ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black tailpipes

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Been noticing that tailpipes are quite black. Dont know if its burning oil or just running rich?

Any ideas what it could be? Havent noticed it smoking on heavy acceleration.

I thought carbon deposits in and around the exhaust tips was normal?! Don't most ph2's run rich on start up anyway?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I thought carbon deposits in and around the exhaust tips was normal?! Don't most ph2's run rich on start up anyway?

Yep they pop lick a b**ch when decated and cold :S

Also it's normal mine gets quite black after a while too

RB 182 cup,astra sri
I have had it for about a year and only noticed it bad in the last couple of months. Also had a 172 cup before and was never like this.

Worth getting checked out? Anything else i can check or am i just worrying over nothing

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I have had it for about a year and only noticed it bad in the last couple of months. Also had a 172 cup before and was never like this.

Worth getting checked out? Anything else i can check or am i just worrying over nothing

How's your exhaust? I found mine seemed to get worse as the exhaust got in worse condition :S

I think it's something about nothin but it could maybe be the early signs of something on the way out but mine get? really really black at times and mine been through birchdowns for a full check over with nothing to report :)

RB 182 cup,astra sri
How's your exhaust? I found mine seemed to get worse as the exhaust got in worse condition :S

I think it's something about nothin but it could maybe be the early signs of something on the way out but mine get? really really black at times and mine been through birchdowns for a full check over with nothing to report :)

My exhaust is falling to bits. I have been putting off getting the new one and putting up with the noise getting louder and louder. Going to be getting a new one in the next month or 2 probably.

Could that maybe be it then? Since the exhaust is on the way out?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
My exhaust is falling to bits. I have been putting off getting the new one and putting up with the noise getting louder and louder. Going to be getting a new one in the next month or 2 probably.

Could that maybe be it then? Since the exhaust is on the way out?

Ye I think it's the exhaust dien tbh mines dien but I can keep you updated as my new one arrives 2moz and hopefully on sat night :)

330 Ci
I'd check for coked up sparkplugs.. or more then likely (i've had this happen on 2 1*2's) a dead lambda sensor - both suffered from a sooted up exhaust

Last edited:
I'd check for coked up sparkplugs.. or more then likely (i've had this happen on 2 1*2's) a dead lambda sensor - both suffered from a sooted up exhaust

Isn't it normal though? I'm tempted to get mine looked at anyway as it's been slightly worse the past couple weeks also, I'm not complaining I find it entertaining but not if something is wrong!

RB 182 cup,astra sri
If i were to take it in, would a problem be picked up in the diagnostics if its running rich or lamda sensor problem etc? I am hoping it is just the exhaust though since i know that it needs replaced. Cant understand why the exhaust would cause this problem though. unless someone can explain why?

53 Clio's & counting
Possibly, on a decent diagnostic machine, but you should replace it every 5 years or so - they generally get clogged up and slow down sending signal

Clio 197

Could it be you notice it more on the 182 because of the exposed tailpipes?

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Posted this a while ago. Still got the problem of dark tail pipes and it's using maybe half a litre of oil every 2k miles approx. have a new exhaust on it now but haven't replaced the lambda sensor. I do have an oil leak in that oil comes through the bolts of the rocker cover. Should I be worried that it is maybe burning oil? Should I get it checked or wait to see if it gets worse? Would cheap oil be a possible culprit?