ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake disc venting

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
So, we've been trying to cool our brakes by vent air to the inside of the disc, but at Oulton Park (heavy on brakes) we began to overheat the brakes (Brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS3000 pads) and we believe this to be because the venting of the disc is not affective for our type of use. I have illustrated the issue in the following picture:

brakedisc_zps51089b20.jpg

The question is.... is there a high carbon content disc that has the venting on the inner face of the disc such that the duct pipe we position on the wishbone becomes far more affective?

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
would if you go seperate hats & rotors

We're planning to totally upgrade the brakes system over winter, but at the moment we need a quick fix to our cooling issues, so it needs to be a standard size disc....

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
We're planning to totally upgrade the brakes system over winter, but at the moment we need a quick fix to our cooling issues, so it needs to be a standard size disc....

What fluid have you got in the system bud?

May also be worth a look.

IMO relocating the hose, if it's already in a standardish area won't make an awful lot of difference.

P.S. any pics of your current cooling set up?

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
What fluid have you got in the system bud?

May also be worth a look.

IMO relocating the hose, if it's already in a standardish area won't make an awful lot of difference.

P.S. any pics of your current cooling set up?

We've got RBF600 racing fluid, that's not the problem..... it's definitely the uneven cooling that's causing our problems as the outer pad had a bit of white / creamy residue as if it had oxidised a little. The pads still didn't fade though, there was plenty of friction still, but we definitely had the highest temps we've seen before and they were above their ideal operating temperature. The discs were glowing cherry red when I came in to the pits!

We're off to Snetterton in 3 weeks, so all we can afford to do in that timescale is look for a disc that would benefit more from cooling, i.e. have vents from the inside face of the disc. I've not got any pics to hand unfortunately, I might take a few later when I pop to the workshop.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
We've got RBF600 racing fluid, that's not the problem..... it's definitely the uneven cooling that's causing our problems as the outer pad had a bit of white / creamy residue as if it had oxidised a little. The pads still didn't fade though, there was plenty of friction still, but we definitely had the highest temps we've seen before and they were above their ideal operating temperature. The discs were glowing cherry red when I came in to the pits!

We're off to Snetterton in 3 weeks, so all we can afford to do in that timescale is look for a disc that would benefit more from cooling, i.e. have vents from the inside face of the disc. I've not got any pics to hand unfortunately, I might take a few later when I pop to the workshop.

Other than looking at your braking habbits, I'm unsure what to suggest mate.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I'll have some brake bells soon (this week I hope) that will fit 283x26mm hi spec rotors with a good amound of swept area, enough for standard sized pads.

With shaving a bit of the pad backing material (0.75mm) off the larger pad size (FCP565) or using the ever so slightly smaller pad (FCP406) and grinding a small amount off the callipers (1mm each side would suffice) the rotors will work with standard calipers and offer you better cooling.