ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake disc locking when tightening caliper bolts

Titanium 182
As above fitted new discs and pads , pads are a nightmare to get in the caliper once in and refitting the caliper its tight going over the discs (piston is all the way back) gentle tapping with the hammer and eventually it lines up . Now this is where the real problem is I tighten the caliper bolts only with a spanner and it locks the brake disc up . Strange .... inner pads has a gap about 5mm between friction surface and disc outer pad is tight up like it should but its as though there is a few mm to much friction material

Anybody shine some light on this im thinking ive been given the wrong pads (EBC ultimax) but they look identical

Titanium 182
Yes can move them by hand easily this has happened on both sides really difficult to get caliper over the disc

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If the pads were a nightmare to get in , file a little bit off the end of the backing plate so they move freely . Also try removing the little steel shims that they sit in . It sounds to me like the pads are that tight it's not allowing the the carrier to move freely .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
When you bolt the caliper back on , there is always slight resistance lining it up due to the springs on the brake pads , these hold the pads in position . When you press the brake pedal , does the inner brake pad not move at all ? Sounds to me like it doesn't and it should , therefore your outer pad is stopping the disc from turning properly because it's more or less jammed in the carrier . I'll still go with filing a tiny bit off the ends of the backing plate on the pad to free it up and / or removing the shims .

Titanium 182
The inner pad sits back about 5mm from the disc the carrier moves freely by hand although its a little 'sticky' with the new pads ill try filing them down tomorrow does removing them shims have any consequences or are they just anti rattle shims ??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The inner pad sits back about 5mm from the disc the carrier moves freely by hand although its a little 'sticky' with the new pads ill try filing them down tomorrow

I'm off out now . But post back tomorrow if it makes any difference filing off some of the backing plate on the ends , also clean any s**t off the carriers that will have built up . I'll be interested to see how you get on . Make sure both pads move freely in the carrier before refitting the caliper . Other than that , you " might " have the wrong pads ?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
As already said, if the sliders move freely, just sounds like pads too tight.

The larger surface area ds2500s need the ends filing down on the pad - there are guides if you do a search.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just a quick note to add . Off the top of my head , iirc on oem pads there is 8mm of friction material . Someone might come along and say different but i think 8mm is right .

Titanium 182
MRBILLYUK I removed the spring/anti rattle shims cleaned up the carriers and filed the new pads and low and behold its fine , do you know if leaving these shinsout will have any adverse effects ???

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@MRBILLYUK I removed the spring/anti rattle shims cleaned up the carriers and filed the new pads and low and behold its fine , do you know if leaving these shinsout will have any adverse effects ???

Nice one . Glad it was an easy fix :D . I've always had to file a bit off the ends of my pads , different makes of pads . Lots of people take the shims out , personally i leave mine in . As long as the pads move freely in the carrier i don't really see the point to be honest . Sorry about the duff information about the 8mm of friction material :eek: , it was just a figure that sprung to mind last night .

Titanium 182
No problem I measured my new pads and they were around 13mm but ive had replies on another thread sayin 18mm so I guess it varies , really stumped me yesterday but as soon as the shims were out they were perfect so thanks again