ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best gear changes for the situation...

Clio 182 FF + Cup Packs
Hello,

Well had my 182 for 1 week and 5 days now and I`m loving everything about it....

I was just wondering is there a best time to gear change on 182;s depending on your situation.... e.g

1. Normal town driving @30/40mph - higher gear between 2000 - 3000 rpm

2. Wanting to race some chomp gary boy at the lights - rev each gear to 5500 and change

Your thoughts welcome....

RS 172
Cant give a definite answer as I drive a non-RS, but I'm pretty sure you can get more revs out of each gear than 5500.

Clio 182 FF + Cup Packs
yeah true, its read lines at 7200, but im sure i read something that the power range is between 5500 and 6500, i know the vvt kicks in at 5000rpm

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
1. how ever you feel comfortable if you trying to save on fuel then change after not many revs

2. change as quick as you can just before redline

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
when racing use the shift light

although the shift light is a good idea its not bright enough in my opinion if im racing someone (on private road) i don't wanna be looking at my dash waiting for the shift light id rather be consentrating on the road i usually go by ear

RS 172
although the shift light is a good idea its not bright enough in my opinion if im racing someone (on private road) i don't wanna be looking at my dash waiting for the shift light id rather be consentrating on the road i usually go by ear

Can you get dash mounted shift lights? Like the ones on the Enzo steering wheel?

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini

Can you get dash mounted shift lights? Like the ones on the Enzo steering wheel?

yea don't see why your cnt wire some in your idea thing would be to get some leds on top of your dash, as you go hiya up the revs 1 more turns on then when you should they should flash like a loonatic in a long coat

Clio 182 FF + Cup Packs
yeah think I have seen a unit like that before, road master or something? Not sure how the wiring for it works tho.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just do it, i hadn't driven a car for nearly a year before hand, and that was a 1.2 corsa.

172 ph2
i dint av mine on the limiterfor a month or so,he does rate,new car needs to get used to it.

people would moan if he took it off the fore court and red lined it into a wall

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

The "kick" at 4500-5000 rpm isn't the VVT. Its the engine coming "on cam". The cam, the exhaust the inlet tuning all start working together at about those revs, and you notice it.

The VVT isn't there to come in at 4 or 5 or 6,000 rpm to give more power like on some Japanese cars, it simply retards the inlet cam at very low revs to give the engine a smooth clean idle. And it retards again, we're told at about 6800 rpm, though no-one seems sure why, except perhaps to drop power as an incentive to not push the car to the red line/limiter.

These are issues that have been talked about over and over and over and over again as each new person comes onto the forum.

If you want maximum performance you want to change up between the power peak at 6500 rpm and the VVT retarding the inlet cam at 6800 rpm, and definitely before the rev limiter kicks in at 7200 rpm. I understand the shift light comes on at about 6700.

I have to agree with those who don't like the little shift light on the dash. If I'm in a hurry the last thing I want to have to be watching is a little light on the dash. Maybe that's OK on a race car where the shift light is up high just at the bottom of your vision, but if its not where you can see it without taking your eyes off the road it ought to use another sense. Sound would be a possibility. A beep. A ding.

I'd hate to buy a members cars from here. Some giving out info don't have a clue at all :dapprove:
The rest just seem to drive everywhere bouncing off the limiter :rolleyes:

Scirocco GT 210
What a bizzare topic

and by the way...... you don't have VVT

They do have VVT, but it isn't what causes the slight power increase at 5k rpm. VVT kicks in at 1.5k and deactivates at about 6.8k IIRC. Helps with low down torque and idle or something.

And rev higher than 5.5k, change gear at about 6.7-6.8k.

Ha ha, I love it when n00bs come on here and are shot down in flames.

What the hell were you thinking that the kick ay 5k was the VVT kicking in? It's obvious it's just the engine becoming "on cam". Oh and the shift light is in fact a "you can't drive you tw@t change gear even though you're too late" light.

Mucho gracias.

The guy has come on here and asked for a bit of help and advice.

Everyone who is shooting him down, im sure you didnt know everything about your car when you first got it. The Clio adverts constantly mention VVT, his car gets faster at a certain point, you cant blame him for thinking thats what causing it.

Hes not offeneded anyone, hes typed in a readable way and you all give him s**t. If you want to abuse someone, theres plenty of tossers in general chat.

I think this is a bit out of order!!

172 ph2
The guy has come on here and asked for a bit of help and advice.

Everyone who is shooting him down, im sure you didnt know everything about your car when you first got it. The Clio adverts constantly mention VVT, his car gets faster at a certain point, you cant blame him for thinking thats what causing it.

Hes not offeneded anyone, hes typed in a readable way and you all give him s**t. If you want to abuse someone, theres plenty of tossers in general chat.

I think this is a bit out of order!!

well said,its my fault i said use the shift light,sorry.

M140i

What the hell were you thinking that the kick ay 5k was the VVT kicking in? It's obvious it's just the engine becoming "on cam". Oh and the shift light is in fact a "you can't drive you tw@t change gear even though you're too late" light.

Mucho gracias.

Any need, I dont think so? Not everyone is going to be clued up 100% on the workings of their car when they purchase so give the guy a break

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't the cup racers have a lower red line than the stock cars? I was told best change up point is at revs that give peak power?

Mucho gracias.

Any need, I dont think so? Not everyone is going to be clued up 100% on the workings of their car when they purchase so give the guy a break

???

I was trying to get across that all the members were having a go at him?? And that when anyone new comes on here they get shouted at for asking questions??

Not having a go at him. Jesus christ. Don't have a go at anyone else though will ya.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Nothing wrong with seeing the shift light all the time, in 5th ;)

M140i
"Ha ha, I love it when n00bs come on here and are shot down in flames.

What the hell were you thinking that the kick ay 5k was the VVT kicking in? It's obvious it's just the engine becoming "on cam"

I just think that was a bit harsh on the guy