ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake bleeding problems driving me mad

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Wonder if anyone can help. Bled my brakes for the third time today and the pedal can still be pushed all the way to the floor with firm pressure. There's also an obvious sucking noise when applying them. They just don't feel right.

Today I used a Gunson system running 20psi off the front tyre. Bled the offside rear then nearside front then nearside rear and finally offside front. Used the gunson and a helper pumping the pedal and holding it down while I closed the nipples. Lots of air bubbles came out of the system when I did it, but it still feels wrong.

Do you think I've got air in the abs unit? It's a 182.

Going to try taking it to Renault and get them to sort it I think.

Any ideas much appreciated.

ITB'd MK1
they can be tricky, if you're using a pressure bleeder you should try pumping the pedal 5-10 times to purge the master cyl with a nipple open

Lionel Richie
did you drain the system? if you did, then that = problems (ie air in the ABS system)

you should just bleed it through, never drain it

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
I didn't drain it, but I did get a lot of old fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe, then topped it back up with new fluid, before I started the bleeding process. Do you think I took too much out of the reservoir?

Lots of Alfas
It sounds like it, you dont need to do that, the brake fluid in the resorvoir needs to be kept above the min line when bleeding. All the old fluid gets pumped through and out the system while topping up the res with the new fluid.

If youve got air in the abs unit it will be almost impossible to get it out.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
It was kept above the min line during bleeding, the reservoir was only below the min mark for a few minutes, then I topped it up again with fresh fluid and didn't apply the brakes or open a bleed nipple during that time.

You might need to take it to Renault. I think they have a procedure for bleeding the ABS. involves using their clip thing to tell the ABS to open certain valves so the air can be bled out. I found a PDF on it. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you. It won't be much help though without the Renault diagnostic tool.

Unless someone knows another way.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Thanks Mark. I read about Renault being able to bleed it somewhere as well, so it's at the dealer today. Hopefully they can sort it.

Lionel Richie
I didn't drain it, but I did get a lot of old fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe, then topped it back up with new fluid, before I started the bleeding process. Do you think I took too much out of the reservoir?

why would you do that? just bleed it through

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Thought it would save time at the caliper end. Do you think that caused the problem?

Lionel Richie
i doubt it, just seems a waste of time doing that!

you tried firing the engine up? how soft is the pedal?

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
OK.

With the engine running the pedal can be pushed to the floor with a bit of effort. The brakes work and I can stop OK, but I don't think it should do that. I'm certain it didn't do that before i started meddling with things!

Lionel Richie
no leaks anywhere? i'd suggest firing off the ABS a few times and then pressure bleeding the system (not with an eazibleed POS!)

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Can't see any leaks and the fluid level seems stable.

I'll see what Renault come up with and thanks for the replies.

182FF
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but DZM, how was the problem resolved in the end?