ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big brakes using Renault parts?

Clio Mk2 Ph3
Look into mk1 laguna/safrane rear brakes, supposedly you can fit the entire rear hub assembly including stub axles etc straight on as that's what the later Cup Racers ran, the benefit is a separate hub and disks which are bigger and so Re the caliper pistons.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if the handbrake cables fit, brake lines can be adjusted easily.
+1.Scenic 1.616v!Rear caliper piston 34mm plus the bigger brake pad and the disc ~270mm!!
cenic_1_616v.jpg

Cup In bits
What kind of pads are avaliable for this setup?

Would not 197 rear calipers be more suitable with a 197 main cylinder?

Laguna is a bigger car so it should have bigger disks,pads,calipers.

197's have the same design (as in bearing part of the disk) as the Clio iirc, laguna setup or similar will be better as you can fit a bigger bearing with a separate hub/disk design, stronger and cheaper to replace disks too.

Clio Mk2 Ph3
Guys,if you want to keep your ABS,you have to put the hub and disc above!!!!
P.s GodSpeed the size of 197 cylinder is 23,8mm!The pad avaliable for this setup is this one:
p85017.jpg

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
i *think* it is....

from member mikekean:
"Just incase anyone is interested i bought 197/200 master cylinder in the end from Renault, its goes on the 172/182 no probs at all. The only things you need to change are change the rear brake line fitting for M10 instead of M12 (200 cylinder has two M10 outlets instead of M10 front M12 rear on the 172 cylinder), wind the push rod out on the servo (doesnt have to be done but there will be more slack before the pedal acts on the M/C) and you have to use the brake resivoir seals from you 172 cylinder on the 200 one. Other than that its goes straight on,

Im yet to test it on the road yet but the pedal has less travel now and is much firmer which is what i was aiming for, feels more factory now. "

found this : http://www.mister-auto.nl/fl/hoofdr...-1-cr0-1-2-0-16v-sport-197pk_v19355_g258.html

seems to be two types, what is the difference between the esp one and the one without?
and which one would I need for the 182?​

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Can I ask why you want to change it anyway? my pedal feels quality on my Cup with brembos fitted, pedal is right at the top and firm.

ESP is a stability program so I would say without. PM Mike, I'm sure he will be willing to help.

Can you post your findings in here if you do please.

Cup In bits
But a 182 has esp right?

not really sure if I want to go this route yet, though I have the feeling the pedal should be firmer. (all calipers are well bled, all hoses are new....)

They have some type of stability program iirc.

Your having issues with the pedal feel? My master cylinder is different to yours being a Cup but I have absolutely no issues or need for improvement just now, might change when/if I change to a laguna setup at the rear.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
just think it is overly long in travel, no spongyness or anything like that.
i'd prefer pressure dependant adjustability as oppossed to travel dependant (that's what it feels like to me at the moment)
No problems woith braking force or retardation whatsoever.

Clio Mk2 Ph3
Α friend of mine has on his 182CUP,front disc(bell conversion 4 stud) and AP brake caliper from Clio ph2 V6,the OEM main cylinder.No problem;)!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
just thought of something....

Mikekean talks about winding out the pushrod "wind the push rod out on the servo (doesnt have to be done but there will be more slack before the pedal acts on the M/C)" could this be done on the standard MC aswell?

and what part does he mean exactly, the piston?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
just thought of something....

Mikekean talks about winding out the pushrod "wind the push rod out on the servo (doesnt have to be done but there will be more slack before the pedal acts on the M/C)" could this be done on the standard MC aswell?

and what part does he mean exactly, the piston?

I'd imagine he's meaning the actual pushrod that comes out the servo and activates the master cylinder mate.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
thanks, so that is adjustable?
can that be done with it on the car?
or should this be fully out already on my car?

I've not had any experience of the Clio pushrod so I can't say 100% yes it can be adjusted, but I would imagine that yes it is adjustable. There's normally a lock nut to hold the rod secure that you loosen and screw out as necessary.

Clio 182 FF
This kit uses Brembo 4-pot calipers that are visually the same as on Clio 197/200, 300x27 AP discs with vents from the inside and curved vanes in the discs.

Brake parts Twingo R2

Part
EN description
ItemNr
pcs
Price a piece ex VAT
Disque AVG AP Ø300X27
Disc
Disque AVD AP Ø300x27
Disc
Etrier AVG
Caliper
Etrier AVD
Caliper
Support étrier AV Asphalte
Caliper bracket
Vis CHC M14x150-80
Caliper bolt
Vis CHC M12x125-45
Bracket bolt
Rondelle contact Ø12x24 ép:1.8
Washer

Just been re-reading through this thread. So these discs, I take it they are the same as those supplied in the Pure Motorsport kit... and basically the PMS kit it the same as this, but uses normal 197 Brembo's instead of the special R2 ones (whatever the difference is) and brackets to suit, and the PMS kit comes with custom made hoses. Have been looking at the PMS kit, but I wanted to find the disc parts to understand replacement cost for the discs first!

Clio172cup rally car
Just been re-reading through this thread. So these discs, I take it they are the same as those supplied in the Pure Motorsport kit... and basically the PMS kit it the same as this, but uses normal 197 Brembo's instead of the special R2 ones (whatever the difference is) and brackets to suit, and the PMS kit comes with custom made hoses. Have been looking at the PMS kit, but I wanted to find the disc parts to understand replacement cost for the discs first!

Ye the pms discs are the r2 discs, and the calipers are excaltly the same, no difference between the r2 ones and the clio 197/ megane calipers,

The discs ain't cheap tho mind, I think I paid 350 for the pair from rsport for mine

182 trackday racer

Yes, thats right. I think PMS got the product idea from this thread tbh.

I choose to go with the Hi-Spec discs at £120 a piece instead of these at £183 figuring Ill earn the bells in the long run. Besides bells are light and cool ;) Also going custom allow me to place the disc a fair bit further inwards allowing these discs/calipers to fit std wheels with only a 2-5mm spacer. I also find some joy in designing stuff by myself.

Last edited:
how can anywhere justify over a tonne for brackets ,robbery if u ask me .i've a 172 i have myself a set of brembos to go on but was unsure how big disc to go but read through and 300mm sounds right .i'm running 17s so space is sound ,but what disks are recomended i read the r2 tarmac twingo is it or some other aftermarket.
If poss i'd like to stay all standard parts even if they are a different model so twingo ones sound good,if i go to my local man and can get some knocked up anyone else interested

Cup In bits
Scenic mk1 are 300mm, same PCD, same offset, same thickness.

And then there is bells and rotors if you want to go that way.

BG 182 FF
Can somebody tell me what area of the calliper, from a 225 megane needs machining? (a picture would be great)as I'm still a little confused after some research!
How much does it need to be machined?
Where is the best place to get 280mm brackets ?

Cheers
Ben

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
The lad in the above link Chris Powell was sorting a group buy out for members on here for the brackets I think mate

RS 133
Thought I'd pop a quick message on here.

Managed to install Grand Scenic 300mm/ 24mm thick front discs and pads using larger scenic carriers , pads but keeping the 133's 57mm Caliper.

Before
SNV32883.gif

After
DSC_1649.jpg

before (before install of brembo max )
lowerfront.gif

after
IMG_20140407_073709.jpg

7701209199 - £75.21+VAT (£90.25 inc VAT) per side
410600756R - £49.48+VAT (£59.38 inc VAT)
7701207897 - £70.40+VAT (£84.48 inc VAT) per disc

Have found better Tarox pads for the larger Brake pads or may just use 133 Ferodo DS2500 pads in the future.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pictures don't work.

What size wheels are you under as if it's 16 then that's the easy part. It's getting decent brakes under 15 that is hard.