ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Better vs fun

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Odd question maybe, but here goes.

I've modded a few cars in the past and enjoyed the extra grip and better handling, but sometimes that has come at the expense of fun/involvement.

I'm completely in love with the level of feedback I get from my well worn 182 but I know if I refresh the suspension there is tons more performance to be found. So the question is do I stay OEM or upgrade? More performance is good, but if it stops me grinning like a Cheshire cat when cornering I'd rather stick with the OE setup.

The car is a weekend toy/track car not a daily. If I make sure all the bushing is sorted then go for some decent coilovers and an ARB am I going to lose any of the cars playful nature or enhance it?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I would go with fresh shocks and cooksports/ eibachs. It won't ruin anything then.

Coilovers, whilst transform the car also make it a bit tiresome and uncomfortable sometimes.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's quite an eye opener how much difference a refresh on any car makes. I personally prefer standard. Everything on the Clios is also very well matched. If you upgrade one bit then something else will suffer. Track tyres are the usual culprit for causing a brake and suspension upgrade.

I couldn't put up with Uprated springs over the cups setup round where I live and I mainly do Airfield days where running wide can leave you needed a little more ride height.

Smooth tracks and better roads and the springs would be a nice upgrade.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
New OEM bushes, rod ends, tie rods, B14 coilovers. Job done
I agree with this tbh. Only thing I'd say different would be kw v2's as they have give you the option for damper adjustment. If you buy brand new genuine wishbones they come with the bushes and rods as well so makes more sense imo.

Cheap coilovers will ruin the handling.