ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

black mk1 16v

Probably needs the outer sill removing, then the whole inner can be replaced. The panels are not expensive, its just the labour that is.. If you try and repair from the inside the rust could be all the way along and you'd never know until the outer sill was removed. Everyone says N platers are the worst for rusty sills, but I think ive been lucky so far fortunately..

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
that's what i thought it does need a new sill on that side eventually cos some tool jack the car up on the sill and bent it. but was looking for a fix at the moment cos pretty certain not going to have a job in a couple of weeks. but if that's what's need ill have to do it

i heard that about n plates this is the first bit of rot ive found on the car.

Last edited:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Valvers are money pits.

Good luck sorting it.

yeah they are but till i stop enjoying it its staying. going to take it to some body shops when i have a free minute this week.

also just found another fuel leak, this time its from the filler to the aux tank. hopefully a new jubilee on it should sort it out. if not i'll get a 1.2 fill and rip the aux tank out

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
having more problems with it, now it wont start. it drove me to work on Saturday night fine then didn't want to drive me home at 3 in morning.

basically the fuel pump wasn't priming so i checked all the fuses and i hadn't blown one and didn't have a loose connection on the bay to car connector. but one of the relays was at first click its nuts off but then nothing.

after being recovered

i checked if the pump was dead and it doesn't seem to be.

but i wasn't getting a 12v feed to the pump when there should be. i was only getting 0.01v for a few seconds then nothing.

so i replaced the relays because they seemed to be the likely cause. the car tried to start for a split second again then died again of fuel starvation. (also i didn't here the pump prime)

but now i'm getting a constant 0.18v to the pump regardless of the key being in the ignition or the relays being plugged in.

so this is where i am stuck with a car that wont start

anyone got any suggestions?

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
shouldn't be. when i chatted to f0xy about it he said the immobiliser shouldn't kill the pump just the spark and injectors.

honestly done know why its doing it but looking more like the bay loom has got to come out to inspect it fully for breaks, shorts and continuity. thing is i f**king hate electrics

Ive just been having a think...

If you've changed the relays and checked the fuses (inc the fuses for continuity) there isnt much else it can be other than the loom. When my Immobiliser was still 'active' the fuel pump would prime, but not run when cranking. It wouldn't let the injectors or coilpack fire anyway if that was the case IIRC

I would have a pull/push on the wires in the two connector blocks, along with the ECU connector, but if that makes no difference I'd be saying wiring issue :( If I hadn't parked my car so far away for a while I could have brought my ECU to you, but its over 30 miles away now!

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
yeah im coming to the conclusion its the loom.

ive had a push and pull on the wires and they all seem to be ok also checked them for continuity and all seems fine, but i still want to replace the connector eventually. just got to figure out the max amperage going threw the connector. anyway

the thing that is really strange is the constant 0.18v to the pump even with no relays or key in ignition. which also make it seem like a loom issue

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
yeah it is weird especially seeing as i didn't have any power going to the pump on Sunday when i tested it except on ignition 2. but that was only 0.01v

not now did the night it wouldn't start and all it did was click on and off rapidly. when i tested it on the bench it did the same and didn't have continuity. since replaced it with one that works/tested.

Last edited:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
just removed the loom,didn't take as long as i thought it might. allot easier to remove the injector plug compared to the original valver loom

the bay look very minimal, wish it could look like this all the time.
STA60266.jpg

STA60268.jpg

the loom
STA60269.jpg

now the fun begins :(:dapprove:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
been chasing wires like a mad mad and have a conclusion on what might be causing the problem and this is a big might... the coil pack

after chasing he fuel pump wires they go brown connector to relay it has two connectors to the relay sharing the same pin then to the coil pack.

and because the coil pack is in original place under the bonnet vent its been getting wet and could have blown the coil pack. but honestly i don't know I'm clutching at straws cos i can't see any other faults on the loom.

could that be the problem? or am i talking utter s**t.

Ive got a spare coil pack mate if you want to try it.... and the brown wires that go to that relay are the ones that the immobiliser relay protects IIRC (earths for injectors/coilpack)...

When it was on the car would it crank on the key but obviously have no fuel pump etc? I still think something isnt right as the ECU should prime the pump and at least one of the small black relays should click, along with the idle control valve making a noise...

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
ive got a spare but thanks mate.

there is no brown wire that goes into this relay(L) it has a red permanent live(red), ignition live(yellow), pump/coil pack(white) ant the a(orange wire) that goes to pin 69

when on the car it would crank but no power to the pump

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
i put the loom back in this morning with the new relays and new coilpack. and it starts and run fine. the new coil hasn't solved the s**t cold running which i though it might do.

anyway glad its running again and to have a car i can use now.

the only thing i can think now that can solve the s**t cold running is either a new lambda or new plug and leads but the plugs in have been used for less than 1500 miles.

Does the 172 de-cat go past where the normal 16v cat would be? so it goes into the middle section ?

i have a 172 de-cat and will be fitting it, but just want to know if i need to cut my middle section ?
I can see you cut the flange off or something? how did you connect the 2 up ?

Last edited:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
yeah it goes back into the centre section, if cut it and had an adjustable sleeve made so i could adjust it for angle and length if needs be.

if i was you id cut the decat to suit the center section and then have a cat cut to suit at a later date. im sure there is enough room on the end of the cat to do it.

i only did it this was because i couldn't get the car anywhere to do it how i wanted and it offered the best adjust-ability whilst still stuck on the drive.

most of what i did to it, is described in this post http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?472430-black-mk1-16v&p=6968993&viewfull=1#post6968993

Last edited:

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
some new stoppers

STA60270.gif

hopping to brake them down this weekend so can get the hubs machined soon. there going to be paired with a willy widetrack but going to do it with a 172 anti roll bar to help with exhaust clearance.

also i slipped with the grinder:evil:

STA60271.gif

STA60272.gif

more pic when its finished and painted

(also for 10 points who old inlets were they?)

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Ph-reebones ;)

10 points to you if you just send me your name, address, postcode, bank details, mothers maiden name and a copy of you signature i'll get them sent out to you asap

Nice one - let me know if you want the hubs machining, had loads of pairs done cheap.

will do mate ill drop you either a text or pm about them

Mk1 F4R
Nice.. tell you what with a good set of discs and pads they are brill
Everyone thats been in mine on track always say how good they are, brembo discs and carbon metallic pf97 pads.. win :)

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Everyone thats been in mine on track always say how good they are, brembo discs and carbon metallic pf97 pads.. win :)

i remember how good they were when i nearly went into your windscreen at the last kk meet.

that combo is pretty epic but i dont fancy sparks flying from wheels think standard equipment should be alright for now, either way should be a big upgrade from for the standard valver brakes

williams 2,seat leon

do they squeel at all;, ive had funky pads before with willwood and gone deaf, curentl;y have pagid blues with no probs, but as its a road car they would need to be normal.

thanks

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
They look so much neater with the coilpack bracket chopped off, don't know who started that trend :approve:

i haven't got a clue ;) but as i said i accidentally slipped with the grinder but yes they do and it means i can put the rain catcher back on.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
just realised i haven't put any pics up off the new carpet and interior so whilst give it a hoover i grabbed some snaps.

STA60273.jpg

STA60274.jpg

STA60276.jpg

STA60277.jpg

STA60278.jpg

its a leather interior from a Renault 19 16v
the fronts are a direct but the rears are to wide, they look to be a retrim of valver rear seats using the r19's leather. ideally i need to re do them so they fit better. the whole leathers need a good deep clean and dying.

whilst i was messing with the car i decided to do some of the little jobs that are pecking my head.

first up was the stereo controls. this has develop a rattle since i hanged the engine. it normal wouldn't bother me but it rattles most at motorway speeds, also i wont work with my stereo and im not paying to fortune that is need to get it work so it had to go

before
STA60280.jpg

after
STA60281.jpg

i also replaced the the hazard switch cos the light had packed in

all this needed messing with just to get it switch out
STA60282.jpg

after sorting that i noticed all the stereo wires had been messed, i quickly re wrapped them till i can get another plug sorted then i'll re do them properly

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
broke down the brake today ready to get them machined.

It took this long to do because i had to wait for a 18mm impact socket to arrive. I need this because the carrier bolts would not budge and I don't have a proper vice to to put the hubs in and get the beaker bar on them.

After removing the carrier bolt all came off fine till i went to remove the abs sensor. One of the bolts came out fine but on the other the torx bolt decided to round off. it took a lot off f**king about to sort it but firstly i need to remove the sensors. i thought they would simply pop out but no i had smash the crap out of them to get them out.

this what the inside of a abs sensor looks like

STA60283.jpg

STA60284.jpg

after smashing both side out i had to deal with the stuck/rounded bolt

i firstly cracked it with the hammer till it bend so i could then get some pliers on it.
STA60292.jpg

state of it when was removed
STA60293.jpg

the brakes broke down ready for cleaning and painting.
STA60294.jpg

but the big question is what colour do i paint them?

silver? for a look of oem
black?
orange? to match the the inlet and bring the theme threw to the exterior.

Renault Clio 1.6 CUP
thanks mate.

i'm swaying more to towards orange then i get a change of heart and want to keep it oe ish. i just can't decide:S

Well if you want i can do a photoshop of all three colors. just paste a side on photo of your car. Maybe it'll make your choice simpler :D (i still think you shuld go for orange, to liven things up :p )

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Well if you want i can do a photoshop of all three colors. just paste a side on photo of your car. Maybe it'll make your choice simpler :D (i still think you shuld go for orange, to liven things up :p )

its alright ive already ordered some orange paint. :cool: