ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake bleeding

220 Trophy
I’m going to fit some new braided hoses (and discs & pads) and just want to push a drop of fluid through the hoses.

Will put some ‘standard’ fluid in so I don’t need to worry about a full flush and therefore the ABS pump (I think – is this correct?).

Was looking at getting an Easybleeder but they all look to fit to the fluid-reservoir and push the new fluid in - rather than suck it out through the bleed nipple.

Am I being a dunce, but don’t any them just attach to the nipple and suck the fluid out as you slacken the nipple?

Or do I do it the old fashioned way and just ask someone to push & hold the brake pedal?

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You're thinking of the vacuum bleeders which operate via a compressor.

All you do with the Easybleed is attach it to the reservior, then crack the bleed nipple open and it'll push some through.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yeh, eezibleed's you connect to a tyre which pushes the fluid through when you open the bleed nipples. I prefer the 2 man method. I found, for some reason, I couldn't get enough pressure to fully push the fluid through properly with the eezibleed.

Just make sure the fluid doesn't run low or dry whilst doing it as that'll get air in the ABS system and require CLIP to sort it out.

220 Trophy
Yeh, eezibleed's you connect to a tyre which pushes the fluid through when you open the bleed nipples. I prefer the 2 man method. I found, for some reason, I couldn't get enough pressure to fully push the fluid through properly with the eezibleed.

Just make sure the fluid doesn't run low or dry whilst doing it as that'll get air in the ABS system and require CLIP to sort it out.

Thanks all

Ah, so the vacuum bleeders need a compressor. I wondered if there was a hand pump version.

When you say the 2 man method – do you mean the ‘old fashioned peddle-pump way’ or 2 man also somehow using the bleeder?

The amount of fluid needed to fill one hose must be miniscule therefore just doing it the old fashioned way must be ok and after each peddle-pump just topping the fluid up if needed.

I was hoping, rather than having to ‘bother’ my wife and ask her to pump the peddle that there may be a bleeder that just sucks the fluid out.

I’ll do some more research on the Eezibleeders then.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all

Ah, so the vacuum bleeders need a compressor. I wondered if there was a hand pump version.

When you say the 2 man method – do you mean the ‘old fashioned peddle-pump way’ or 2 man also somehow using the bleeder?

The amount of fluid needed to fill one hose must be miniscule therefore just doing it the old fashioned way must be ok and after each peddle-pump just topping the fluid up if needed.

I was hoping, rather than having to ‘bother’ my wife and ask her to pump the peddle that there may be a bleeder that just sucks the fluid out.

I’ll do some more research on the Eezibleeders then.

There are options for bleeders with 1 way valves as well. Although to be honest, I just get the girlfriend to help as it seems to be the most reliable way for me.

Also, if you hold the brake pedal down with a metal bar before you start, it will stop the fluid in the hard lines draining out. It's much less messy and you will lose no fluid from the system.

220 Trophy
Thanks. I’ve just read the instructions for the Eezibleeder and it looks eezy (!!) enough to do so I think I’ll give it a go.

Is it ok to mix makes of brake fluid?

From what I can see on t’net I think the car has DOT 4 as standard, presumably I don’t need especially to get some new fluid from Renault, but just some more DOT 4 from elsewhere?

(I’m mechanically competent, just have a mental-block regarding bleeding brakes!)

220 Trophy
Thanks, just did a bit of research and mixing brands is fine as is DOT 5.1 with 4 or 3, just not DOT 5 with anything else.

I will buy a couple of bottles of DOT 4 then and push ½ a bottle through with each corner.

(The car is only 12 months/2,300 miles old but I’m replacing the discs because they’re all rusty and upgrading them (will paint the new bells before fitting) and the pads for a bit more bite and thought I would do the hoses while at it. It probably doesn’t need a fluid change yet, but just need to push some fluid through the new hoses.

220 Trophy
I may as well push some new fluid through the whole system (ignoring the ABS pump) therefore how much fluid do the Clios hold roughly, i.e. how many 500ml bottles will I need?

Was going to use some RBF600.

Thanks