ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best SQ

IM looking to make a new system in my new car considering i wrote off my old one. In my old one i had some amped alpine components and a vibe12" sub which sounded good. But for the bass im looking for somthing with more quality than the vibe. I was thinking about going for a complete alpine type-R system with 2 pairs of components and the 12", does anyone know what the quality of sound from that sub is like? Whats the best of the best? Whats infinity like or kicker? ALso i was thinkin about maybe going for the blaupunkt transparent range to go for a cool looking system

Hi

If its quality youre after then go for a crystal COMP sub. They have the best SQ I have ever heard from a sub. Even the 12" will sound like a 10" for punchy bass in the right box.

As far as components are concerned. I would recommend Crystal again or Audiobahn. Alpine make good headunits and processors etc but for subs and speakers you would be better going for something from the US.

Hope that helps.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

http://www.evilice.co.ukwww.evilice.co.uk

how much money do u want to spend teh alpine stuff is good but it has to be amped or it will sound pants,

personally if u want sq im partial to the JL range, but it all depends on your budget, if u can afford it go for the W7 even the ten inch will beat any sub on the market hands down even twelves and will drop like a 15 in a awell designed box

but they are £800 for a singel ten in a box, but the W3 12v2 is only £200 and sounds superb, one of our saturday lads has 2 12" W3s in his 16v and that rocks,

so its up to you how far u wanna go,

evil ice why would u want a 12 to punch like a ten? surely it all depends on the amp u have to match it and how u set it all up and what music and every other component in your system?

Tom

What i meant with that was that with Crystal subs they are designed specifically for sound quality. Basically even though you get the benefit of the lower bass from a 12 it will still keep up with fast paced tracks like a 10 does. As you say, it depends on the amp that youre powering it with but as long as theres enough going through it the Crystal is hard to beat.

As a sidenote. I would have to seriously disagree with the statement that the JL W7 will beat any sub hands down..thats a joke right!! Yes they are good subs, look and sound nice but youve obviously never heard an RE or Digital Designs sub. They are recognised as probably the best sub on the market at the moment. The RE 10" XXX will obliterate a 10W7 and is only £350. Im sorry if that rattles any JL fans out there but its a fact...If anyone wants to check this theory..feel free to come and have a listen to our demo car during show season as there will be 2 RE HC12s in there pounding away.

RoodRT - if you can give us a budget as to how much you would like to spend on a sub we can recommend a few suitable ones.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

EVIL ICE

my friend you are most defiantley got your self a challenge there,

i will have my one (yes single) W712" running of jus the one amp,

an u say u are running 2 x RE HC12s? of what amp?

Tom

p.s. seeing as the conversation was started on the SQ front i belive the challege should be a SQ comp? so i hope your 2 x 12s like SQ

regards

Our demo car isnt really designed for SQ but we can build another one with RE HC12s that can be. It wouldnt really be a fair fight otherwise.

In the sub department of our car we will have by the end of next week 2x RE HC12s with a Rockford bd500.1 on each sub running at 1ohm (roughly 1kw per sub). Then we have the 2x Kicker Solobaric 15s behind those with either a Resonant Engineering RE35-1D or Rockford 1000.1 amp running both (around 1kw per sub again)..backed up by 4 Optima batteries. As you can probably guess. We are hoping for a decent db figure with it but as far as SQ goes..well i dont know.

RE subs are seriously good though. JL W7s are also good but are horendously overpriced and certainly arent the be all and end all of the SQ sub world.

Actually ive just had a plan. As i read in another post you dont particularly like Audiobahn equipment. How about if we put a demo car together to compete with yours on a similar level. Well be using a single Crystal 12" CMPX2 on an Audiobahn A2300HCQ amp. Crystal subs really are the best subs for SQ i have ever heard and will take the 2400 Watts the Audiobahn will chuck at it pretty well...oh and they are only £355 each too..much cheaper than the JL.

How does that sound..are we on for a soundoff?

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

evil ice,

i like the sound of your plan, and i would be happy to challenge you to a SQ sound off,

on the smae note i think it would only be fair to open up the event to anyone else who would like to have a go, the competitions are not just for people likle us but everyone can have a go,

evil ice what car will u be using and are there any other parameters for "our" competition,

i will have to arrange the date with u respectfully as i am quite busy but very keen to compete, as u can appreciate with working in the ICE trade.

Tom

This is gonna be fun.

Our SQ setup is going to take a little while to get sorted to be honest as we will have to start from scratch on another car..plus we have to get the equipment for it. As you will know its not just a cse of sticking a sub in a box with an amp and away you go.

I dont know what car it will be yet for the SQ install. I would like a Renault 21 Turbo as the Jag is being sold to fund it but that wont be very good for an SQ car. On a sidenote..has anyone ever tried putting a system in a Jag..its a mission from hell.It took an hour to get the doorcard off..seriously!!!

Russ

russ

no problemo my car is in the planning stage at moment and i am waiting on some equipment so after april will be good,

what model jag?

Tom

ok, it sounds like we both have a project to get on with then.

The Jag is an E Reg XJS. They come with stupid 4" speakers in the front and back doors which are terrible. and then they have 2 5" speakers under the rear seat which are just as bad. I was going to do an SPL install in it but its way too much hassle.

Russ

back doors??? in a XJS????? mate, youd better make sure you havent been conned! That sounds like a cut-and-shut job if ever I heard one! lol:D

Oops sorry my mistake..not the XJS. I was gonna buy one of those but it was knackered so i got one of the 2.9 XJ6s. Its alright for a run about.

Russ