ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best List 1C tyre

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
I’ve been away from racing my Clio for a couple of years and wondered which list 1C tyres are the current favourites?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Personally I couldn't beat Avon ZZR's when they were on the 1B list (which are now 1C's)
Rich

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Rich
If the 15” ZZRs had the same tread pattern as the 13”, I think that they would be perfect, but the 15s didn’t feel as stable as the old 888s on my mate’s Westfield Race car, so I have almost ruled them out. Maybe if they were shaved it might be different.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Rich
If the 15” ZZRs had the same tread pattern as the 13”, I think that they would be perfect, but the 15s didn’t feel as stable as the old 888s on my mate’s Westfield Race car, so I have almost ruled them out. Maybe if they were shaved it might be different.

Yes I have to agree the 13's have a lot less tread (cut grooves) that 15's and I have to admit that I only used them in Hillclimb competition so I ran them in the A24 compound (mega soft) so might not directly translate to a good circuit tyre.

Rich

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
New yoko AO50 seem to be hearing very good things about even against DZ03g..

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
In cold conditions the ZZR are in another world to anything else ive personally used (of the common 1b/1c track tyres). I want to try out the DZs this year as they always reviewed well. What use are you intending?

olly-r

ClioSport Club Member
  clio
Depends how long your race is really , I do msv trackday trophy, 45 min race , I use direzzas

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
My races are 20 minutes. Getting the rears to come in quickly is very important, because reversing into the barriers at Quarry (Castle Combe) or disappearing backwards down the escape road at the hairpin (Pembrey) on the first lap is never good!
20 minutes is unlikely to result in any serious issues with overheating at the front (assuming that the set up is good), so I need something that heats up quickly and is working reasonably well within a lap, so 888Rs or Direzzas look like the way to go. I might run 205s on the front and 195s on the back to try and get some balance.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
03G’s are spot on, great performance from cold and after a warm up lap are ready to go, can’t fault them.

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Yes. No reason at all why the front and rear tyres can’t be different. As we know, the rear tyres are pretty much passengers on Clios, so providing they make the rear follow the front and give a decent balance, they can be different makes or sizes. Main issue would be not being able to transfer the rears to the front to balance wear.

I think you should also look at the Kumho Ecsta V70A. .... They are now list 1C. I used them for about 6 seasons on the old Caterham (hillclimb, sprinting and trackdays - pretty good with 14 class wins in 2015). I generally used super soft compound but i think just soft compound may be ok for circuit time. As they have a good tread pattern they are also pretty grippy in the damp or light rain.

v70a-195x300.jpg

Some 5 star reviews on Demon Tweeks. Shop around for some very good prices - there is a guy in Wales who will do them just above cost price.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 & BMW 335D
My races are 20 minutes. Getting the rears to come in quickly is very important, because reversing into the barriers at Quarry (Castle Combe) or disappearing backwards down the escape road at the hairpin (Pembrey) on the first lap is never good!
20 minutes is unlikely to result in any serious issues with overheating at the front (assuming that the set up is good), so I need something that heats up quickly and is working reasonably well within a lap, so 888Rs or Direzzas look like the way to go. I might run 205s on the front and 195s on the back to try and get some balance.

I run 205 direzza on front and 888r 205 on the rear, I like it only problem I had last year was on a hot day the tears were getting warm and slightly loose coming to the end of my race