ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best type of exhaust paste to use?

monaco 172
Fitted my janspeed a few weeks back but have noticed im still getting a tiny bit of liquid dripping from some of the joints on a cold start up. Ive had a feel for blowing and can feel a small amount of air blowing from the center to cat joint.

I used some paste called fire putty which was white and set rock solid and then just crumbled off.

What do you guys use? Is there anything out there that stays rubbery and doesnt set brittle?

2003 Clio 172
I strongly recommend Bosal exhaust assembly paste.....its awesome. It lubricates to allow you to get the bits together and then exands and hardens to seal the joint.

JJ

ITB'd MK1
strongly advise to not use exhaust paste that sets hard and to use only silicon. It sets with a degree of flexibility, cannot crack and fall out, and will cope perfectly well with the temperature of the exhaust

2003 Clio 172
Well......never EVER had a problem with Bosal gear..........granted im not a mechanic by trade but used to work in a garage on weekends.

One of my main jobs was exhausts and i maybe had say, 1 in 20 come back that required a bit of extra work and sealing.

Jj

Track 172cup
strongly advise to not use exhaust paste that sets hard and to use only silicon. It sets with a degree of flexibility, cannot crack and fall out, and will cope perfectly well with the temperature of the exhaust

any recommendations for silicon Danny ?

need to get some soon

Lionel Richie
agree with danny, paste should be banned, its s**t

high temp silicone ONLY, available from most motor factors

monaco 172
What's going to be the best way to apply this silicone then? Am I going to need to disconnect the parts again and apply or can I just smear it Onto all the joints?

S4 Avant
The pastes are sh*t as said. I was forever struggling to seal the exhaust with paste. Having now siliconed it, it hasn't leaked for a good 18 months. Rest of the exhausts f*cked though :dapprove: Hurry up with the yozzas fred!

Dodgy one

This, another for dont bother with paste

2003 Clio 172
Is there a certain amount of play or abuse from engine movement in these exhausts then?

Never, NEVER had a problem with "hard" setting pastes.

Just curious

Jj

S4 Avant
Theres always movement in the engine and exhaust, it's all suspended from rubber bushes. As the paste sets hard, it can't flex, and cracks and breaks off.

2003 Clio 172
Right, like.....you know the way that i was "the paste pioneer"........?

Well, scratch that :rasp:

172 is blowing like billy from the slip over joints (aftermarket item)....looks like paste was used to assemble at some stage.

So, I am going to follow the gurus and re-assemble using silicone.

You all mentioned high temperature silicone.

Which of the following is the right stuff or would any of it do?

this
this
this
this
or this?

Excuse the plethora of links, just want to do this once do this right etc

Cheers
Jj

Suzuki Ignis
Loctite 5910 Premium Silicone Black Gasket Maker/Sealant was advised in the second post ffs.

Get this, works fine, I resealed mine with this stuff yesterday, holding up so far.