ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Dust Removal

RB Clio 182
Hi, me and @Bunta are thinking about swapping wheels but he does track days using CL pads iirc and they are quite caked in brake dust.

Is it possible to remove this with a simple wheel or fallout product or would they need to be refurbished? It looks almost like rust and feels rough to the touch but its definitely caked on brake dust.

Any products which will remove this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What finish are the wheels currently?

Have they been refurbished at any point?

RB Clio 182
Iron X might get it off.

Does brake dust etch its way into the paint or will it simply be baked on the surface?

I'm going to take some products through and try clean them up first as im not after refurbishing any time soon and my ocd wouldn't cope with the brake dust.

What about iron x, a strong wheel cleaner and a clay bar?

RB Clio 182
What finish are the wheels currently?

Have they been refurbished at any point?

They look to have been powdercoated in the past yes.

Unless its paint but to me it looks like powdercoat, they were done before he bought the car so hes not sure, they are black tho so its one or the other.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd try iron X first.

Then I'd try wonder wheels.

Then if neither of those work, buy some of this....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141522881066

It's f**king horrible but it will work. Don't use it on your lawn, make sure you wear gloves, and make sure you rinse it all off properly.

Use it diluted 50/50 at first. If you use it neat, work fast!

RB Clio 182
I'd try iron X first.

Then I'd try wonder wheels.

Then if neither of those work, buy some of this....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141522881066

It's f**king horrible but it will work. Don't use it on your lawn, make sure you wear gloves, and make sure you rinse it all off properly.

Use it diluted 50/50 at first. If you use it neat, work fast!

Thanks mate, I did mention wonder wheels to him as I know that s***s bad!

Thanks for the link, ill give iron x and wonder wheels a whack and see how it goes.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've been cleaning cars for 20 years and I've never come across a wheel that can't be cleaned up with decent acid.

Only use it once though and ideally with the wheels off the car as the acid will discolour the calipers, make the wheel bolts rusty etc.

RB Clio 182
I've been cleaning cars for 20 years and I've never come across a wheel that can't be cleaned up with decent acid.

Only use it once though and ideally with the wheels off the car as the acid will discolour the calipers, make the wheel bolts rusty etc.

Cheers Dan, ill give them a go as I ideally id like his turinis.

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I have the same issue having used CL pads. Wheels seem ruined. Nothing is touching the baked on dust! Gone through lots of wheel cleaners and fall out removers.
image.jpeg

Clio 172
Ironx, failing that, ironx paste.

It'll be reet.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/ca...ia-vrs-bleeding-content.773303/#post-10744406

Wonder wheels won't touch the majority of it. With it being a cleaner and fallout remover it's not as potent as a dedicated remover
Not entirely true

You'll find that wonder wheels being acid based will actually clean s**t off that a fall out remover won't even touch

I'd personally use a fallout remover then a harsh cleaner like wonder wheels, if that's no good then Malco brake off it is

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not entirely true

You'll find that wonder wheels being acid based will actually clean s**t off that a fall out remover won't even touch

I'd personally use a fallout remover then a harsh cleaner like wonder wheels, if that's no good then Malco brake off it is

Are we talking about wonder wheels hot wheels? Or do they have a dedicated fallout remover now too?

I've only had experience with hot wheels and it's crap in comparison to iron X (imo) for decontaminating.

I use it as a wheel cleaner for 'in between' washes where necessary to remove minor fallout

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are we talking about wonder wheels hot wheels? Or do they have a dedicated fallout remover now too?

I've only had experience with hot wheels and it's crap in comparison to iron X (imo) for decontaminating.

I use it as a wheel cleaner for 'in between' washes where necessary to remove minor fallout
No no no.

The standard Wonder wheels. It's an acid based wheel cleaner.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's worth noting that whilst an acid will clean the wheels no problem at all the CL pads usually cause quite a bit of pitting in the lacquer where the filings have burned right in. This will get dirtier and harder to clean as time goes on meaning you'll use more acid and the lacquer will start to go milky and look s**t.

Clio 172

It is a wheel cleaner ... For cleaning wheels

Not a fall out remover. That's why it's not good at cleaning fall out

RB Clio 182
Swapping the best wheels possible for a Clio for the most common wheels around?

I like the oem exterior look, I think the turinis are a great looking wheel and they are popular for a reason.

I love my ultras too, i just want that oem look. Im not 100% yet.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I think Turinis are lovely, but OZ Ultras are pretty much as good as it gets.

Most aftermarket wheels look pap on Clios, but the Ultras look OEM, like they could've been, which is part of the appeal.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Be careful with strong wheel cleaners and powdercoat, I stupidly ruined 2 sets of powdercoated wheels, one with ag wheel cleaner, the other with clean wheels. It dulled the finish and caused spiderline cracks all over the surface.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I would swap also if I was you, your car is very tidy, but I hate the look of the wheels you have on it now, they stick out far to much which to me is a horrible look, I just can't see why people think it looks cool, do you run spacers?

RB Clio 182
I would swap also if I was you, your car is very tidy, but I hate the look of the wheels you have on it now, they stick out far to much which to me is a horrible look, I just can't see why people think it looks cool, do you run spacers?

Yes mate 20mm front and 5mm rears.

Yes I agree I just want an oem exterior look, nice clean and subtle.

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I tried an aggressive acid and did nt touch it. Could barely breath with the fumes !! Now thinking it's the price you pay for improved brakes!!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Soak it in acid, leave it for 10 minutes then go at it with a Brillo pad. Wear rubber gloves!!
You will get it off, it just takes time and patience.