ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of advice on high miler 172 please

172 Cup (Iceberg)
I'm going to look at a black mk1 172 on an X plate today which has covered 99,000 miles with full service history, it's up for £3,995.

Was wondering if anybody has any advice, what should i be looking for etc......

Has anybody else got a high mileage 172? I suppose i'm a bit weary of buying it and then it dying on me 10k later.

Any views would be much appreciated, thanks.

No more clio's for me!
Seems high price for the miles? Plenty of good examples around with less miles on? I could be wrong on the price, but for a couple of hundred quid more, you can get something with less mile on?

Check cambelt history (if done at 60k ish will need doing again in 15k ish miles maybe), aux belt, service history, mod's - supsension and exhaust condition, noises etc etc.

Got any pics?

Good luck.
Dan

Golf R/Leon FR
aye does seem high price for the miles, but then it could be a minter despite of the mileage.

your going to have wear and tear eg. on the steering wheel (they all do on the mk1 172)
the bolsters on the seats may have wear also.

as dan says check the exhaust they are prone to fall apart, better to have a ss one fitted. and make sure its had the cam belt changed.

172 Cup (Iceberg)
Thanks for that guys, will keep all that in mind, i personally thought it was a bit steep price wise. I will let you know how i get on later.

Cheers

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
it all depends on how patient you are. I came across a few when i was lookin for one. Check the online autotrader everyday mornin and evening because when their up they do go within a few days. Saw a couple on pistonheads.co.uk too.

The last thing you want is to rush, get a highmiler and then fork out for loads of repairs. - might as well get a ph2 lol

goodluck searchin mate.

Thats expensive there one with 109k in the for sale area for £2.7k.

I'd pay about £3k at best assuming it in good condition tax MOT and bits have been replaced.

Milage wouldn't worry me assuming the gearbox etc are all in good condition and its not been hammered.

With that sort of milage it should be very quick.