ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bollo's mk2 ph1

Thought I might as well start a 'project' thread seeing as I intend to a bit of work on the car, might as well put it here.

I bought it last Jan (09), and initially only planned to have it a year, then move on to something else (like I have with my other two cars), but after having a few hitches with this one (namely dodgy battery & finding out the clutch was on back to front; but thats another story), I've decided that its a pretty decent motor and I'll just keep it for the long run now, and do it up as I go.

Because I intended to get rid initially, and I've been desperately short of free time, I haven't really done anything to it in the past year other than fit new wiper blades. Which is why its looking a bit sad...

bolloclio.jpg

heres what I intend to do..
  • Sort out the drivers side headlight - it was 'foggy' when I got it, and so I tried to clean it thanks to the guide on here, but the plank in the motorparts place near me sold me 100 grade wet & dry as 1000. Plus I was erm tired, so didnt notice..I'll get it sorted though, he said he'd pay for the cost of a new headlight if I cant. Which I doubt..
  • Paint callipers - thinking a bright orange
  • Upgrade brake pads - specifically front, feeling a bit worse for wear. Literally.
  • Get rid of the hideous wheels, and get some b**chin' alloys yo - no idea what I'm after as yet. black/spoked not sure.
  • Drop it - I'm a bit dubious about this, as although it can look awesome on these cars when done properly, I don't want to risk the ride or feel of the car.
  • Sort out bulb/s in centre dash panel - These are the lights behind the three dials on the centre dash, havent been working since I got it, and have been meaning to sort it as Its getting annoying flicking the interior light on whilst driving at night to make sure I dont burn myself to death or just heat the windscreen. I've left it though, until I realise how to..
  • Try and hook up (aftermarket) head unit to steering wheel stalk controls - not essential, but it'd be nice to have this working. I understand you have to rip the entire dash out to get to everything though.
  • Find some 1.4 16v/1.4 door bullets to replace the poo 'S' ones that are there now.
  • Colour code bumpers and bump strips
  • Give it a good wash.

I think thats about it! See you in about ten years when its all done! ha.

I just bought one of them M3-stylee aerial fins from ebay. Whats the general consensus on them? good? bad? tacky? crap? I'm in two minds whether I'll actually put it on tbh, it was a bit of an impulse buy..

Fabia VRS
advice on the alloys, id go for some 172 16'' alloys they would look smart on that and you could refurb them into any colour you want.

you could also take a look around at other peoples cars to see what they have and take ideas from that.

but from what you say its off to a good start

I'm in Denton, mate. Unfortunately.

About the alloys; would the 172 16" just be a straight swap? I'm sure I heard you can only go upto 15" without messing about too much. Maybe I dreamt that..

Wait, you don't mean these do you? I don't think they're much better than the ones I've got at the mo tbh.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Look on the car in my link above mate, they do suit the mk2ph1 non sport quite well.

If not there's a whole host of wheels that go well on the clio :)

MK2PH2
Car looks good mate.

I think the 172 wheels would look really good on this but that's for you to decide.
If you don't go mad when lowering the car than it won't affect the driving too much, will look really good though :)

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
they wheels you looked at were pick up only, not free delivery :p got a good base to start with! i had they 5 spoke wheels on mine and it looked good! have a look at my thread for ideas if you like http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=460325

and what head unit do you have? ive got a cable forsale to link the controls to sony head units if thats any good? :)

will be watching this :D

Haha what a pleb I am, didn't notice that; no wonder it looked too good to be true. Although i might still be interested..

Not too sure of the head unit I have (in work at the mo) - it's a standardish Sony one I bought about 4 years ago. Can't reall describe it other than that. Will check later...

How easy (or not) is it to fit the cable?

Cheers for the inspiration too fellas - if mine ends up looking anything like yours I'll be a happy man.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
2 minute job for the cable, take cd player out and there will be a spare cable floating about behind there somewhere for it, plugs into that then a bit plugs into the head unit and thats it! need to check what clip you have in the car though if its the same as the one on my lead ;)

Right, just got back in pulled out my headunit, only to remember another reason why I hadn't attempted to get this sorted earlier - the cable going from the head unit to the car is borked - I had to botch it up, when fitting it so some of the clips are just sellotaped in for now. I really could do with a new one...

Right anyway, the head unit is a Sony CDX-GT111, nothing special - but does the job fine. Does your cable connect to one of the two black plugs that the head unit already connects to? I couldn't see/feel anything else in there, unless its tucked away.

Ok, I haven't really done much as of yet ; but I've been playing about in photoshop and bodged this little effort up (I know its dodgy; look at the front bumper! haha) and this is how the beaut should look when I'm finished.
Except for colourcoded bumpstrips/1.4 16v bullets. I'm pretty chuffed with how it looks overall though, gives me something proper to aim for now..
cliobollo.png

Whoever guesses what I used to clean this side of the car wins a prize. Specifically the rear panel.

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Black Ph1 Ftw stick with standard silver on the 172 wheels looks better imo

Edit: :cool:
dsc01339y.jpg

Nah, I prefer them in black to be honest mate - especially with yellow callipers behind them. If I didn't have a black car, I'd agree with you.

Got to find a set first tho! haha

I've been watching and bidding on loads of sets over the past few weeks, but always miss out because they're out of my range for a pick up, or have gone into silly money.

cheers though, I'm watching them two now too ;)