ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best engine oil to use on track days

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I use the TripleQX 5w40 from Euro Car Parts and before that was just the Elf Evolution stuff.

Cheap and good enough for these engines tbh, they're not a Ferrari.

Would rather change a cheaper oil more often, than use expensive stuff and change less.

clio 172 phase 1
Thanks for that lads, I've been told to use 5w 50 for track seen as 5w 40 is recommended for everyday use,
What would ye think?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It's the higher number in the oil grade that's important, that's the operating figure.

5w50 and 10w50 will be the same at operating temperature. 5w50 being thinner from cold.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I use the TripleQX 5w40 from Euro Car Parts and before that was just the Elf Evolution stuff.

Cheap and good enough for these engines tbh, they're not a Ferrari.

Would rather change a cheaper oil more often, than use expensive stuff and change less.

I was using elf and changing it after each trackday but noticed it was going black and probably breaking down due to the heat, I changed to the gulf and that is fine even after a few trackdays, I would rather spend a little more on oil that can work at high temps.
I run a oil cooler and temps are still at 110oC don't know what they are without but would expect 130oC is not far off.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Depends on what quality they are? I'd preferably like height and dampening adjustability.....

I use Gaz Gold's, expect to pay around 1k though, both height and dampening adjustable, can't fault them to be honest. If budget allows AST's are another step up again but then you also pay a premium for them