ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Newsgroup Provider

Polo GTi
Hello,

Can anyone recommend me a good newsgroup provider, used to use Claranews back in the day, no idea if they are any good these days.

Good retention is a must.

Been out the loop for a while, I remeber using powergrab and it taking an age to even download the headers in some of the groups, I believe you can do it through the web now and pick what you want to download?

Thanks

Rob

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
easynews. Web interface, online search, auto-par and auto--unrar of archives.

NNTP is so 90's.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've never had any problems with Giganews but they are not the cheapest provider.

Powerusenet seem to offer a similar service for slightly cheaper inc 256bit SSL

172 Cup
Giganews is easily the best if you're prepared to pay a couple of quid more a month.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
with newsgroups can you get more recent stuff than regular torrents? i get pretty recent stuff from the usual places...just wondering if its worth the money besides obviously giving you SSL and a quicker download time....i've read the sticky btw.

Citroen DS3 DSport
David I think most things seem to hit the newsgroups at the same time as torrents but the added speed and security of newsgroups is worth the money. Giganews will allow you to sign up for a 10GB download trial, all you need to pay for are some Newzbin search credits. This way you can see if it is beneficial to you or not.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh i'm all signed up and downloading thanks for your help mate.

Anyone know why my downloads are capping at 350kps when it should be more likr 400-450? just wondeirng if i've configured it wrong.

Iceburg 172FF
Was on newshostings unlimited plan but switched to giganews for the 200 day retention. Used 25GB in a week so am now going back to newshosting.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
no...weird. i'll make sure i setup port fowarding then to make sure...not sure why that is.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
easynews. Web interface, online search, auto-par and auto--unrar of archives.

NNTP is so 90's.

Just checked easynews, 20gb a month isn't massive is it?

Noticed it does say 20gb web and 30gb NNTP

50 day retention. Awesome completion.

Auto par and auto-unrar are worth it alone.

You get more gb's on NNTP because anything you download will be larger and you have to get the headers.

I've not used NNTP for a long time because the HTTP interface is so much easier and better.

Unused bandwidth rolls over, i've got 240 gig in my "bank".

Iceburg 172FF
Whats retention?

Its how long the posts/files stay on the server. if you have an account with only 50 days retention and you are trying to download something that was posted 55 days ago, you wont be able too.

Fabia vRS
astraweb are the best for the money as long as u don't need ssl.

i pay £8 a month and get unlimited downloads, 20 connections, and no speed cap, 120 days retention.

Clio 182
I have been with giganews, newshosting & easynews. All of them were good giganews was the fastest and obviously has the best retention & completion but i am with Easynews as the support is fab and being there 6 years i get plenty of extra gigs :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
I was with Giganews for a brief while but had major issues with my d/l speed, due to Plusnet slowing it right down AFAIK.

I'm in the process of moving to Sky - anyone know if I'll be able to maintain a decent d/l speed with Sky Broadband?