ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

boff help required please...

330Ci M Sport
Right bear with me here...

Basically staying in a mates uni halls for a few days, and the broadband there works on an account basis, whereby fees are paid upfront. If I try and connect to this, my laptop will happily connect to the local area connection, but my internet settings are limited by the broadband providers account settings; their website is the only thing I can access.

Now I'm not exactly great at this malarky, but I can't be arsed paying to add a second laptop to the account for this connection; and I don't particularly want to pay and find out it doesn't work anyway.

So the question is; based on the fact I have the account details for the internet package and the ip address and MAC address which is registered for the account; is there a way to make the system think my laptop is the original one registered on the account? Whilst I (kinda) understand I can change the ip address; I'm lost when it comes to gateways and all that shiz.

I'm not actually sure that this makes much sense, but I hope someone can grab the gist of what I'm trying to say?

P.s, make it basic!
Cheers all...

Chelsea tractor
Surely the uni network would only allow macs that have been registered? Yours hasn't; so unless you can spoof it, you're buggered.

DMS

A thirsty 172
You could set up internet connection sharing on your mate's laptop then effectively use that as your gateway. The proxy server at the Uni will see all requests coming from the laptop that has got a working account and you shouldn't have any problems browsing t'internet.

And if you were really clever like me you could try ICMP tunnelling ;)

330Ci M Sport
ahhh f**k it iv got round it...im not even gonna try and pretend i know what ICMP tunnelling is ;)

ta all!