ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstien b14 or spax rsx

172 Turbo
Is it worth going for Bilstein B14 & PMS top mounts for the odd trackday, fast road use. Car isn't used as a daily

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Did you fit the kit after the coilovers or as a package?. If the former what improvement did you find?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Did you fit the kit after the coilovers or as a package?. If the former what improvement did you find?

Afterwards bud. Improvements;

- sharper steering
- reduced play and "tighter feel".
- less flex

Although, that is with the brace in addition to the top mounts. Downsides

- harsher ride

In truth, the benefits are only slightly noticeable on the billies. The stiffer you go with everything geo wise / car wise, the more noticeable the solid mounts / strut brace combo becomes.

For track and race cars, you want as little play in the geometry / suspension elements of the car as possible. Stiff be the order of the day :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cool. I've no complaints with the way mine handles at the mo. But will be getting a few tweaks to help improve it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I've currently got new cup shocks, top mounts & Cooksports that have done 1000 miles. Is the difference worth taking this all off?

Probably not mate. When you go to coilovers (if you plan to), I'd do it then.

It's a great piece of kit, but the benefits are increased if everything else is "upgraded" or "tighter".

172 Turbo
Sorry @Cub. I meant is the difference that noticeable over the standard items to make it worth me selling the bits on there at the moment.
I'm sure the upgrade from standard shocks is worth it. Just 12 months ago, this was meant to be a cheap track/road car, now it's got a quaife and its turning into the moneypit my 205 did.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
@masekwm Decent coilovers, PMS top mounts and strut brace kit will be significantly better on track than springs. Good move with the diff. Best mod on mine to date IMO.

On road, depends how hard you push it on the road tbh man.

172 Turbo
If I go for the PMS top mounts and Bilsteins, do I need to retain anything from my current set up? I assume they are all swapped out. Thanks

172 Turbo
So ordered last Tuesday, and they are now in the UK with Parcelforce. Total cost was £509, compared to PMS who sell for £720 + postage!

I'm fitting them to my recently purchased Renault top mounts rather than solids, with new wishbones and ARB bushes.

Waltz172

ClioSport Club Member
So ordered last Tuesday, and they are now in the UK with Parcelforce. Total cost was £509, compared to PMS who sell for £720 + postage!

I'm fitting them to my recently purchased Renault top mounts rather than solids, with new wishbones and ARB bushes.

Yea I've also gone with this set up, with bottom arms.
Where did you find the best place to buy the spacers for the top mounts,eBay? Or can the be found for less elsewhere

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Bargain, much cheapness!
Mine are now sat in the box in my garage until I get new topmounts and the new shell is ready to accept them.

172 Turbo
Yea I've also gone with this set up, with bottom arms.
Where did you find the best place to buy the spacers for the top mounts,eBay? Or can the be found for less elsewhere
I bought new top mounts & modified spacers from Renault last summer. The car has done 1k since so I'm just reusing them

Waltz172

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted these today, but sitting pretty high. I stuck to the height recommendations in the booklet they provide. How low did you guys go, especially on the rear, do you just wind the adjuster all the way to the top? The instructions say you should leave a 15mm min gap from the adjuster to the top part of the spring mount.
Any info guys?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My rear was set to the lowest which is fine for day to day driving even with a full tank of fuel.

I had very slight rubbing when i had my 2 kids in the back with a boot full of stuff.

15846764343_a77f3ef10d_h.jpg
004 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

14905976523_f02cea43ae_h.jpg
009 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
I've taken the adjuster ring out of the back and the rear is still pretty high tbh but mine is half stripped with no spare wheel

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted these today, but sitting pretty high. I stuck to the height recommendations in the booklet they provide. How low did you guys go, especially on the rear, do you just wind the adjuster all the way to the top? The instructions say you should leave a 15mm min gap from the adjuster to the top part of the spring mount.
Any info guys?

The lowest is still too high imo. I've got mine wound all the way on the rear and it's still high. Going to be removing the adjuster soon when the new wheels are on I reckon.

Waltz172

ClioSport Club Member
taking the adjuster out is the way to go then. Cheers chaps.
How low do you go on the fronts?
I've not yet fitted camber bolts or spacers. I suppose going too low would put extra stress on the shock and other components though

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Be careful if you go too low. I've got camber bolts and 20mm spacers and it scrubbed on the bumper bracket. Had to do some careful smashing the f**k out of it with a hammer at a track day to sort it.

Doesn't rub now though.