ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best place for a gearbox rebuild?

Clio Sport 172 ph2
Hey guys,

So I bought my 2002 172 a couple of weeks ago and found that it was popping out of third under braking/deceleration, and slightly crunching occasionally under hard acceleration. I’ve swapped out the dogbone bushes for Polybushes so far and this weekend I’ll be replacing the upper gearbox mount and then changing the gearbox oil.
So first off I need to know which oil is best to replace mine with, AND if I find that the oil is glittery, where is best to send off a spare gearbox to for a rebuild?

Thanks,

Josh.

Clio sport 172
I took mine to recon gearboxes in merfield West Yorkshire to be rebuilt and it’s perfect now [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio sport 172
I think it cost me about 200 quid but my gearbox was in good condition they just rebuilt what was nackerd and checked everything else and then put nee oil in

dan's cast offs.
I think it cost me about 200 quid but my gearbox was in good condition they just rebuilt what was nackerd and checked everything else and then put nee oil in

don't want to pee on your chips but they've not do much to it for £200 that's for sure.

Clio sport 172
Well yhh I know it sounds cheap but I definitely know it’s been redone as I took the car in on a trailer, I saw the parts go in and the new oil aswell im not saying for that everything has been fixed, as I put in my first comment I said they checked everything for me and fixed what were nackerd. My gearbox is now perfect and has no crunches.

Last edited:
  monaco 172
So for 200 they stripped the box out the car, took the box apart, refit it, filled it with oil?

Be lucky to get the box took out and put back in for 200 quid let alone rebuilt.

Sounds to me like either extremely good mates rates, or the box never actually made it off the car and they just changed the fluid and possibly fit new mounts.

Clio sport 172
Yhh they took the box out, they fitted new circlip for the diff checked the rest of the box was okay and if any thing else needed replacing and gave it a clean before putting new oil in and refitting

Clio ph2 172
Id remove the box for £200 but I certainly wouldn't be putting it back in lol
They might've just needed the work or someone made a mistake and misquoting it, either way if they did what you say they did you got the deal of the year!