ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boosting signal in your home... Without UMA or Voda.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Currently have a Blackberry Bold 9700 on Orange.

UMA hasn't solved my problem with shitey signal in my home. Literally if I so much as breath on my phone it looses all signal. And UMA works fine again untill I move my phone? :S. I assumed since WiFi is a constant connection so should UMA??

Anyway, how else can I get the signal up?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
would be interested in this my fone has to sit halfway up the window for 5 mins b4 i can send a txt,fonecalls?i just reject them cos there aint no point :L

RIP Dan
Have you complained to your provider?

You using 2G? it penetrates buildings better than 3G.

Femto cell might be an option.

You could see if your provider will fit a repeater on your property or nearby. It will boost the signal.

Can't think of too much else unless you find out of another Telco has better coverage in your area than your current one.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Tried all networks in my house, if I step a few yards away from it I get FULL 3G signal. I have it set to "2G & 3G" signal atm!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Vodaphone is the same tbh :( Except for that gay suresignal box. For faggots iirc? ;)

Clio 172mk2
would i be right in thinking with this box , ppl next door and pass`s by would also get to use it for free even though it goes through your home network.

RIP Dan
Tried all networks in my house, if I step a few yards away from it I get FULL 3G signal. I have it set to "2G & 3G" signal atm!

Set it to 2G only. If you set it to both it may be constantly handing over between the 2 networks which causes problems.

See how that goes then try 3G only if its no good on 2G.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Nice one bully thats made signal a bit better actually! Although it continues to drop in and out when i move my phone :(

What are the TCP/IP settings about?

RIP Dan
Connecting to the net.

You have poor coverage at your place mate, moan to your provider.

Least you dont have an Iphone, some just tend to drop "off net" when they want to.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Remember that time I said don't go with Orange because their signal is poor and their coverage isn't great.

I bet you wish you had listened now. 18/24 months of crap signal. :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
But the fact is.. every provider has crap signal in my house. If I walk out the house and get a bit of distance from it... It shoots up to full 3G signal? Its like my roof is made of lead or whatever else deflects signal. And the annoying thing is in my mates house down the road I get full 3G signal :( WTF.

I had an iPhone, on O2. Just didn't bother using it when at home. At least my blackberry gets SOME signal. And gally Voda is even worse in my house, well it is on my brothers storm, however you can get that £50 box that fixes it i guess.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Im exactly in the same situation Jason, our house is pure stone so it had really thick walls throughout the house,

Now i can get 1-2 bar signal in my room on top of my clock, but if i move it forward abit and rest it on my bed side table it lose's signal completly,

It is abit annyoing when you get people phoning up, thats why i txt more and use the house phone.

Is there any sign that o2, Orange etc are bringing a box out ?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Vodafone would have been better.

Fact.

You chose wrong and didn't listen. You made your bed...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Orange is better signal everywhere else around here. I'm very happy with orange, always was before tbh!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I'll leave it in my car down the road and bluetooth it to my macbook? ;). Actually... if I left it in the windowsill and bluetoothed to it... Any software to make texting work?

if you havnt already upgrade your firmware to the latest and see if that helps with UMA, im running 5.0.0.545 on my 9700

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Recently I put my Powermac G4 tower in my room and hooked it up to my telly.

Since then, my UMA has been working perfectly?? WTF. Is it retarded to say the mac's Airport card is amplifying the signal in some way? It does have a diddy aerial :)