ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Trim

Clio Mk1
On my mk1 clio, all of the exterior black trim is faded and just plain old looking. I look after the paintwork on my car, polishing, waxing and claying, but the trim is letting the side down a bit.
Is it easy enough just to spray them black? Do I need to sand them first? or will the paint just stick straight on as its plastic?
Completely new at this stuff see.
Cheers

Clio Mk1
Yes, Ive tried loads of different back to black style products, but none of em seem to work, or if they do, they fade away after like a week.
I was looking for a more permenant option

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Try wd40 , thats what i use for black trim . Once you've got white wax marks on your black plastic trim its virtually impossible to get off unless you use a solvent like turps . All the products you see like autoglym bumper care just mask the marks for a short while then they return .

If your looking to colour code heres a good guide :

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2982437#post2982437

106 GTi
As above re. the AG Bumper Care it is to condition and dress the trim rather than clean it.

I use Einszett Plastic Cleaner to remove wax residues and deep clean the trim before applying the AG.

visualize whirled pe
You can use a hair dryer to make the bumpers darker. Sounds crazy but this was somthing I picked up from my Golf MK2 owning days.
I used a hot air stripper instead but was VERY VERY careful not to burn the paint (you have been warned), the bumpers went from a patchy grey to a dark uniform black. Then I used some AG bumper on them and they stayed that way.

I used a big bit of cardboard to 'mask' the paint as I went and held the blower about 6" away from the plastic and waved the hot air back and forth but didnt allow the area to become too hot.

Clio Mk1
Just for peoples reference, autoglym bumper care is the greatest thing ever.
My black trim had faded to grey, with the odd wax mark on it, now they are jet black and lovely and clean.
Well recommended
Cheers guys