ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E46 to 197

Clio 197
Hi all,

Found myself being drawn back to clios, specifically the 197 - i know there is a bit of shared BMW/Clio love on here so here goes...I currently have a 330 which i have just put up for sale, at which point i will be in a position to buy a 197.

I have owned a 172 cup and 182 previously, but what can i expect from a 197?

I realise they are thirstier than 1*2 (MPG sounds similar to the 330), gearboxes and steering racks can be a weak point - what else should i look for, i read today that all models dont come with Xenons, is that true?

I would also like to hear from anyone who has made the switch from E46 to 197 (whats good, whats not so good).

Cheers

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I did.
Sold the 197 after 3 weeks.
Bought another 330i, an auto touring.

You will be disappointed by the build quality, the engine will feel as flat as a f4rt and the mpg will be laughable consider the woeful pace on offer (it was worse than my M3). On the flipside, the handling/brakes are better. I kept my Trophy (197 was supposed to replace it) and bought another 330i to use as a daily.

Clio 197
thanks, helpful information.
Drove one earlier today (wasnt planned but a work colleague has just bought one) - it reminded me of my old 182 with the rough idle , handled like it was on rails though, it didnt feel to have much kick at 5k - is that normal? also the brakes were shocking compared to my 330, although i suspect they needed a good clean up.
I do really like the look of the 197.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
How much are 197's now?
Is an R26 within budget?

The 5k kick isn't a vtec like kick to be honest.

Unless you wan't the extra refinement a 197 offers over a 1*2, then i'd get a 182 Trophy, or a 172 cup for track.

Kelv went from a Trophy to a R27 and hated it. He was so disappointed that it sat there for months being unused until he sold it. He's building a Trophy back up now.

So doesn't really help with your BMW to 197 move, but indicates a 182 Trophy would be a much better thing to move to instead of a 197.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You wont get much mk3 love on here i'm afraid. However i love mine, had it over 4 years. I have no need for a mile muncher, and living out in the sticks its brilliant for a good drive.
They are good for what they are. Nice and revvy, nice winding B road is where its happiest. You can get Xenons on a 197 (look for headlamp washers)
Recaros are a must in terms of making it feel a bit more special. They are more refined than a MK2 for sure. Infact my Mrs has a R56 mini cooper, and that rattles more inside.

Poor feeling brakes will be due to seized pads. They need a yearly strip down imo.

nov2014124_zpsb14339c6.jpg

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Love mine mate but it is a bit of a go-kart. Not in the sense of it being light and nippy but in the sense that it's good fun until it breaks down every 5 minutes and needs work.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Other than Gearbox last year, never had anything other than service issues with mine. Brilliant wee thing

Clio 197
Nice , they do have some girth all right ! I am looking to spend about 4k, so finding one with recaros is asking a but much.

Had 2x mk2s previously so looking for something different , but familiar.

Re the 5k kick, i was expecting something more akin to the 1*2 , which you can certainly feel. It was more progressive in the 197.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nice , they do have some girth all right ! I am looking to spend about 4k, so finding one with recaros is asking a but much.

Re the 5k kick, i was expecting something more akin to the 1*2 , which you can certainly feel. It was more progressive in the 197.

For £4k you'd be better buying a mint 182.

That's the cheaper end of the mk3 market, so you'll only find a standard 06ish plate car with no options. (The cup chassis wasn't introduced till 07(only on r27s) and 08 alongside the 197 cups

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP

Pretty sure the MK3's have proper VVT not a low end and high end switch point and the Mk2's kick is down to Renault only giving it best power fuelling from just before that point onwards so it's not a good thing! Someone has just posted some 172 graphs showing what it's like. The MK3's lump is a better engine with a better flowing cylinder head I don't think they would scrimp on the mapping so it should be smoother. It's not a Honda where you have a completely different cam profile coming into play at high RPM. The VVT on the MK2 is purely there to make it idle. Try running slightly laity cams on an old carb engine and you'd have a clear idea of the problem.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
At last some members are seeing the light, love my racy blue 197.
a>
ATTACH]
siloblue_zps9533a9c8.jpg

Attachments

• siloblue_zps9533a9c8.jpg
    siloblue_zps9533a9c8.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 60
  Mini GP2
4k for a 197; i would't touch it with a bargepole... you can bet the belts will need doing and the flexi's are fooked.... as already said by Knuckles; get a mint 182 with all the right bits done....

@rs 1an that is stunning matey....

RB Clio 182
I too love the look of 197s, the width of them is fantastic, its like me after a massive take away and 15 pints, apart from I have more tyres.

R27 in liquid yellow FTW!