ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boosted 225 Pearl Black

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I was NOT expecting this at all when I looked at the first page of the thread haha :smile: Such a great project!!

225 powered mk2
So lets rewind back to 2012, mapping of the car had gone very well and I was pleased with the results, had no major issues with the car, so I decided to book a track day, so a few touches were needed, had the camber and castor setup and also bought a mocal oil cooler with a thermostat plate.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

All was fine on the track, apart from cooking the brakes so this was on the list to get right, anyway the car was running fine for the next year, so I just enjoyed driving it as much as I could, then at the end of 2013 the gearbox decided to s**t itself so I tucked it up for winter and left it, then just after the new year, the company I worked for closed down and we all lost our jobs (it happens) so the car didn't get touched for a while.

Luckily I got back on my feet within a month, and then moved into a unit where the fun started. I got the car towed there, and rolled into the shop, then it was stripped.

IMG_0473JPG2.jpg

IMG_0521JPG2.jpg

Show seson was coming around fast, and I really wanted to make a few shows so the late nights began, and a set of brembos popped up which were silly cheap, after a little research and people saying its too much effort etc, I bought the brembos, and trial fitted them.

IMG_0513JPG2.jpg

I Wanted to run bigger discs and also it was an excuse for some new wheels, as Ive had the turbines for years now, so I sold the turbines, and started looking for new wheels. By this time I had already ordered 300mm discs, new pads, new fitting kit, and a set of hubcentric spacers.

Then it was onto the brackets to fit the calipers after not finding much help anywhere, my friend who is into his Renaults knew a bloke who knew a bloke and we got a trial set of brackets made up, and they were perfect. so we got them fitted to the hubs.

Now because brakes are important I decided to get the calipers professionally rebuilt with new pistons seals etc and a powdercoated.

While I was waiting for them to be sent back to me I removed the engine to replace the gearbox, and also fix an oil leak and to replaced the fuel lines, and also service the engine.

IMG_0726JPG2.jpg

All that done, engine went back in, and new wheels arrived as well, heres a cheeky shot of cage fitted too.

IMG_0850.jpg

So modified nationals was only a day away, and the calipers were still back from refurb, so I just ran the old brakes, and new wheels, also gave it a full paint correction and detail.

Shot from modified nationals 14
IMG_1056JPG2.jpg

IMG_1057JPG2.jpg

A week later the calipers were back, so I made new brake lines and got them fitted, and what a better way to bed them in than going to fcs14

IMG_0005JPG2.jpg

IMG_0055JPG3.jpg

Ready for FCS 14

IMG_0059JPG3.jpg

At FCS 14 in the paddocks

IMG_0085JPG3.jpg

And well that's it for now just a quick update as I didn't want to bore you with all the other rubbish ive been doing. Next year I am thinking of the VAG bx conversion and to tidy bay up.

Enjoy.

225 powered mk2
So I uncovered this today, battery is on charge as we speak, hopefully going to get it fired up this weekend, and then it will be moved into the garage where I can begin work on it again, Made a long shopping list of parts I need for it.

First things are a new steering rack and column, lower arm.
Then it will be onto the fuel system as im going to change my current setup.

Updates soon.

225 powered mk2
Cheers @StuOwen86 cage was made by a chap on ebay, he does cages for fords etc too, was a while ago I bought it, Think it was around £150??
Then I got it powdercoated.

cheers

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Just read this from start to finish. What a guy and what a car!

Was there much fab work needed to get the engine and box in?

225 powered mk2
Cheers guys, I cant take all the credit though, ive had a lot of help from a few members on here and also close friends to help get the car where it is at the moment.
@JD_RS172 all the mounts are the same and its running the standard 172 box at the moment, until I do the vag box conversion.

@Iain C cheers mate, hopefully going to get it back out after ive moved house and sorted a few bits.

cheers.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I didn't know they went in that easy!! I know you have to re drill and tap the block for the box but didn't know the engine mounted so easy.

Love the car though.

Track 172 Cup
Cheers @StuOwen86 cage was made by a chap on ebay, he does cages for fords etc too, was a while ago I bought it, Think it was around £150??
Then I got it powdercoated.

cheers

Google alachii57

Cheers guys, I ordered one a couple of days ago, just waiting for delivery now and local firm to powder coat when I get it (quoted me £40 so not too bad) just gotta decide what colour now lol.

225 powered mk2
Once again Ive just left this thread and not updated it... Will throw some photos up tonight with a few changes :)

225 powered mk2
So back in January 2015 we finally got the keys to our first house, so I didn't really touch the clio at all for a few months, then the bug started to kick in again and I just waited to use the car a little more. So I went back to my parents house and uncovered it, started first time and drove it to my new place, (it hadn't been used for 6 months after going down a huge pothole).

Anyway on the way I noticed a few issues which needed addressing. so I got the garage cleared out and rolled the clio in and started making a list of what I wanted to do.

Started to strip it down.

BFC7687D-31C8-4B42-9544-ACDDA9135D4F.jpg

0FF874DE-4D66-45E7-A0AA-CD7F95409CFF.jpg

0FF874DE-4D66-45E7-A0AA-CD7F95409CFF.jpg

I was never really happy with the brake reservoir setup when I did the conversion, so ordered some bits to fix that, along with some yellow vacuum hoses and battery relocation kit...

8F8058AB-DBFC-47AB-82F4-E1A6740F6606.jpg

Removed the seats to start routing the new power cables.
7B04AA78-686A-4D35-8D6F-F148B7DDFCCC_4.jpg

Then the rollcage came out at the same time to replace the headliner for a flocked one :)

A8BD52AF-540B-494B-8DC2-25B261E1948F.jpg

49FAC782-5B4F-4B93-A4EB-F74257D1E72D_1.jpg

With that crossed off the list, there was a smell of fuel in the car, checked all the connections, which were fine, however the hoses had started to split, so it was time to rip them all out and buy good quality ones, so I begin taking the swirl pot, pick up pump and my 044 bosch out ready.

D656DDA0-29B6-4759-9A25-0CD5F596971F_2.jpg

Very untidy, but the box covered all of this, but I still wasn't happy so time to relocate the pumps.

225 powered mk2
While I was measuring up for lengths of hose and fittings which I needed, I decided I wasn't happy with wiring of the car either, It was always on the to do list once the car was running years ago, but like most people I hate wiring and something always goes wrong... never the less it was time to learn, so I removed the fuse box cover to this mess! (sorry guys)

3D73ACC6-36EE-4F55-BFEC-FC1EB5FAAE5E.jpg

Everything was then labelled, excess bits cut off, and loom was extended, and now sits inside the car.
6D55E8B7-E200-4E05-937C-33AA59645099.jpg

Starting to look a little cleaner now, tested everything electrical on the car and success it works.
F4F1A04C-C881-4C18-987D-94E4A61EC5F4_1.jpg

Then I just started to test fit the new brake reservoirs and bracket, I wanted them hidden from the engine bay, but easy to gain access to.
E9CEBB33-651F-4B43-AEBA-953235DF168D.gif

999C1718-06D3-4EDE-BE67-12D050585A01.jpg

225 powered mk2
Day after I ordered some fuel system bits they turned up, which was great!

I was tempted to not run an external pump and just run an internal uprated one, but after days of doing some research and speaking to others, I decided to stay with the two pump setup, but I removed the external fuel pump for an in tank uprated pickup pump to feed the swirl pot and bosch 044.

First lot of fuel line and fittings and pump turned up.
D7DC02CB-AC4E-470F-B643-4C3DE9727E0F.jpg

48A808F2-E4CF-40A9-ACD0-DDF7B56E942B.jpg

Started planning out the routing of the fuel lines to the regulator.
80103D83-8D43-4991-A5BB-6507DD96245B_1.gif

I bought some of these connectors from torques uk to convert normal push fit fuel connectors to AN6 but for some reason I didn't trust them? Anyone else used them?
They fit quite well onto the pump sender on the top of the tank but instead I used some oem fittings and made them fit onto the fuel hose instead.

220BA639-7719-4ECB-913F-2ECACB5D1EFA.jpg

Couple of hoses made up to suit, The pipe was a nightmare to cut and fit the fittings on but with lots of swearing got it all done, Fuel hoses run inside the car completely now, with no smell. Result!

5CBE636D-C9B3-40F8-A732-5A0BFD17EF89.jpg

3AC38690-697D-4B84-90C1-1784709C681B.gif

225 powered mk2
So my new swirl pot, more fuel hose and more fittings arrived.

FE93C6E1-DC03-483B-97D6-F56B282D3ED0.jpg

EFB9CE49-CA37-4740-ACE7-DB4C0F8770EE.jpg

Decided, I wanted the fuel set up closer to the tank and behind the drivers seat so started to place things and started making a template to mount them on.

2F9C7E65-BBD7-4897-B5DE-0047E05467D2.jpg

76C50F90-E646-49FC-8186-D1A5AFDAB51A.jpg

once all the work was done, it was time to bleed the brakes, give it a clean and take it for a drive
2E443661-2478-4F68-9A38-2F2E02AF610C.jpg

Engine bay is starting to look better, but still a very long way to go.

E2B2564F-540C-4CF4-81A1-3110629EB4AE.jpg

Went to a few shows, including modified nationals and FCS few shots here.
A18C94E6-3017-48DE-A3F7-DBDF9FCC6408.jpg

97109EE9-73FD-4E88-9444-E8B5F6BD6C2B.jpg

On the way back from FCS I noticed the car was loosing oil, got it on a ramp, couldn't see a leak from anywhere... then a little starting coming from between the gearbox and sump, so im guessing its the crank seal which has failed, so that's an issue I need to sort.

225 powered mk2
^^ Cheers, cant please everyone :) .

Finally got round to sorting the garage out the weekend, new toolbox and some storage units, rolled the car out, started her up, had a quick look round and decided I'm not happy with a lot of bits, plus there is a small oil leak which looks like its coming from the crank seal, and also there is a very bad exhaust smell coming into the cabin so I'm guessing a gasket has failed.

Anyway, Im not going to drive her again until I'm 100% happy with everything. so I've started ordering bits and bobs.

All the yellow will be going, the tiger and airbrushing is going.. time to grow up now!

Engine is coming out to sort all the little bits out
got my epas rack and all the bits for that as well.

shout out to @nath&alex for the bonnet, great guy too!
and cheers @sam JFM for the cup master cylinder.

More soon.

Rob.

Titanium ph1 turbo
Hi Robclio98, did you suss out the exhaust smell in the cabin? Mines just had a turbo conversion and since getting it back I have an exhaust smell coming through too...

^^ Cheers, cant please everyone :smile: .

Finally got round to sorting the garage out the weekend, new toolbox and some storage units, rolled the car out, started her up, had a quick look round and decided I'm not happy with a lot of bits, plus there is a small oil leak which looks like its coming from the crank seal, and also there is a very bad exhaust smell coming into the cabin so I'm guessing a gasket has failed.

Anyway, Im not going to drive her again until I'm 100% happy with everything. so I've started ordering bits and bobs.

All the yellow will be going, the tiger and airbrushing is going.. time to grow up now!

Engine is coming out to sort all the little bits out
got my epas rack and all the bits for that as well.

shout out to @nath&alex for the bonnet, great guy too!
and cheers @sam JFM for the cup master cylinder.

More soon.

Rob.

225 powered mk2
Hi Robclio98, did you suss out the exhaust smell in the cabin? Mines just had a turbo conversion and since getting it back I have an exhaust smell coming through too...

Not updated this in a long time, maybe I should? ha

@chris79 not had the car running in while as its in pieces, the two U clamps which hold the housing on where loose so I tightened them down, but still had a slight smell of fumes when on boost... I think the actually turbo could be loose on the manifold, so that's next on the list to check.

Are you enjoying your boosted ph1? :)

Titanium ph1 turbo
Not updated this in a long time, maybe I should? ha

@chris79 not had the car running in while as its in pieces, the two U clamps which hold the housing on where loose so I tightened them down, but still had a slight smell of fumes when on boost... I think the actually turbo could be loose on the manifold, so that's next on the list to check.

Are you enjoying your boosted ph1? :smile:

Good stuff

Yeah loving it.. I could never imagine going back to N/A now... it's like having my 5 turbo back but better... well worth the money!!

Titanium ph1 turbo
100% agree with you there. Its a modern 5 GTT but a little more reliable !

Yeah deffo... I toyed with the idea of another 5 turbo.. but prices are like £5-6k and parts are either non available or extortionate... for less than half that price got a much better car (IMO)... and that's coming from me being a massive 5 fan having owned them for 13+ yrs

225 powered mk2
I don't really update much on here anymore, but not really done too much on this for a while as savings are being eaten up by our wedding and honeymoon next year.

Anyway The tiger and all the yellow is going, took me awhile to find a replacement ally bonnet, but one popped up so I raced up to get it, got it back and wasted no time fitting aero catches too it. Took my time and tired to get a neat finish to the underside of the bonnet.

24039B8F-89C4-4DA7-BF41-0DE157BADC40.jpg

104229D1-A202-4777-A035-58727DFC514B.jpg

545CD2DE-AAFB-4557-84DC-00DCEBF7BE4D.jpg

341EE494-F4F6-4BC2-878A-B1721AD66248.jpg

Added a black grille too, bonnet will be going for paint soon when my painter is back off holiday!

Bought some proper recaro adapters for my seats to, ride height is so much better now and I actually feel a lot safer compared to the ones we made.

9BD6C26D-1116-4018-8D84-C233BBB9FD4F.jpg

4793DD71-8CB7-4364-975D-0689FF7D1E71.jpg

Got all my epas stuff too for the conversion, started stripping the car down, subframe bolts were a nightmare as normal, so off to Renault and got some new bolts and nuts ordered.

423A3FF4-C948-420E-AC80-A402DE2AC307.jpg

F96B9958-298B-4731-B873-526CF00CBA5E.jpg

7804BCE7-F539-45A3-9C14-B8F8BB3B9959.jpg

14BBE3BA-EFCC-44AF-AEF0-F076CF81AADB.jpg

Next up is to refurb the subframe, get it painted black, new bushes, and paint the new steering rack,.

more soon.

225 powered mk2
Says yellow is going, buys yellow bonnet [emoji38]. Enjoyed reading through your build, keep the updates coming.

haha I know, its the only one I could find, should be sprayed up soon, more updates hopefully later this weekend :D

225 powered mk2
25/10/18

Not updated this in a few years, Life has been busy and the car was left in the garage in pieces. It has gone through a lot of changes, mainly trying to tidy it up and ironing out some teething problems, mainly getting rid of quick fixes and stupid mods such as airbrushing, bad wiring etc.

Stupid airbrushing has gone, Tiger stripes gone, most of the yellow gone.
Rota wheels gone
Recaro seats gone
carpet gone
Rubbish wiring gone

EPAS wired in.
New fuse box relocated and wired in.
bonnet aero catches fitted.
quick release catches fitted to front bumper
New brake lines made for reservoir
new gearbox (jc5)

Got the car back on the road this year, had some fun it in, no track days unfortunately. Just been trying to enjoy it. Went to Trax at Silverstone this year (first show I've been to in years) car drove pretty well down there, Way back home wasn't so good. Saw some awesome Clios on track, and a lot of boosted ones. Was nice to speak to a few people in the Renault scene, really starting to get the passion back. Spoke to @Brigsy just as he pulled up next to the Top 25 stand, so impressed with the van, such a tidy conversion, fair play!

Photo updates later tonight or tomorrow...

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive seen this back in the day mate good to see it out and about.

Whats the plan for rewiring just tidy up?