182 FF
left to right! thats what i thought!! but i cant notice anything, im going to change the pads and re-grease the sliders and see if that passes it. if not im guessing a new caliper :( would i need to buy one for each side?

I had a 20% imbalance on my clio due to a stuck piston, if your on a flat straight road, let go of the wheel and press the brake from ~40-50mph firmly, it will pull you one way for sure if its off. Mine was noticable on heavy braking only.......

The caliper can probably be saved but they arent mega money so id just get a used one, i have several lay around here, just depends which side you need.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
ahh nice one, I'll see what happens on friday, hopefully its just grit or a dry piston. I think its the drivers side thats weak on the MOT sheet. I'll double check though. gotta love MOT time!! had to buy a new Hazard switch too... lol

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Mine had a 34% imbalance mate, water had gotten into the front sliders and rusted them solid. I had no side to side pulling but had a rumble (Warped discs)

Sorted by smashing the pins out with a hammer and sanding down the rust, clean and re grease. Still not sure how water got in as the seals were great.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
did you need new disks if they were warped? I ony bought new ones last year as well :( hope mine arnt warped! i bought those OEM brembo ones that were talked about on here.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Sadly yeah, have not had an issue since happily :) Your's "should" be ok though if your not getting any shuddering or feedback from the pedal.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If it's the sliders it's very easy to check, I simple took off one of the bolts holding it to the carrier and flipped it up and checked for smooth movement in and out.
When was your MoT due ? If you have submitted it early, your current should still stand

However due to the nature of the issue, I personally would find another way.

182, 6r GTi
had seized sliders on mine pop off the rubber boots and take the pins out give them a good wire brushing to remove all the rust then give them a good amount of grease and but the rubber seals back on job done, if not iv got a spare set sitting in my garage you can have for 25+ postage or 20 and you organize your own

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
bet the pads are wedged solid in the carriers. Free them off, clean up the rust/dirt and watch as you discover functioning brakes

Blk/Gold 182 FF
Not to worry now, ive had a lift to work today and borrowing my mrs car tomorrow :) thank god i turned 25 in march so admiral's 'drive another car' extension has been added :)

Ye i hope its a sticky slider - but i have saved the dosh for a new caliper though but i might take you up on your offer stephen :) ill see what happens on friday.

Dan, strange thing is my brakes seem fine :| they stop me anyway but it is a tad unstable when heavy braking!

Blk/Gold 182 FF
Just had the brakes looked at, sliders looked ok to be honest, a little dry so greased them right up. left pads were slightly sticky, so removed them and cleaned everything up. hopefully now it should pass! re-test is at 2pm so fingures crossed!

RenaultSport 172
Did it pass?

i have an imbalance of 46%. The car drifts left under heavy braking. The sliders seem fine but the piston did seem a bit dodgy. Who do you recommend I do an exchange deal with?