ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Efficiency Question For MOT Testers

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Right basically just as the thread title says. I've got a quick question for any MOT testers out their.

When i had my MOT done a couple of years ago it came with the brake test efficiency sheet( which i've just found), that says how much weight is on front/ rear axle and n/s or o/s so a bit like corner weights from the looks of it.

They seem to be fairly accurate weights as its got my total vehicle weight at 1099kg (So no rounding up / down from the looks of it).
But what i really wanted to know is, is this actually my vehicles weight or do they add 75kg for a driver for the calculations?

As i've had a brief look at the MOT testing manual but it seems a bit vague, for class 4 (cars) it says add 140kg's for driver / fuel / crap before calculating braking efficiency. So do they weigh the car with a person in before the brakes are tested or not?

Sorry if thats a bit of a ramble. Cheers for looking guys!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Depends how they are tested. Some test stations use a decelerometer which is placed in the passenger footwell and tested by applying the brakes while driving. Other test stations use brake rollers that do not measure the weight. In your case it looks like the test station uses electronic brake rollers which measure the weight on each axle. This will be done with someone in the vehicle.