ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best dual bay NAS with cloud backup?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This is for my uncle's business, he's currently running the same setup as me which is a cheap meebox with a couple of drives in it. It works but it's slow and unsupported now.
So I said I'd sort something else out, I've seen this - http://www.dabs.com/products/buffalo-linkstation-220-series-2tb--2-x-1tb--2-bay-nas-9FGY.html?src=2
I can set this up RAID1 and we'll have the functionality we have now, but with faster read/write access. We are then interested in incorporating a cloud backup, is this possible? He doesn't mind paying for cloud storage, google is $10 a month for 1TB which he's happy to pay.

Also looked at the Synology products, which seem a really neat solution, but cost a bit more.

Any other products I should look at that do this better?

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Synology seem to be the leaders in the home to small business fields. I have had a single and two bay zxyel nas for a number of years and for the price have been faultless. I stream bluray rips so high bandwidth with no problems

Cayman S Edition 1
I've had a Synology NAS for over 4 years now, but back it up to an external drive attached to my PC using Synctoy. I tried using Amazon's cloud backup service once, but it was too pricey.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, looks like Synology is the way to go. We'll purchase this as soon as the new tax year comes around.
Just deciding now if we should go for a 2 bay RAID1 solution or a a different RAID level with a usb external HDD and nightly backups for better performance. Although with a cloud backup I do have to wonder if hardware failure redundancy is required at all?

1TB of Google Drive is $10 a month, the business will pay for it so it will be fine cost wise. Or for the same price we could get a 1 user google apps account, same storage limit and then he could migrate his email from outlook but the domain is looked after (and owned) by another company who might not be so willing to do this.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers, looks like Synology is the way to go. We'll purchase this as soon as the new tax year comes around.
Just deciding now if we should go for a 2 bay RAID1 solution or a a different RAID level with a usb external HDD and nightly backups for better performance. Although with a cloud backup I do have to wonder if hardware failure redundancy is required at all?

1TB of Google Drive is $10 a month, the business will pay for it so it will be fine cost wise. Or for the same price we could get a 1 user google apps account, same storage limit and then he could migrate his email from outlook but the domain is looked after (and owned) by another company who might not be so willing to do this.
Synology are good. Robust boxes.
2 Bay RAID 1. Then USB external backup as a offsite option.

Cloud backup, look at onedrive, its pretty good and affordable.