ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake fade?

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Recently put ds2500 pads on the front of my megane 265. They give amazing bite much better than original but especially after a track day they seem to lose all bite and show signs of fade. Is this be pads or the disks they are just the standard disks I presume? Pedal pressure is there but they just don't show signs of stopping, they clean up and then work well again but what's causing it?
Thanks

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Im no expert on brakes but I combined the ds2500's with Brembo High Carbons on my 182 and there is very little fade. My pedal pressure is pants due to the brake fluid needing changing but the disks could be letting you down!

or maybe its the standard fluid. If you are tracking the car, lots of people would recommend a higher boiling point fluid.

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it's like I have to wear something off as better brakes come with time and mileage it's got the standard fluid and disks so not sure if they are hc?

They're a road/track pad and will fade under heavy use. The 265 isn't exactly light either. Change the fluid first and see if that works, are your discs smooth or do they have pad deposits on them? Did you bed them in properly?

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
They look quite smooth yeah didn't notice them looking any different throughout the day and no vibrations from deposits
I might try fluid as wasn't sure if it be that or disks! It's not confidence inspiring to say the least

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
When you say 'after a track day they seem to lose all bite.....', do you mean after they've cooled down a few hours later? Are they just cold? I think the DS2500 pads need some heat in them....

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
No it's strange I know they aren't great cold but even through the laps towards the end they were going and then they've just not felt the same since but slowly getting back to what they was

No it's strange I know they aren't great cold but even through the laps towards the end they were going and then they've just not felt the same since but slowly getting back to what they was
Ahhhh. Yeah typical brake fade mate, may have even boiled your fluid as well. I find brakes are better on track with pad deposits on the disc but to get them you really need to work the brakes continually. I have Carbone Lorraine RC5+ in a part stripped 182 and get brake fade after 5 hot laps and these are meant to be better than the DS2500. I also get very inconsistent braking on road and track, not confidence inspiring. I prefer good OE pads on the road, then swap for the track day's.

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the reply sounds about right!
So would you say it's the pads then? I just thought maybe the standard discs i.e. Not high carbon or something, weren't up to the pads although I find it hard to believe

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I would change the brake fluid for some higher boiling point stuff first. Its much cheaper than changing the disks and if it works, a bonus!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Supergold fluid and bed them in again. I bed mine in every now and then when they feel past their sell by date and it seems to breathe new life into them again. Must be something to do with depositing pad on the disc.

If that doesn't work, then I can only suggest fitting hc discs when you need them.

Or, do a straight swap for a poorly yellow Clio as ds2500s, supergold fluid and hc discs stop those well :eek:

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
I'll give you a fiver and some Oreos for it!
See they work well in yours yeah
Also yours has a much stronger pedal feel
So fluid is the next plan

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Take the front pads out, make sure they're not binding in the calipers -inside ones especially
Change the brake fluid for something decent, the ate supergold is good VFM
Refit the pads , and then go through a series of "stops" to get some decent heat into them. Not unlike the bedding procedure. Doing this should bring your brakes back on

The DS2500 are decent pads , they are factory fit on the Lotus Evora and are a good option for road/lighter track use. If wanting to do the harder/longer stints on track the DS1.11 are more suited- fantastic track pads and what I run

The OE discs on the Megane are made by Brembo so no worries about the quality of those

If want any more info or any parts I can supply a lot of brake manufacturers; discs, pads, fluid, braided lines, pin kits etc etc , drop me a PM mate @MartinL1993

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Take the front pads out, make sure they're not binding in the calipers -inside ones especially
Change the brake fluid for something decent, the ate supergold is good VFM
Refit the pads , and then go through a series of "stops" to get some decent heat into them. Not unlike the bedding procedure. Doing this should bring your brakes back on

The DS2500 are decent pads , they are factory fit on the Lotus Evora and are a good option for road/lighter track use. If wanting to do the harder/longer stints on track the DS1.11 are more suited- fantastic track pads and what I run

The OE discs on the Megane are made by Brembo so no worries about the quality of those

If want any more info or any parts I can supply a lot of brake manufacturers; discs, pads, fluid, braided lines, pin kits etc etc , drop me a PM mate @MartinL1993

Along the lines I was thinking for the disks!
Thanks mate I'll be in touch at some point about fluid, do you know how much I'll need?