ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bigger wheels problem on 172

(Im posting this for a mate who doesnt yet have internet access).

Hes got a Clio 172 and has just bought some gorgeous 17" wheels. Unfortunately when he fitted them they foul against the brake calipers so he added some spacers front and rear (about 3mm). This stopped the wheels touching the calipers but they are now rubbing the inside of the wings when the suspension is under full load. Hes considering grinding some surface material off the calipers so he doesnt need the spacers or adjusting the wings somehow to make room for the wheels...

Has anyone else had this problem when fitting bigger wheels to a 172? Whats the best solution? Many thanks in advance!!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

What sort of wheels are they - and what is the offset of the wheels (marked on the inside of the rim usually)??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If he got them new from a shop take them back and tell them go give him the correct offset.

The offset of the wheels should be stamped on the back side of the alloys.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Changing the wheels isnt an option though as they are already on the car. Hes bought Toora Platinum 8 17" wheels and he reckons the offset is about 40mm from memory (but he cant change that now). The new springs lowered the car by about 20-25mm.

Has anyone tried shaving some of the surface area off the calipers or adjusting the wings to make more space? I would have thought this might be quite a common issue as I expect lots of owners upgrade the wheels...?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Its not a common issue as most of the owners make sure they get the correct offset. ;)

You could always try pulling out the sh*t gaurds, that ought to clear a bit of extra room under the arches, I wouldnt touch the calipers though.

they will be 7.5 with them been toora but if they are 40 with a 3 mm spacer thats 43 thats too much needs to be 37

KDF - I take your point but I guess it can be difficult to check these things unless youre buying from somewhere where you can try them on the car first... Out of interest what does "offset" refer to? Is this the horizontal difference in mm from the central hub to the rim?

My mate tells me the calipers on a 172 are "self adjusting" so may stick out even more when he puts new brake pads on... Given that he cant change the wheels I would have thought grinding down the calipers would be a safer bet than trying to change the wings - he mentioned changing the amount of "roll under" (?) somehow but I would expect that could be very risky...?

Does anyone know if theres a contact number/email for RenaultSport UK or someone else at Renault who could give a more definite view on whether he could attack the calipers?

p.s. Im been very impressed with the 172 by the way when Ive been a passenger - very quick car!

Renault Laguna Coupe

I doubt anyone at Renault will give the ok to attack brake calipers - theyre pretty fundamental after all. The calipers wont move with new pads - just the pistons within them.

The offset is the distance in mm between the centre of the wheel (horizontally) and the actual mating surface - so it determines the distance between the wheels and the wing & caliper.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I would have to say though that the place where the wheels were bought from have a responsibility to sell the correct size and offset wheels!

The place where I bought mine from changed my tyres for me aftet I had used them to a better size without hesitation!

if the wheels foul the calipers and they did not either supply or advise that they would require spacers to fit without touching the calpiers then they HAVE to take them back and refund or replace them with the correct wheels. this is under a trading standards law under the unfit for purpose sold clause if he has any problems changing them he should speak to citizens advice as the where he stands legally and how best to go about getting it sorted

It sounds like they are 7.5x17, there will be problems with these Im affraid, cos there just isnt the room to fit them properly without issues - whatever offset you get, one way youll be scraping the calipers or sh*t gaurds...... the other way youll be on the arches as youve found out.... these are the incorrect wheels for the car and so if the company these were bought from okd the spec then its down to them to make right any issues, and if that means changing the wheels then thats what they have to do, as Loony says they are not fit for purpose.

and trust me i know 7.5 x17 are a problem lol as i have them on mine and mine are really the wrong offset lol also toora

Lionel Richie

take them back and complain like a b**ch, best way, you dont want to be running about with huge spacers on

B 8

Black Mk2 172 [ B 8 ]

Bedazzled,

I had the same problem when I had my 17s. They were Lenso Se7en 17x7 offset 40mm. I had to grind the calipers slightly to make them fit without using spacers. Just make sure that you grind off all that is needed and not anymore. And FYI the rear calipers do move outwards once you put new pads in.

Regards, Brian

JonnyBoy, Yes thats the car - well spotted!!! The wheels are very nice but the sound they make when they touch the wheel arches when doing *20mph isnt! Sounds like theres not much he can do except go a bit slower... (Ill believe that when I see it!).

Hes also added Eibach springs, a new ECU, exhaust and air filter, plus the obligatory dark windows, so it really is a gorgeous car. It looks very nice in the rear view mirror of my Caterham 7 from a distance (just kidding)...

;)

Weeman sucks ****

Dont use spacers or grind anything down! The first set of wheels i fitted to my old car were the other way and stuck out!! MOT failure if Im correct? I phoned a few places up and asked about grinding and they said NO way! Dangerous.

Elise/VX220/R26

Bedazzled - Yeah I was talking to him for ages about all the stuff hed done on the car. I think he mentioned you actually doing trackdays. Youll have to get yourselfs up to york for the 1/4 miling m8 :)