ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182 with new private plate

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Morning all,

Some of you may of seen the thread I had about the private plate I got from the DVLA auction, I had been looking for years to find something decent. I found the plate was available but the DVlA wouldn't sell me it directly and said I would have to bid at auction for it.

Opinions welcome, good or bad I promise I wont cry.

null_zpscbfd993a.jpg

null_zps84297d66.jpg

null_zpsb25f7b41.jpg

null_zps81094460.jpg

null_zps649f2e44.jpg

null_zpsa0e7b8cb.jpg

​Austin

As said above lots of people will see it as a 55 plate without the spaces.. I would have saved the cash and just gotten one with your initials on it or something like that if you have a middle name. Looks good when you know your name is Austin

PB Clio 172
it seems like you want a £60 fine. whats the point?

like above why not save money and make your own plate with your name in it ie. AP55 ???

Suzuki Jimny
Didn't mean to start all this, just not a fan of private plates.

Stunning looking car though!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Im known as Austin, not AP is the simple reason why mate. Personally not a fan of plates made up of initials.

I fully understand the spacing issue, as mentioned I have a standard set also. As a side note though, spaced incorrectly or incorrect size plate (3/4) the result is the same either way.

Im not sure what the reaction would be from the way the plate is spaced tbh, there are a load of cars spaced differently on the local roads to me and have been the same for quite some time so they don't seem to have any issues.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I quite like it Austin, but I do wonder whether it will result in a fine.

I'm in the market for a plate (next auction hopefully), and if I get it I'll be illegally spacing too, just because I want to.

Keep us posted whether you get any bother from your local BiB.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My wife's illegally spaced plate was on our audi for 2 years, my 200 for a year and her beetle for 6 months... Never got stopped.

I think most sensible cops can see that plate and realise you're not being a bellend by changing letters with screws etc.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Unfortunately it's not what the police can read its for the ANPR cameras
If your car gets stolen just makes it harder to track down with ANPR equipped cars or if you do get stopped £60 out of pocket
Also assuming that the car was originally a 55 plate 182 otherwise £1000 fine for trying to make a car appear newer than it is

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Unfortunately it's not what the police can read its for the ANPR cameras
If your car gets stolen just makes it harder to track down with ANPR equipped cars or if you do get stopped £60 out of pocket
Also assuming that the car was originally a 55 plate 182 otherwise £1000 fine for trying to make a car appear newer than it is

Im not sure it would be possible to buy a plate if it wasn't going on a car of the same age. The DVLA ask for the current registration plate of the car so if it was, for example a 54 plate, the certificate would come back with a refusal. Of course, my 182 is a 55 plate to start with.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I quite like it Austin, but I do wonder whether it will result in a fine.

I'm in the market for a plate (next auction hopefully), and if I get it I'll be illegally spacing too, just because I want to.

Keep us posted whether you get any bother from your local BiB.

Good luck with the auction Tim. I will report back any issues, although i intend on putting the correctly spaced plate on anyway as it still looks good that way also. My name is quite a rare name and people who know me recognise what the plate says straight away, but i understand why those may just think its a 55 plate reg, especially if you don't know any "Austin's" so aren't used to hearing/saying the name.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
My wife's illegally spaced plate was on our audi for 2 years, my 200 for a year and her beetle for 6 months... Never got stopped.

I think most sensible cops can see that plate and realise you're not being a bellend by changing letters with screws etc.

There is honestly a load of cars in my area spaced like this mate. Like you said, its when people try and change the actual characters or put (.'s) in etc that it is recognised more.

PB Clio 172
Just because everyone else is against the law you want to join them ?

Be my guest and enjoy your fine. Petrol stations have anpr cameras you are asking for unwanted attention IMO

Jeeze why is everyone shitting the bed about it? There's giving advice and there's attacking someone on there actions. There are much worse out there than that and chances of getting stopped purely for the spacing is slim. It's only if your acting a **** gaining unnecessary attention that they'll pull you up on it...

Jeeze why is everyone s**tting the bed about it? There's giving advice and there's attacking someone on there actions. There are much worse out there than that and chances of getting stopped purely for the spacing is slim. It's only if your acting a **** gaining unnecessary attention that they'll pull you up on it...

Not necessarily, I got pulled for an illegal plate just going shopping on a sunday afternoon.

either way plate looks good Austin!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Not necessarily, I got pulled for an illegal plate just going shopping on a sunday afternoon.

either way plate looks good Austin!

Cheers fella. I actually like it when spaced correctly also, to me and people who know me, although yes it is a 55 plate, it is still clear what it says. The fact i had wanted one for the past 8 years combined with the excitement of finally getting one is why i bought both a correct and incorrectly spaced set and put this one on to take pictures. I said to my other half it will be interesting to see who comments on the spacing and how far they go with their comments, interesting how some people speak in a friendly way while others get quite aggressive while making the same point lol.

I wonder if people get so heated when people show off their 3/4 plates, as i pointed out earlier, characters spaced incorrectly or incorrect plate size, the result is still the same. Although imo, a 3/4 plate with small letters would be more of a hinderance to see than correctly sized characters with a gap in a different place to where it should be.

Looks sweet Austin, Bet it was a good feeling finally getting your name after 8 years!!!

I'm using my 3/4 for road use, F**K the police!! ha ha Just kidding before the heat kicks in. We aren't criminals just take pride in our cars, most police won't bother I had two riot vans and 3 cars on my street and they all walked past when I was cleaning my car, they just said I had done a good job and it looked nice.