ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake fluid change.??

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Hi folks.
Im looking at changing the flexi brake pipes and fluid on my car, 05 Clio Trophy.
I have a pressure bleeder and was going to pump all the fluid out, then remove/replace the brake pipes, then refill, pump through the new fluid. Is there anything I should know before starting.
Ive done this on loads of other cars with no problems, just wanted to make sure there isn't anything different with the "French" way ..

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Just remove the lines and stick a rubber bung/cap over the hard lines to stop it dripping fluid everywhere. That'll give you enough time to get the braided lines on.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Top up the fluid to max before starting, change 1 line at a time topping up after each one and then bleed rear drivers, rear passengers, front drivers and then front passengers.

For the love of god don't drain it! Getting air out of the abs pump is a proper pain in the arse.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Have any of the cars you have used this method on had ABS? As its a sure fire way to get air in the ABS pump, and without CLIP or similar, you aren't getting it out again.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've ran the system dry twice now changing the abs pump, and both times managed to get the air out the system by going out and firing the abs on grass, returning and re-bleeding, took around 2-3 re-bleeds each time but does work, but as above it's a painful laborious task.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I got air inmy pump and had to use a compressor and the ABS Software to suck it through !

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Yes I have a pressure bleeder similar to the one in the above link, and have used it loads of times. Although thinking about it, only on one ABS equipped car.
So if I depress the brake pedal ,, to the floor, will that stop any fluid from coming out when the brake pipes have been removed.?
Then once all the braided lines have been fitted I can then bleed the system in the usual way with the pressure bleeder.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I have a pressure bleeder similar to the one in the above link, and have used it loads of times. Although thinking about it, only on one ABS equipped car.
So if I depress the brake pedal ,, to the floor, will that stop any fluid from coming out when the brake pipes have been removed.?
Then once all the braided lines have been fitted I can then bleed the system in the usual way with the pressure bleeder.
Yes