ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake fluid leak

So I've just stripped cleaned and refitted all callipers on my 182, replaced brake pipes, pads at the same time. All was going well untill the re-bleed process began. Now I have a puddle of fluid forming under the master cylinder area of the car. I have a feeling I was over pumping the brake pedal whilst bleeding the brakes (could hear the vacuum in the servo making some strange noises). Would this cause the brake servo diaphragm to go and cause a leak or is there any chance I won't have to replace this part. Going to have another go at bleeding tonight but any help would be appreciated on this subject. Thanks in advance.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Have you changed any of the lines into the master cylinder, or disturbed it at all? If so I'd doubke check these first, if not then there well be an issue, whether thats coincidence or indeed due to bleeding is hard to say without being there at the time, if it is damage to the master cylinder then personally I'd just replace with a new item, don't really want to take a chance where brakes are concerned

No, no brake lines changed on the master cylinder. Could it just be that the reservoir was overflowing during the bleeding process? If the diaphragm went I thought it would have caused an internal leak as apposed to an actual dripping of fluid. Ill need to have a closer look tonight. If it comes down to the master cylinder does anyone have a link or tips for replacing this part. Heard it's a bit of a struggle to get changed. Thanks

Could be overflow but you'd know if you'd spilt fluid over the res on topping up?. Sounds like you may have blew to seal from servo to master by putting to much stress on it pumping the pedal as they are pretty fragile. Does the pedal now slowly go down once pumped hard with the engine off or does it stay rock hard? Changing the master isn't to difficult just needs patience.

I've done mine recently and have a spare which is in good working order if you want it cheap, PM me if you're interested.

False alarm guys. Turns out there was overflow from the res due to pushing the pistons on the callipers back. Had me stressing though. Brakes all bled up and ready for the new exhaust and a road test. I've heard that you need to activate the abs a few times then re-bleed the brakes again. Is this the case?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
False alarm guys. Turns out there was overflow from the res due to pushing the pistons on the callipers back. Had me stressing though. Brakes all bled up and ready for the new exhaust and a road test. I've heard that you need to activate the abs a few times then re-bleed the brakes again. Is this the case?

If you've got air in the abs pump you will need to sort that out as the brakes will work poorly. Pikey way is to get the abs working on some loose gravel / grass & rebleed. Or get Clip / Rstuner ABS add-on to modulate the pump.

I heard someone else bleeding with the engine on to get air out - not sure how that works though!