ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Stone chips??

182 FF Inferno
Is the Clio very prone to stone chips on the bonnet?? Since they've been gritting the roads, I've noticed about 3 or 4 big stone chips on the bonnet. I know you can't avoid it, just pissed off- seems the paints quite soft??

Could be a trip to chipsaway for me soon.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
3 or 4 ? Your lucky . I've got s**t loads of tiny pin head chips on mine .

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i had a s**t loads then got a new bonnet and ive gota few more and f**king scracthes off a stupid cats.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Don't drive so close to the car in front, sorted.

That's not always possible or practical though is it . Leave a decent gap on a motorway and what happens ? Somebody moves into the gap , stone chip city here we come .

TrackCar & F30 330d
Don't drive so close to the car in front, sorted.

Yeah thats what i do. Dont really care if someone is up my a**s more stone chips for them.
I actually think i got most of my stone chips from 1 trackday at an airfield. GT3 would overtake me and then cut right infront of me really close and stones and water got flicked up.
Arrrr well, i bought my car to drive and drive it i will :)

N/A Currently
any way of getting rid of stone chips?

waxed my car the other day, and they've appeared clearer on the bonnet now - quite a good thing cos it means i can get them while I can see them properly

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The touch up pens are sh!t imo . I find the paint is a bit too thick . Your better off getting an aerosol mixed up , spray a bit in the lid and use a c0cktail stick like in the guide below .Plus the touch up pens cost about 7 quid for 20ml , an aerosol will cost about a fiver for a 400ml can so you plenty left .

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27

182 FF Inferno
So, how much would a bodyshop charge for a bonnet blow over?? (to be honest, its not really at that stage yet. Chipsaway guys would probably do for now)

Clio 197 & Clio 172
The touch up pens are sh!t imo . I find the paint is a bit too thick . Your better off getting an aerosol mixed up , spray a bit in the lid and use a c0cktail stick like in the guide below .Plus the touch up pens cost about 7 quid for 20ml , an aerosol will cost about a fiver for a 400ml can so you plenty left .

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27

Spot on mate.

Not read the guide so dunno if it says what i'm about to put but i'll type it anyway...

If when touching in the chips you are left with blobs of paint that aren't flush with the panel get a blade...lay it flat on the panel and slice of the paint so its flush. BE CAREFUL though not to stratch the panel. Then polish it up and you'll barely notice where the chip was.

Paint must be dry though before you do it :)

RS 182
Is the Clio very prone to stone chips on the bonnet?? Since they've been gritting the roads, I've noticed about 3 or 4 big stone chips on the bonnet. I know you can't avoid it, just pissed off- seems the paints quite soft??

Could be a trip to chipsaway for me soon.
Just be thankful you didn't get a civic type-r ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Spot on mate.

Not read the guide so dunno if it says what i'm about to put but i'll type it anyway...

If when touching in the chips you are left with blobs of paint that aren't flush with the panel get a blade...lay it flat on the panel and slice of the paint so its flush. BE CAREFUL though not to stratch the panel. Then polish it up and you'll barely notice where the chip was.

Paint must be dry though before you do it :)

Not exactly the technique in the guide . The touched up paint needs to be slightly proud of the original paint , then wet flat the new paint back to the original level . Polish up and Bob's your uncle .