ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake fluid

Just interested what kind/brands of brake fluid people are using?

About to change cos brakes are not performing very well now. I am using AP Racing four pots in front, standard in rear. Is there any point of using DOT 5.1? Like i do now...

Cheers.

No, DOT 5.1 is overkill and lifespan is poor. Its extreemly hydroscopic and asorbs water at a faster rate than regular DOT 4. And because of this braking performance worsens fast. Ideally you should replace it every moneth with DOT 5.1.

DOT 5...dont bother at all.

I use Castrol Response Super DOT4 synthetic brake fluid, great lifespan, great boiling point wet and dry and easily available. Used it on track and road for ages. Even the regular castrol response DOT4 is perfectly fine.

Most peope dont flush the fluid often enough anyway.

Skoda Fabia vRS

i use Comma Dot 5.1 synthetic..........but i do have it changed every so often i dont leave it in for ages

Bens right though the Castrol stuff is good

why the 5.1?

You wont reach the boiling point of a properly maintained DOT 4 system...and its cheaper....well, i guess you work at motorworld.....so that just means DOT 4 is cheaper still! hahahahaha

Skoda Fabia vRS

the comma stuff is pretty cheap at the price i get it for, an the other fluid we have in is Carlube stuff

when i next have it all changed im gonna get some Silkolene Pro Race fluid, which is a Dot 4, should have got some recently really but its expensive stuff (retail £11.35 for 500ml !!!), got me a case of Silkolene Pro Cool

Ok, thanks folks. I think ill go for the Castrol Response. Anything i should look after when changing from 5.1 to 4. Some kind of flush needed perhaps? Or is it ok to bleed all the old stuff away and pour new in? Ive had same fluid for a year now so it is no wonder that brakes are not performing well anymore... Cheers Ben, ive always thought that more expensive=better performance...

[Edited by william on 06 May 2004 at 10:38pm]