ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Body shop / painters: thinners question please help.

I've just used plastic primer instead of normal primer on some interior grab handles and mirror caps as I understand it helps the paint dry without going funny.

I've bought a small 250ml pot of black gold, and I *think* the thinners I have is just normal thinners, I want to spray colour this weekend if possible.

Do I HAVE to buy base thinners? or will my normal thinners be ok? (the paint tech said I'd be better off using base thinners) I can double check what thinners I have if it help im not at home yet.

Thanks.

inferno 182.
the plastic primer just helps the basecoat stick to the plastic! you should get away with normal thinners on small items in black.
dont put it on to wet as normal thinners is alot stronger than basecoat thinners and will react with any previous paint!
dryish coats and dry it quick and you should be fine!

Excellent, thanks for your help.

Also with 2k lacquer, am i supposed to add the 10% of thinners with 2k thinners and not normal thinners?

And am i supposed to clean the gun out with 2k thinners? (think I've got that wrong its been a while since ive painted)

inferno 182.
you should add 2k thinners in the lacquer but you dont have to thin it!will be fine without as your spraying small items. you can clean your gun with any thinners.