ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boost !

DMS

A thirsty 172
UPDATE TIME

Yesterday I stripped out some of the interior - rear seats, isofix bar, boot carpet.
I've still got the rear seatbelts, Jesus handles, plastics in the boot, sound deadening tar and a couple of un-needed bits of plastic trim to remove next weekend. I've also got to source and cut out my carpet for the rear.
I also fitted the carbon fibre rear strut brace (for appearance more than anything else).

Went down to K-Tec again today to get the boost cranked up and the mapping sorted out.
After letting the car cool down, the new actuator was fitted.
Then it was onto the RR for the mapping to be completed and the boost controller set up.
The results... AWESOME!

RR graph:

imageqos.jpg

It's peaking at 17psi and holding at approximately 15psi all the way to 7250rpm. Suffice to say I'm very happy with it. The accelleration is unbelievable and the pops, bangs and flames that are coming out of the exhaust mean it sounds even better than before.
Interestingly it could have made a bit more power but the injectors are as near as makes no difference maxed out - at one point they're running 99% duty cycle apparently. Upgrading to the next size injectors (640cc IIRC) should allow it to make a bit more power, as should fitting a bigger intercooler and getting a custom tubular manifold made up along with different boost pipes - all of which I may well do in the not too distant future.
I might have a few pics / videos to post up if a certain fat bloke gets them across.

Next on the cards - fitting my new number plates, relocating the battery to the spare wheel well and refurbing the headlamps. I also still need to find a new passenger side fog lamp because mine's broken.

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
what fuel pressure are you running on the current injectors? are they the Meg225 set? What flow rates are they supposed to be?

320d
Awesome result. It must be scarey quick with 280/260. Thats like 110/110 up on standard. Amazing result mate.

DMS

A thirsty 172
what fuel pressure are you running on the current injectors? are they the Meg225 set? What flow rates are they supposed to be?

I honestly don't know. I don't think to ask these things (mainly because I don't really know much about the subject). Wouldn't surprise me if they are the Meg 225 set though, they look very similar.
It's got a 5 bar FPR fitted if that helps?

Awesome result. It must be scarey quick with 280/260. Thats like 110/110 up on standard. Amazing result mate.

It certainly makes you smile.

ITB'd MK1

they're 480cc, but with a single fuel hose setup there's no boost compensation to the regulator as it's in the tank, so they're slightly capped by that

Coupe/Defender V8
nice results. What is the power delivery like? Tbh I'm not sure i'd get as much enjoyment as I do with the response and drive I get from mine - I'm pondering/weighing options. That torque must rip you back!

Last edited:

DMS

A thirsty 172
The power delivery is surprisingly good actually.
I haven't tried it from a standstill yet (and I won't be doing very often out of mechanical sympathy) but when already moving there's virtually no lag. If you drop a gear and go for it there's no lag whatsoever, just immense grunt.
The power delivery feels quite violent TBH, but it doesn't all come at once like many would lead you to believe. It takes some getting used to though.

320d
Looking again at the graphs it must be awesome. Standard 172's torque at 2750rpm. Thats the kind of torque I crave.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Well done Darren nice to see it hit 280bhp bet you were loving the drive home. Did you manage to humble any one?

The meg injectors are only supposed to be around the 390cc mark @ 3 bar hence why the meg lads all swap them out to hit over 260bhp so TBH i'm not suprised that there maxed out, as for the single fuel line, looking back to page 1 of this thread you can see the external FPR and the return line so they probably increased the pressure slightly to get you a bit more fuel to give 260+bhp.

Good to see you holding 15psi all the way to 7250rpm, have you got the print outs with your boost line? just out of curiosity and I'll post mine up to compare.

How comes it hasn't been mapped to all the way to 7500rpm?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looking good, ive not read through the whole thread mate but is this just the bolt on turbo kit to the standard block or have you have anything else done?

DMS

A thirsty 172
I haven't actually got a print out with the boost line but I'm sure I could get a graph emailed over. Everything's logged on the DD RR's isn't it? So it should be retrievable?

It appears to have been mapped up to 7,500rpm before if you look at the previous graphs. Maybe the injectors couldn't supply enough fuel? I dunno...?
I'll definitely be getting a bigger set though, no reason not to. :)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Danny are you sure there 480cc? as when I first started looking at a different set up for mine I done loads of digging around about the injectors just going off the part numbers on mine and the consensous was that they were 390cc?

Darren if your going to go to the extent of removing all that from the car you may as well take the turbo off sell the lot as the low pressure conversion and put a different turbo on there.

ITB BG 182
Danny are you sure there 480cc? as when I first started looking at a different set up for mine I done loads of digging around about the injectors just going off the part numbers on mine and the consensous was that they were 390cc?

Darren if your going to go to the extent of removing all that from the car you may as well take the turbo off sell the lot as the low pressure conversion and put a different turbo on there.
Stevieh - you got more chance os Daz going on a diet than that happening.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Wow thats some popping :) Is this running standard internals?!

No.. and yes. It's got forged internals (pistons and rods) but the cylinder head is bog standard (unless they've done something with it that I don't know about).

DMS

A thirsty 172
[YOUTUBE]dgagi7SDpQ0[/YOUTUBE]

More poppage.
What's really ironic is that my farts sounded very similar to that this morning.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Sounds awesome! Need some more vids of this!

What's with all the lights on the dash though?

It's because it's running 2 ECU's - the standard one and an Omex.
The Omex is controlling the fuelling and ignition related stuff and the standard ECU is doing whatever else it would normally do.
The lights on the dash are there because the standard ECU thinks there are several faults. There aren't, it's just because half the usual stuff isn't plugged into it anymore. I'll be taking the dash apart at some point in the near future and I'll black them off. I'll realise pretty quickly if something breaks anyway so an orange light is pointless.
The new Gen90 ECU would no doubt have been a better solution but it wasn't available when this was originally done.

More videos will be posted soon.

Danny... is there anything you don't know about cars? :p

Cleaning mostly. On the way to a RR the other week I stumbled across a pack of biscuits in the back (I was hungry as usual), I was advised against eating them as they had been there for quite some time!

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
injectors were measured about 470cc when we tested them.

fuel pressure was set at 3.5bar, it would give you a slightly higher ceiling at 5bar, but not much tbh.

on the road the boost is slightly lower to make sure the injectors dont max out in the cold weather... as in these temps it needs about 10% more fuel than when at 10-15 degrees ambient.

dyno was running ambient temp of 22 degrees during mapping so injectors werent working so hard, so the boost / fuel for the road was compensated for accordingly.

Was happy with the result..

Andy

ITB BG 182
Slammed172 its fairly slow to be reasonable, he got over took by so many KA's and other slow cars aswell.
Worked out he got roughly 20-23mpg at most from ktec to notts.