ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a 182. What's up with the fuel?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 182. Love it! However spunked £20 on it and next day I'm on one bar.

Its got a full miltek stainless and a decat. Standard airbox.

not driving like a tit too scared at the moment.

Clio 182/207cc GT

What is the Mpg readout saying? How far did you drive on £20? Where you driving economically?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
20 quid doesn't get you very far at all these days , especially if you like a spirited drive .

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

£20, thats a lot!

I spent £20 on fuel, adding to an unspecified amount of existing fuel/needle location and now after an unspecified distance its on one bar.

Good post.

You had a 1.4 now you've got a 2.0

You will have to get used to it i'm afraid.

Bare in mind these are pretty economical, that's why I s**t myself when I think about owning anything else of the same displacement or higher..

Just been doing a lot driving around my local town area. £20 took me to one n half bar. So with a local town over the course of a day and half with a lot of stop starting driving.

2003 172

I use about £30 a week doing around 120miles, blast it at every opportunity though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I filled up my seat drove it 600 miles, shocking it used a full tank in 10 hours!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I find when I do "some" miles in mine on 20 quid (3 gallon) of fuel it does "1/3rd some" miles per gallon.

Which really surprised me. Cause I expected it to do nine bananas.

Clio 172 Flamer
Haha Get a diesel...

I drove back from Margate to Billericay, about 80 miles and cost around £15... seems about right.

Cliosports aren't sold on economy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Haha Get a diesel...

I drove back from Margate to Billericay, about 80 miles and cost around £15... seems about right.

Cliosports aren't sold on economy.

But they ARE sold on economy. Hardly any petrol car can match the blend of performance and economy of a Clio RS.
40mpg and proper hot hatch performance is an epic advantage to them compared to most hot hatches.

Clio 172 Flamer
But they ARE sold on economy. Hardly any petrol car can match the blend of performance and economy of a Clio RS.
40mpg and proper hot hatch performance is an epic advantage to them compared to most hot hatches.

Correct but not around town, especially if you belt it... if you have a heavy right foot 40mpg is never gonna happen.

My MK4 golf GTI gets 42mpg when driving sensibly, not sure on my clio as just got it...

What I mean is, it is not at the top of the list when buying a 182 or many hot hatches out there.

I don't look at my 172 and think 'economy'

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Correct but not around town, especially if you belt it... if you have a heavy right foot 40mpg is never gonna happen.

My MK4 golf GTI gets 42mpg when driving sensibly, not sure on my clio as just got it...

What I mean is, it is not at the top of the list when buying a 182 or many hot hatches out there.

I don't look at my 172 and think 'economy'

But do you look at your mk4 gti and think 'hot hatch'!!?

Astra VXR NBG ED

Too scared???

roflcopter-499x453.jpg

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Mines used 1.5 bar and I have driven 63 miles.
That's on 99ron fuel

Last edited:
  Car
Oh dear

lmfao

what even is this? You for day how many miles you've done.

I can easily clear £20 in one day. But then that's doing a few miles

r****d

I filled up my seat drove it 600 miles, shocking it used a full tank in 10 hours!!!

You thinking of getting rid? You probs should.

My 182 is far more economical. It can go for several weeks if not months on a tank of petrol. The pads, tyres and consumables are mega as well - sometimes they don't wear a single micron for weeks at a time too.

In fact how's this for a plan! Don't have to be an ex-Leon owner, anyone could do this.

1) Sell your Leon and buy a couple of RS Clios.
2) Drive one Clio and tow the other behind you.
3) ***Warning*** Make sure to keep the clio above 5k RPM where it's basically like a turbocharged car on boost or you might not have enough torque to tow the second Clio.
4) ***Optional step*** strip the second Clio that you're towing because racecar to further improve the fuel economy of the first.
5) When one runs out of petrol, just leave it where it is and get in the second! can go much further than in your Leon without filling up easy!
6) ***Optional Step*** Setup your own insurance company so you don't have to waste money insuring additional cars.
7) Give up and spend £10,000 on a diesel to do short journeys in because it does 50mpg and has £30 road tax!

Yeah I find when I do "some" miles in mine on 20 quid (3 gallon) of fuel it does "1/3rd some" miles per gallon.

Which really surprised me. Cause I expected it to do nine bananas.

Chip I'm surprised a clever guy like yourself hasn't thought of buying petrol in US Gallons. Instant 25% increase in MPG with no engine modifications etc...

Yeah I got carried away...

Last edited:
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
It is depressing to see the fuel gauge go down so fast.. I do sometimes wish I bought a diesel lol

Clio 182
I've got a 182 with miltek and decat also- I usually average around 30mpg- £45ish a week for me, sometimes that will last close to 2 dependn how I drive

But just had a blip on the way home with a golf r32- never looked at fuel needle as it wlda been guzzling ;) held him off for a good bit tho considering it was on straights (obvs observing speed limits :p)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Diesels are also poo on fuel round town. Driving style counts for a lot more round town. My diesel was doing 18mpg on a track day and going nowhere near as fast as an RS would.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it makes you feel any better, I'm loving paying roughly 85p a litre for my fuel ;)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Stick to one McDonalds car park instead of cruising between 4 or 5. Should save a few quid that way.

182 Cup
Yay, my first post is on the exciting topic of fuel economy...

I use my 182 for my delivery job, lots of stopping and starting and often a lot of time in traffic. At night I like to open up the revs a bit more. I am averaging about 35mpg, which I don't think is too bad at all, considering my old 1.2 fiesta didn't manage any better.

Highest I've seen is 42mpg on the trip computer, but that was driving like a pensioner on smack.

'05 BG RS182 FF
I can only talk for my 182 but it takes a fraction of the time to drop from half a tank to 1.5bar(s) that it takes to go from 1.5 to 1. I don't think the gauge is particularly accurate, whether i'm alone in this i've no idea (i haven't done a great deal of research as i've grown used to it), i could just have a faulty tank sensor. I live my life between 1 and 1.5bar most of the week

Iceberg 172
I've just got a clio 172 and have been getting 160-180 miles per half tank. I think that's quite good tbh, it's not been too far off my 1.4. Going from a 1.4 to 2.0 has increased the fuel price by 5-10 pounds a week. I can deal with that! And that's vpowazzz.

Often see my mpg in the 40's. Must be a Good engine, or I'm not driving hard enough!

R14 CUP
I've never had any issues with fuel economy with mine. Even back in the days when I used to drive it daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.