ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake 'graunch' noise?

Ever since one of the rear bearings was replaced (washer was fitted the right way around), the brake pedal had a throbbing feeling on the brakes, like a slight tickle. Performance had always been fine and the car handled fine. Found a sort of patch on one of my discs which didn't seem to be effectively used under braking, figured it'd clean up after some miles.

I've just gone away for the weekend and noticed 150 miles away from home, that my rear brake(s) at low speed make a graunch-like noise, varies with vehicle speed so I thought it was something catching on the disc(s). It sounds like the pads are sticking or at least brushing on the patch now, whereas it wouldn't before. Sounds like exactly like taking the handbrake off a car a few days after it's rained, where the pads need some encouragement to disengage.

I'm without my tools at the moment (car's jack is bent, so can't even take a look), but here's a pic of what I can see. It's been about 500 miles since the bearing swap, I figured it'd clean up by now, but it hasn't. Maybe I just don't brake (hard) enough? I know the rear brakes do naff all anyway.

V3boksJ.jpg

Anybody have any ideas where I should start looking? I'll whip the pads and discs off but neither are that old, or else I woulda swapped em when the bearing went.

Cheers

Thanks, it's not seized on, do you think the car can be driven like this? I've got 140 miles to do to get home to my tools