ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bolts for bolting rear axle to body

Clio sport 172
Today I was removing rear axle on my 172 to put new bushes in them and in the end I had to un bolt it from tesco body on one side. As I was undoing the bolts 2 shaped. Do I need to get the special bolts or could I just use a normal bolt to replace it

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Make sure you get the correct length and thread. If you buy 12.9 (or 10.9 realistically) high tensile bolts, they will be at least as strong as the ones Renault put in there from factory. Kay's fasteners on eBay are good for 12.9 high tensile bolts. It's worth applying some copper grease to threads you don't plan to undo for a while (I'm sure you've heard it before, just a little tip if not).

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@Matti5000
Heres what you do.
Use molegrips/vicegrips to hold the bolt heads - they are under the rear bench. now undo the nuts underneath. Its easier if someone holds the vicegrips in the car while you undo the nuts. plenty of wd40 or plusgas etc.
You can now use a screw driver to pry between the captive clip and the bolt head. snap the captive mechanism and then pull the bolt out. then use plyers to wiggle the captive clip free.

Once the nuts are off you can do it the pikey method and get long M12 bolts.

The right way is to order:
77 03 015 200 rear axle retaining bolt £7.97 (x6)
77 03 034 247 rear axle nut £1.84 (x6)
The bolts are very easy to put back in the captive clips just clip in to place.

Its worth using a marker to mark the position of the clip before pulling the old ones out.

I will say that rear beam nuts and bolts are a massive f**king pain if they are more than 10 years old.

Clio sport 172
Thanks guys . I thought the bolts was a m10. I have put some normal high tensile bolts through should do the trick. Thanks again

Clio 182
Alright Lads,

By any chance do you know the length of the bolts you bought if you cashed them from the original captive style.

Had a pig of a day today and they’ve had a lot to do with it 🤣🤣🤣.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
These are the details of the OEM axle carrier to body bolts I removed from my 172:-

127mm total length
120mm shank
54mm threaded
27.7mm head diameter
M10 x 1.25
8.8 grade

The OEM bolts are metric fine pitch threads, which makes them a PITA to remove, as you’ve no doubt found out.

if I remember rightly, I went for M10 x 1.5, 130mm long, as I really struggled to get metric fine bolts/screws, and used washers under the heads to bring them as close to the OEM head diameter as possible.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I wonder if Renault changed the grade of the bolts during production life, as mines were definitely the originals (2002 172) and had 8.8 stamped into the heads of them, but have seen numerous info in the past saying that OEM was 10.9 grade.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if Renault changed the grade of the bolts during production life, as mines were definitely the originals (2002 172) and had 8.8 stamped into the heads of them, but have seen numerous info in the past saying that OEM was 10.9 grade.

Not sure but definitely go with 8.8 as a minimum.

A lot of other suspension components are 10.9.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
yeah, does seem strange why Renault would use 10.9 stuff elsewhere in the suspension and then go 8.8 for the rear axle, but then again, it’s French and nothing really surprises me anymore.

@DavidDave yeah Renault prices for the bolts were mental. I found a local fastener place and got all the nuts and bolts for the rear axle carrier to body and axle bush to axle carrier for under £4!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah don't waste your money on Renault bolts unless you are extremely anal

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@DavidDave here’s what I used, along with some explanatory notes in brackets:-

Rear Axle Carrier - Body
- M10 x 1.5 x 120mm, Hex Head set screws, grade 8.8 x qty 6 (couldn‘t readily get metric fine threads and bolts didn’t have enough threaded length portion, so went for fully threaded screws)

- M10 Type P Nyloc nuts, grade 8.8 x qty 6

- M10 x 25 x 1.5mm repair washers x qty 6 (one under each bolt head to get close to OEM bolt head size area)

- M10 Washers x qty 6

Rear Axle - Axle carrier
- M10 x 1.5 x 110mm, Hex Head set bolt, grade 8.8 x qty 2 (110mm bolt almost runs out of thread length, so I used a washer under the bolt head and nut, to ensure I could torque up the bolt without bottoming out on the bolt thread)

- M10 Type P Nyloc nuts, grade 8.8 x qty 2

- M10 Washers x qty 4

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
@DavidDave here’s what I used, along with some explanatory notes in brackets:-

Rear Axle Carrier - Body
- M10 x 1.5 x 120mm, Hex Head set screws, grade 8.8 x qty 6 (couldn‘t readily get metric fine threads and bolts didn’t have enough threaded length portion, so went for fully threaded screws)

- M10 Type P Nyloc nuts, grade 8.8 x qty 6

- M10 x 25 x 1.5mm repair washers x qty 6 (one under each bolt head to get close to OEM bolt head size area)

- M10 Washers x qty 6

Rear Axle - Axle carrier
- M10 x 1.5 x 110mm, Hex Head set bolt, grade 8.8 x qty 2 (110mm bolt almost runs out of thread length, so I used a washer under the bolt head and nut, to ensure I could torque up the bolt without bottoming out on the bolt thread)

- M10 Type P Nyloc nuts, grade 8.8 x qty 2

- M10 Washers x qty 4
Thanks mate

Clio 182
These are the details of the OEM axle carrier to body bolts I removed from my 172:-

127mm total length
120mm shank
54mm threaded
27.7mm head diameter
M10 x 1.25
8.8 grade

The OEM bolts are metric fine pitch threads, which makes them a PITA to remove, as you’ve no doubt found out.

if I remember rightly, I went for M10 x 1.5, 130mm long, as I really struggled to get metric fine bolts/screws, and used washers under the heads to bring them as close to the OEM head diameter as possible.
Thanks mate for that. I’ll get down my
Local fasteners to get some stuff. They turned an already shitty job ( axle bushes) into a really shitty job yesterday.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
No problem at all chaps, hope it’s of some use.

Yeah it’s a property sh***y job, but it’s worth doing, especially given the ages of these cars now. These were the state of mine; before and after removal, well overdue a change:-

59CFC938-C995-4664-B39D-F988F141E87B.jpeg

A6334207-8FFA-495A-880B-87A0A303B120.jpeg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The clips that need grips on them inside while someone undoes on the underside. Has no one welded in nuts for future removal or not worth it?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I just got one of the kids to hold a spanner on the inside while I spun the nyloc nuts on correct torque.

Clio 182
Welded and powder coated.
Just have to find some time to install it on the car.
2DF3B68C-577B-4970-8A15-523B95BD6FB1.jpeg
5BFDE928-60BA-4E98-94A3-766F7D609A57.jpeg
31B9FBF3-6184-460F-8196-6FC259EF47EC.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
This is really useful. Planning on taking mine off to clean up, might do the strengthening at the same time… also tempted to get a rear axle to give me more time to do it all rather than trying to rush it.

Looks great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
This is really useful. Planning on taking mine off to clean up, might do the strengthening at the same time… also tempted to get a rear axle to give me more time to do it all rather than trying to rush it.

Looks great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll have a 182 rear beam available shortly as I did just that. My refurbished one will be fitted in a couple of weeks, but my old one will be dropped from the car this week.