ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought new pc finally!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
My pc is on its last legs, its dropping its network connection every 5mins and doomed for death anytime soon!

So in a rage of frustration ordered a massive spec pc and monitor. Its been about 5 year since iv upgraded, and iv had COD4 since xmas with no way to play it! lol!!

Is anyone running Vista 64bit? Thinking of giving it a go!

im a bit skint now, and my clutch has gone on the integra too arrgh!

1 Series Coupe
64bit Vista is only worth it if you have got more than 4GB of RAM.

64bit still has quite afew compatibility problems. I'd stick with the 32bit for now.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
that is quite mental.

whats the point in that then? is it for the likes of servers?

a.e

GT3 RS, Caterham Duratec.
ERR Do Not get Vista if you have a high end gaming pc nothing will work well. Get XP pro 64 bit 1000% better if you are gaming.

Andrew

Monaro VXR
Vista 64 works fine if you game. I dual boot between vista 64 and XP64. And to be honest there is only a slight performance drop in Vista nothing that serious though.

Had no other problems with it though drivers are fine the only thing I cant get decent drivers for is my soundcard. But thats creatives fault.

Vista 64 is worth going to if you have 4gb of ram though. There aren't really any compatibility problems since it can run 32bit stuff fine. Not has an isse and those programs that do say they dont work usually have workarounds.

I would go with 64bit. Especially with newer games and programs getting close to the imposed 2GB limit in 32bit windows per process. Not to mention you will have full use of your memory.

Last edited:
  Cupra
I have a fairly decent spec gaming machine and run Vista 32 without any problems at all. Aside from not being able to see that last GB of my ram.

2014 Focus Titanium
ERR Do Not get Vista if you have a high end gaming pc nothing will work well. Get XP pro 64 bit 1000% better if you are gaming.

Andrew

Corc of s**t lol. I would consider mine a gaming PC and I run Vista 32bit and all my games run sweet as.

Suzuki SV650
Vista 64 bit has given me no end of grief, Vista 32 bit is much more stable. Haven't tried XP 64 I would be inclined to go for that if I were you. Vista slows everything down anyway.

What spec you plumbed for?

a.e

Andrew

Corc of s**t lol. I would consider mine a gaming PC and I run Vista 32bit and all my games run sweet as.

If you run a GOOD pc setup e.g. 64 bit processor, 2GB Ram, 512MB graphics card, sata hard drive etc... (nothing crap out of PC World) you'll only be getting 32 bit out of processor when it should be running at 64 bit. Vista is very poor. It can't even run two SLI graphics together which is pathetic. Look at any performance test between a XP Pro and Vista machine.

Andrew

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i can't say i'm having any problems running games in vista 32bit.

run crysis, c&c tiberium war, COD4, WoW all fine. i have 4 gig of ram too so it's annoying for that...but you know, i'll get over it.

was thinkng about 64bit vista, but what a pain in the ass rebuidling the b**ch!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
well iv read a fair bit on some forums today and most people have recommended Vista 64bit so gonna give it a go, can always swap it if its no good!

spec is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.4ghz
Abit IP35 Pro
4GB GeIL PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel
GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Corsair PSU
Lianl-Li Alluminium case
24" Samsung
Habu precision laser mouse

think thats about everything other than a few bits and bobs for a media shuttle pc im building at same time!

I love computers, and I love gaming, but cant play fuk all decent at the mo, and its sooooo slow for my web design work, so most definitely required! (yes im trying to justify spending £1400)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm currently on 2GB Memory & Vista 32 Bit, but I'm thinking of changing to 4GB and Vista 64 Bit.

Shed.
im mpretty sure vista 32bit only sees 3.2gigs maximum does it not?

yeh it does matey.

did you know vista 64 bit can see 128gb+ tho? mad!

Even then it drops the fsb doesnt it ?

Stick with windows xp. ps your network problem prolly wont be solved lol.

Mine always always disconects during peak times, karoo bullshit me saying that my line cant handle 8mb. During the day i get a stable connection of 7.6mb. STABLE.

i get about 6-7 during peak and it disconnects constantly.

2014 Focus Titanium
well iv read a fair bit on some forums today and most people have recommended Vista 64bit so gonna give it a go, can always swap it if its no good!

spec is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.4ghz
Abit IP35 Pro
4GB GeIL PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel
GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Corsair PSU
Lianl-Li Alluminium case
24" Samsung
Habu precision laser mouse

think thats about everything other than a few bits and bobs for a media shuttle pc im building at same time!

I love computers, and I love gaming, but cant play fuk all decent at the mo, and its sooooo slow for my web design work, so most definitely required! (yes im trying to justify spending £1400)

That will be spot on bud its similar to my spec and it runs vista and games really sweet.

Mine is:

Q6600
2MB PC8500 1066mhz RAM
BFG OC2 8800GT 512MB
250GB + 160GB SATA II 32MB cache
OCZ Stealth 600w PSU
Chieftech Dragon Case
19" 6ms grey to grey Monitor

and i fookin love it tbfh!

2014 Focus Titanium
yeh it does matey.

did you know vista 64 bit can see 128gb+ tho? mad!

Even then it drops the fsb doesnt it ?

Stick with windows xp. ps your network problem prolly wont be solved lol.

Mine always always disconects during peak times, karoo bulls**t me saying that my line cant handle 8mb. During the day i get a stable connection of 7.6mb. STABLE.

i get about 6-7 during peak and it disconnects constantly.

I didn't realise ur from Hull mate, where abouts? I'm from near Hedon (just east of hull) and luckily I'm on a BT line :D saying that I went with Eclipse (which is owned by KC) and they are basically Karoo for BT lines lol.

340i
Those Q6600 processors are sweet!

They can easily be clocked to 3.6ghz just with air cooling :D

just built a simlear spec PC for a friend, you didnt order your parts from overclockers.co.uk did you Adam?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
well iv tried EVERYTHING possible other than re-install Windows for the network issue!

that is litteraly the only thing left to try! replaced network card, cable, tried other pc's/laptops on same router which all work 100% fine, but my pc drops the network connection completely if any kind of bandwidth starts to be used. or if not then about every 5 mins!

other pc's on the network are working 100% tho, but my WiFi router is only 11mbps and onyl supports WEP, so iv bought a new 108mbps one anyway!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
nice spec. should do everything really well. may aswell try the 64 bit version if it's not already built. personally i can't be assed i've setup my vista 32bit and there is nothing that doesn't work. whole network running stable with files shares all working etc. can't be bothered formatting to run into problems!

2014 Focus Titanium

If you run a GOOD pc setup e.g. 64 bit processor, 2GB Ram, 512MB graphics card, sata hard drive etc... (nothing crap out of PC World) you'll only be getting 32 bit out of processor when it should be running at 64 bit. Vista is very poor. It can't even run two SLI graphics together which is pathetic. Look at any performance test between a XP Pro and Vista machine.

Andrew

Why should I? I don't need to, because I don't need to run any 64 bit software and I don't have more than 3.5gb of ram so there is absolutely no reason that I should run vista 64.

Vista is not very poor, u need to stop listening to hear say mate. I HAVE vista on my pc and I am on it 3-4 hours a day and I'm on my work pc (which is XP32) 6 hours a day and I can honestly say I easily prefer Vista. I had XP on my home pc for 6 years too.

Stop with the pub talk tbfh.

There might be a slight performance decrease in games (about 5-8% which is 5-8fps @ 100fps in XP) but everything else is brilliant with a good setup. The way vista used the ram compared to xp is brilliant, all my applications load up quick as f**k!

340i
I ordered 80% of the stuff from overclockers mate yeh!! All main components!

sweeeeet!

If you have any problems ring the guys up, there really helpful..

They can also give you the "optimum" settings for your rig, I.E the best overclocked settings with out buggering the pc up LOL!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
yeh defo mate, I hate rebuilding me pc, got soooo much stuff on it all setup, just makes my life a nightmare!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Yeh i noticed their pre-built rigs, thought I might copy their settings but might ring em up!

Also just found out overclockers is just down the road from my mates house! could have picked them up for me!

I ordered 80% of the stuff from overclockers mate yeh!! All main components!

sweeeeet!

If you have any problems ring the guys up, there really helpful..

They can also give you the "optimum" settings for your rig, I.E the best overclocked settings with out buggering the pc up LOL!!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
gareth, you using stock cooling on that? thats very high for a e6600 - which is what i have.

2014 Focus Titanium
I fookin love it adam lol.

I reformat every 3-4 months just to keep my pc running sweet and clean. Best way!

340i
Yeh there pretty local to us!!

my mates that is overclocked to 3.6GHZ has just ordered a full watercooling kit!!

currently it can convert and copy a full X-Vid file onto a DVD in 4mins.. most P.C's take 20-30 mins haha!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I used to do that every few months also, but I use so many different apps, and have so many custom settings (and run about 30 websites) that its just too much of a pain in the ass to setup again and get back to normal!

a.e

Andrew

Why should I? I don't need to, because I don't need to run any 64 bit software and I don't have more than 3.5gb of ram so there is absolutely no reason that I should run vista 64.

Vista is not very poor, u need to stop listening to hear say mate. I HAVE vista on my pc and I am on it 3-4 hours a day and I'm on my work pc (which is XP32) 6 hours a day and I can honestly say I easily prefer Vista. I had XP on my home pc for 6 years too.

There might be a slight performance decrease in games (about 5-8% which is 5-8fps @ 100fps in XP) but everything else is brilliant with a good setup. The way vista used the ram compared to xp is brilliant, all my applications load up quick as f**k!

n00b

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

n00b

yup good comeback, you showed him hahaha

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
gareth, you using stock cooling on that? thats very high for a e6600 - which is what i have.

nope! I had an Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 on it @ 3.0Ghz but it was too hot (I ran it for a fair few months like that though) then I got the Zalman cooler and its AMAZING, transformed the speed of the computer, that's before I pushed it up to 3.6Ghz, now its running 3.6Ghz and very cool as well!

NewPCBuild001.gif

NewPCBuild002.gif

340i
I brought the exact same Zalman cooler for my rig last week!

stock cooler it was running 35, 36 on idle

Zalman CNPS9700 24, 25 on idle

From Overclockers their about £35.. absolutely brilliant cooler!!

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the temps are even more impressive when you start clocking, I started bumping mine up and it didn't make any difference to the temps, great bit of kit.